Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:06 pm

Anyone that's into electronics ever tried building coil guns or rail guns? Most of them are heavy and not as powerful though.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:13 pm

DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:
I don't let my children play with toy guns...and water guns are called "water shooters". (they only can have the really fake neon ones.)

I..am in love with knives...swords...anything sharp.

I don't keep anything harmful in my house...but I could look at sharp weapons for hours.
I have to ask this, because I've rarely been able to get an answer.
What's your reason for not permitting your children to become acquainted with the proper use and handling rules associated with firearms?

I feel they are too young (6 and 7) to completely understand the consequences of guns, or to handle the responsibility of a weapon like that.

when they are older, their uncle (who was in the military) will teach them about firearms and how to use them. I don't want them to be ignorant of guns...I just feel like at their age...they don't understand the consequences of "shooting someone in the face".

GoatMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 10:18 pm

willow wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:
I don't let my children play with toy guns...and water guns are called "water shooters". (they only can have the really fake neon ones.)

I don't keep anything harmful in my house...but I could look at sharp weapons for hours.
What's your reason for not permitting your children to become acquainted with the proper use and handling rules associated with firearms?

I feel they are too young (6 and 7) to completely understand the consequences of guns, or to handle the responsibility of a weapon like that.

when they are older, their uncle (who was in the military) will teach them about firearms and how to use them. I don't want them to be ignorant of guns...I just feel like at their age...they don't understand the consequences of "shooting someone in the face".

I was shooting BB guns at 5 years old, and handling medium-frame .38 Specials by age 8. It's just a matter of really getting the point across to your children.

Study like a scholar
Act like a gentleman
Dress like a soldier

willow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:35 pm

GoatMan wrote:
willow wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:

I was shooting BB guns at 5 years old, and handling medium-frame .38 Specials by age 8. It's just a matter of really getting the point across to your children.

I agree with you.

I know my children very well..I home school them and spend many hours playing with them...and I know that developmentally, they are not ready, nor do they understand the consequences, of using guns.

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2007, 6:16 am

willow wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:

I disagree with your premise. They don't have to fully understand at 6 and 7. In fact, this works in your favor.
When they don't understand something, they will generally look to you for guidance. If you teach them something like this:
"If you see a gun, don't touch it. Leave and tell an adult."
and then follow through to reinforce the lesson when their curiosity overcomes the lesson, and they try to touch and explore the gun.
Follow through?
Instruct that "Fire comes out of this end, and you should never point it at a a person or animal."
End of lesson. That's it. You gave them the "what to do" and the "why to do it".
This is the time for gun safety. Marksmanship comes later. Think about this: What if they are over at a friend's house and they run across a gun. Have you given them the tools to properly handle it?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Jun 2007, 6:21 am

dumbgenius wrote:
Anyone that's into electronics ever tried building coil guns or rail guns? Most of them are heavy and not as powerful though.

Was thinking about a coil gun just a few days ago :) I was thinking of weapons that would be silence. Assuming it was subsonic projectile it would be quiet. It would have to
match the kinetic energy of a 22 LR though to be a serious weapon.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 7:21 am

DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
willow wrote:

I disagree with your premise. They don't have to fully understand at 6 and 7. In fact, this works in your favor.
When they don't understand something, they will generally look to you for guidance. If you teach them something like this:
"If you see a gun, don't touch it. Leave and tell an adult."
and then follow through to reinforce the lesson when their curiosity overcomes the lesson, and they try to touch and explore the gun.
Follow through?
Instruct that "Fire comes out of this end, and you should never point it at a a person or animal."
End of lesson. That's it. You gave them the "what to do" and the "why to do it".
This is the time for gun safety. Marksmanship comes later. Think about this: What if they are over at a friend's house and they run across a gun. Have you given them the tools to properly handle it?

you're assuming an awful lot in that, in what I do or don't do. just because I don't want them to use toy guns, or have a bb gun, doesn't mean they don't know not to touch one if they come across it. =/

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:25 am

I used to be quite interested in guns. I used to go clay pigeon shooting with a friend and he had several different shotguns over the years: An ithaca 10 bore (roadblocker), a savage stevens, a couple of baikal side-by-sides and also a nice converted ruck rifle (converted to a .410). We also used to shoot air rifles and CO2 pistols. Before Dunblane (when handguns were outlawed in the UK) his dad used to go pistol shooting and he made his own ammo. Bizarely, under UK legislation, it is perfectly legal to own the constiuent parts of a bullet (i.e. firing cap, cordite, bullet and cartridge case) so long as they are not assembled. So his dad had a load of .38 and 9mm firing caps that he couldn't use so we used to shoot them with an air rifle (so you could hear a little bang when you hit the target) One day we discovered that the firing caps for those rounds were exactly .177' and so they perfectly fitted our air/C)2 pistols and so we used to fire them from those. It was quite fun as the air pressure detonated the cap so the gun made a 'bang' as you fired it. Alternatively, you could put them the other way round so they detonated on impact.

