Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:48 am

I just finished pumping gas into my car and this guy with a little kid in the back seat asks me for one dollar. He said, they were watching the game all day and he just wanted to the get the boy something to drink and he had no more money after he paid for gas. I looked in the car and there was this adorable little boy smiling and waving at me. I just handed it over, he thanked me and there was no problem. He actually was putting gas into his car. When I got home and told this to my family, everybody got upset and said that I was lucky I wasn't robbed and hurt. I guess Lady Luck was with me. Any experiences with this? :? Now, I feel hyper-focused on this and really creeped out. I called out sick from work because I feel scared. I'm not even sick. :heart:

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 6:56 pm

It's quite common for thieves to use cute kids to distract potential victims, so you're not the only one.

But if he was really a thief, he'd "ask" for far more than money for a drink.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2017, 7:13 pm

I live in the city & there's lots of bums around who ask for money. I also travel by Greyhound a couple times a year to see my family & there's always people in the New York station asking for money. My girlfriend used to give to them if she had small bills on her but some were very rude & pesty about it so she quit. Her dad told her a story about how a guy asked him for money as a ruse to see how much money was in his wallet before the guy robbed him. That was a long time ago thou. I think most people asking won't rob you especially if your in an area where there's other people around or likely security cameras but you cant trust how the the people will use their money. For example one time we were waiting for a bus & a guy asked for money to get on & was talking about how he didn't have money in general. We didn't give to him because we didn't have change & then he started talking about how he was going to buy weed later. He snuck on the bus through the back door.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 5:34 am

My dad's default response is, "I'm all tapped out". They always walk away right after he says it.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 8:06 am

Sorry, I don't carry cash for bums.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
My dad's default response is, "I'm all tapped out". They always walk away right after he says it.
My default response is that I use cards for everything which is true. I only keep $20s in my wallet but I never say that to them. One time I told a bum my default response & he asked if I could buy him a beer after. I said I didn't have the money rite now. I was heading back from a store & we weren't that close to one when he asked & I also don't condone that use of money when your having to ask others for it but if I had a few bux on me I might of given him some & he could of used it how he wanted. I rather do that than go out of my way to a store to buy someone a beer.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 8:56 pm

Once I gave a guy $5 at Burger King just so he would go away from me. My dad was in the restroom at the time. I thought the guy seemed withdrawing from drugs, but to my surprise he actually purchased food with it and thanked me profusely.