how did you come up with your career?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Jun 2007, 4:46 pm

i guess this is a pretty general question i need a change in careers, and would like to know how you came up with finally deciding what you wanted to do. my problem is i cant have motivation. to want to do anything, exept collect the things i like. i supose i could always go back to VR but i think we all remember what a nitemare THAT was. i guess what im trying to ask is how are you motivated, and how did you get it?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:13 pm

I’m motivated by my affinity for eating on a regular basis and sleeping indoors. However, that doesn’t stop me from hating my job. :(

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:15 pm

personally I think career is a load of bs. Do you think Michelangelo thought 'I wonder what one thing I want to do for the rest of my life' or Leonardo 'I'll see how it goes for a year and then maybe I can get promoted to management'?

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:24 pm

something always comes up itself. i am in science and i like it. i work alone on my own subject. i did lost motivation lately, though. it can get quite frustrating sometimes, when the work doesn't go well. my motivation is to be really good at something. i wish to be exceptionally good. that's how i gain my self-confidence. not going after the results lowers my self-confidence and then i feel i am on a risky path to feel worse and worse.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:39 pm

A career? What's that? :(

I work to live - I haven't got to the point where I live to work yet...

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:55 pm

i just do what comes next.
i am fortunate that 18 months ago when i was facing bankrupcy and homelessness an opportunity came along and i found myself in a job where i am appreciated and doing well.
i am motivated by wanting people to appreciate me which is probably not good because you have to always do that bit more each time and reach the point you can't work anymore hours.
i am saving for the time i end up jobless again.
i think you should try out different jobs and see what you like.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2007, 6:04 pm

I dont live to work either - my motivation is mostly financial but it also gets me out of the house. I work in IT so I dont have to be overly social. Im your typical antisocial database admin guy.

Currently studying for a CCNA so I can be an antisocial network guy instead - fancied a change and cant think of anything real to do.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Jun 2007, 6:19 pm

great points you guys, i just cant seem to find my game when it comes to work/job/whatever. unfortunatly im not one of these gifted aspergers. so more than likely im going to be working a labour type job, wich i might add i hate. i cant believe im going to be 27 this month and dont really have anything to show for all these years of me being alive, exept my collections

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 6:33 pm

I work in a crap job, and I'm having difficulty getting out of it, because I don't know what to do as a career. There's plenty of things I'm interested in doing, yet don't have the qualifications necessary for the job. :(

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 6:34 pm

17th and 18th century British literature is really the only thing I've ever been interested in.
It's not my career yet, I still have yet to go to college, but my goal is to be a professor of British literature.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Jun 2007, 6:39 pm

well my career is collecting rocks and sportscards, i cant find any help wanted for stuff like that. maybe if i lived in a big city i could get a job in a cardshop, i would go back to the state but they'll just treat me like a giant infant haha 8O :x

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 6:40 pm

neurodeviant wrote:
I work in a crap job, and I'm having difficulty getting out of it, because I don't know what to do as a career. There's plenty of things I'm interested in doing, yet don't have the qualifications necessary for the job. :(

Yeah, that sucks.

There's only one thing I'm qualified in that allows me to make a lot of money... Unfortunately, I really hate it. I'm beginning to realize money isn't everything.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2007, 7:37 pm

I graduated college back in June of 1999. At the time I was working in a community college part time. I applied to a number of jobs, including a full-time position in the community college that I was working in and in the same office. April 2000 I was hired and since this was the only full-time job I was hired for, I just took it. 7 years later I'm still at the same job looking for a better job and trying to survive this one daily. I have to admit it could be worse but it sure can be a lot of better at the same time.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:21 pm

Sort of fell into architrcture ass backwards. Primed for the part by the inestimable R. W. Hoffman, who was a draftsman.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:26 pm

I have always loved to read, so working at the library is the perfect job for me.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 10:25 pm

I work in construction pretty much because it was what I did for summer work in collage and I never got a job in my field and probably never will. I don't mind what I do as I work alone most of the time and find the work easy.