I guess I gradually grew out of the interest in guns but I still would enjoy target shooting given the opportunity.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

I collect 1911 pistols. I think I am up to 6 of them now and I enjoy them for the history behind the design. They are a classic design along with the P-51D Mustang and the 57 Chevy. They are also A LOT cheaper to collect than the other two examples. I do shoot them, but I would rather not as keeping them in as good a condition as possible is my goal. I have a myriad of different configurations of them, an older one that is about 60 years old now, one that was made in China of all places, a modern version, a 10MM chambered version, a short barreled officer model and a medium sized commander model. I find the fun in collecting them is finding the perfect piece for the collection and being able to hold a piece of history in your hands. That is where the fun lies for me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jan 2014, 4:57 am

I have a collection of knives & some similar type stuff. It's not an obsession or anything but I think that stuff is kewl. Some are pretty practical & some is mostly collectable like a replica Klingon bat'leth. One practical knife that I ordered & think is pretty kewl came in today & here's a vid of it that I saw on YouTube :arrow:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtA9xy2KNg[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

ScottF wrote:
I collect 1911 pistols. I think I am up to 6 of them now and I enjoy them for the history behind the design. They are a classic design along with the P-51D Mustang and the 57 Chevy. They are also A LOT cheaper to collect than the other two examples. I do shoot them, but I would rather not as keeping them in as good a condition as possible is my goal. I have a myriad of different configurations of them, an older one that is about 60 years old now, one that was made in China of all places, a modern version, a 10MM chambered version, a short barreled officer model and a medium sized commander model. I find the fun in collecting them is finding the perfect piece for the collection and being able to hold a piece of history in your hands. That is where the fun lies for me.

I have two 1911's myself. One is a Springfield with several enhancements and the other is a plain old Colt Combat Commander. Both are in .45 ACP. The fact that this design is over 100 years old but so many different manufacturers are making them in such large numbers is a testament to the genius of John M Browning's design.
You'd have to do a helluva lot of shooting to wear out a good quality.45 1911. Like at least tens of thousands of rounds. The 10mm one probably won't last as long but could still be shot with some degree of moderation no worries. The recoil spring and mainspring in a 1911 will need to be replaced periodically but that will need to be done any semi-auto after so many rounds.

V_for_Verbose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2014, 3:02 pm

I love weapons as well, and while I don't own any guns, I would like to someday, just like yourself jkrane.

However, I collect hand to hand weapons- fixed blade tactical knives, fixed blade neck knives, tactical folders, EDC folding knives, knuckle dusters (aluminum, brass, polymer), stiletto switchblades, self defense weapons like kubatons, nunchuku, and occasional baseball bat or escrima stick. I would like to get my hands on a handmade Japanese wazikashi or tanto sometime as well.

I think I can explain why men are so fascinated with weapons in easy to understand psychological terms. In most industrialized countries, like the United States, Canada, and Europe, the traditional male qualities and attributes have always been things of a competitive or aggressive nature- competitiveness, assertiveness, aggression, ambition, dominance, power, cunning, success, materialism, etc and so forth. These qualities can be applied to certain women, but generally, they are male attributes.

Women, on the other hand, have their traits more in tune with things of a social or emotional nature- kindness, friendliness, empathy, sympathy, love, caring about friends, caring about families, etc. Men have these traits as well, but they are more keen and observed in women, who know how to socialize naturally for the most part, where men tend to be more secluded and reserved in their mannerisms.

I stated that "power" is a male attribute. Weapons are physical manifestations of "power", having them, owning them, and using them denotes "power" whether it is used horrendously and unthinkably (think school shootings for example), or in more socially appropriate situations (the military use of weapons, police officers have Glock 17s on them and tasers, etc and so forth).

Power is an attractive quality with men, and when men feel like they lack power, they will find things to fill that unmet emotional need- whether that is collecting weapons, playing Call of Duty Black Ops to live vicariously through fictitious military characters in a video game, acting like a tough guy, or showing off by acting aggressively with a vehicle. like a motorcycle or nice car.

However, there are just men who like weapons, and have no unmet emotional needs, but just enjoy the feeling of "power".

I know as an autistic, I have felt a lack of power in my life because of my struggles, and that is why I like and admire weapons, because they are representations of "power". Thankfully, I'm not psychotic or severely ill, otherwise my fascination with weapons could be a deadly and dangerous thing. But simply put, "power" attracts men- whether it is money, nice cars, authority, weapons, or whatever else.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 12:10 am

jkrane wrote:
I am fascinated with guns and weapons.

I live in a house with two anti-weapons parents. I wasn't even allowed to have a cap gun when I was little.

I am really not a violent person, but I just think guns are really cool, I don't know why. When I move out of the house, I want to get a restricted firearms licence so I can own and use semi-auto pistols as well as rifles.

I'm Canadian, and it's too bad I can't own guns like the C8 Carbine, the M16, the AK-47, .50 Desert Eagle, SIG 550, SIG 552, MP5, and other really badass guns.

Does anyone else have this fascination with guns, knives, and/or explosives? Or can anyone at least give me an explanation as to why I might have this fascination?

you came to the right place.within a month these guys will have you on your knees proposing to an old M-60

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 May 2014, 11:17 am

Here is a pic of me with my Chinese SKS carbine:

[img][600:800]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5004239/2013-03-24%2016.45.27.jpg[/img]

I also have a Springfield Armory XD-M .45 ACP.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 11:57 am

/\ I've got an SKS, too, but it's Romanian.

KILLASHNIKOV
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2015, 10:07 pm

I think that if you are born a male you have some form of interest in firearms or weapons in general i have bin interested in guns since i was a little kid and so did my dad becuase weapons carry power