Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

Some of mine are:
Going to the nearby boat house and boating at sunset with my family when I was 12.
My first vacation--I was three years old and enjoying the beach in Alabama.
Exploring my mom's friend's studio when I was eight. She was an artist and lived in the woods.
Making my first real group of friends when I was in seventh grade.
Graduating high school.

What are yours?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

I pretty much only remember upsetting things... so this is a good question for me :)

Hmmmm....

My older brother teaching me to read with "The Biggest Bear" (Lynd Ward) when I was in Kindergarten. I can still smell the thick plastic dust cover and the pages of my brand new book.

Playing in the basement with my brother, building forts and listening to his rock music (KISS, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull), even though I was only 5 years old. All the girls at school listened to disco and The Bay City Rollers, but I was way cooler than that. LOL.

Christmas morning, 1975 when I got a giant Holly Hobby cardboard playhouse from Santa Claus. I loved Santa so much that I prayed to him every night of my childhood (all year), just telling him what a kind person he was. I didn't ask for gifts, I just thought he deserved recognition and appreciation all year long!

A snowy Christmas Eve night when I was about 8 years old, listening to Elvis Presley's Christmas album in the living room while we got ready to visit family friends. I could smell my mom's perfume and dad's aftershave, which meant we were going somewhere special. I was wearing a dress and I felt very pretty. I remember the nice feeling of walking in my leotards on the shag rug. Our living room Christmas tree was normally for "grown-ups" to enjoy when my parents had company, so I didn't usually spend time around it. It was so beautiful and a totally different feeling than the "kids" tree downstairs. It had soft green and blue lights that blinked on and off gently, one at a time. Everything was still and beautiful, with Elvis crooning in the background. Sigh.

Writing countless little books and binding the pages together with a needle and thread. The school librarian let me put pretend envelopes in the back of each book so kids could "sign out" my books.

Sleeping in a tent in my back yard with all of my stuffed animals, a bevy of books and my flashlight. Our swimming pool was lit up with floating lotus flowers which held little candles. My favourite stuffed animals were my leopard Leonard and my little mouse, Twitch.

Can someone please invent a time machine?

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Playing in the basement with my brother, building forts and listening to his rock music (KISS, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull), even though I was only 5 years old. All the girls at school listened to disco and The Bay City Rollers, but I was way cooler than that

Wow! My current special interest is music so I think that's amazing! You are so awesome!

I listened to 80s music when I was only eight years old.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:14 am

Thanks! Your boathouse memories are awesome, too. I love boathouses and used to have one at my uncle's and my grandpa's places. Love the slop / slop sound of the water in the boathouse and the smell of life jackets hanging to dry. Boats, lakes, fishing, sunsets.... all marvellous. I also think the artist's studio in the woods sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

My grandparents' 50th anniversary party
Various school trips
Various youth group retreats

traven
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 1:26 am

being a child
having children

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:17 am

Last week when I played a bar gig with some of my student colleagues and a guest teacher from Latvia. Also played an improvisation with said guest teacher during a jam session later that night.

Dude was really inspirational.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:46 am

A funeral I attended nearly 6 years ago of an elderly man in the congregation where I used to be a member. The gentleman was a character. He was a lifelong baseball fan. He was a bit of a comedian, and always had to have the last word. He wanted Take Me Out to the Ball Game dung at his funeral, which the music director refused to do, since it wasn’t part of the funeral liturgy.

Anyhow, the funeral went on without incident, until the postlude started. As soon as the mortician started to roll the coffin out of the sanctuary, the power went out. It took all I could to keep from breaking out laughing, since, even in death, this guy got the last word, as well as his wish to have Take Me Out to the Ball Game sung. :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 9:03 am

When all of my pets joined the family, especially Samantha and the boys, Peter, Paul and Prince