Dad dumped all the inheritance into a property with no lawye

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 12:17 pm

As title says.

My father got a device from my mother a few years ago. He's currently living with his girlfriend who he's been seeing for the last decade.

I've seen her in person and she seems nice but recently he told me he paid off the mortgage on her house and was planning to put the percentage he paid into his name on the deeds for my inheritance when he dies. After grilling him over it today he sent me an email of correspondence between a property lawyer and his girlfriend. It's all legit but after looking at the deeds myself (you can download any deeds you like I'm the UK) I noticed she only owns half of the property despite him saying she owns it all.

The second "proprietor" is a male and could simply be her dead father that makes the stake moot but I'm furious with my father for paying off a mortgage without a lawyer backing up this verbally agreed stake or even basic checking of the deeds.

This email of correspondence also appears to be sent to my dad's girlfriends daughter who is also a property lawyer and unless she knows something I don't know, I'm livid she didn't see this second owner.

My girlfriend's dad can also do whatever she likes with her deeds and exclude my dad whether she owns 50% or 100% from now on. I'm going to insist I see all communication between lawyers, my father and his girlfriend.

Seriously, what the hell is my dad thinking.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 1:58 pm

My guess would be that he is “thinking” with the wrong head.
She might be a gold digger.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 2:11 am

Misslizard wrote:

She might be yes. Apparently that other guy in the deeds signed a declaration in court saying he's surrendered his half.

How that actually works on practice I have no idea.

My dad is strangely clueless when it comes to stuff like this. He obsesses over the small details at the expense of him missing the bigger picture. He spends so long arguing and debating over every penny in an attempt to look like he's not to be messed with that his pounds are totally vulnerable.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 3:19 pm

Misslizard wrote:

It's gotten worse. I've found out that the other person on the deeds is my dads GF ex husband.

My dad has finally got a solicitor involved but........it's the friend of my dads GF ex husband who is "putting my dad" on the deeds free of charge.

I guess I can kiss goodbye to all of it. I can't believe how stupid and arrogant my dad can be at times. He's picked the most bent lawyer he could have possibly found.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 3:47 pm

Sounds like a hot mess.
My ex recently inherited thirteen acres from his deceased cousin and I’ve been telling the kids to get their names on that deed quickly.Last time he inherited around six acres and secretly sold it then squandered the money.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 4:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Sounds like a hot mess.
My ex recently inherited thirteen acres from his deceased cousin and I’ve been telling the kids to get their names on that deed quickly.Last time he inherited around six acres and secretly sold it then squandered the money.

It is. My dad is so cocky at times it's unbelievable. He thinks he knows more than the lawyers themselves.

He obsesses over and nit picks all their prices, grills them over said pricing and then acts like he's got them bent over a barrel with his incredible intellect. He spends so long in brinksmanship with the lawyers about the tiny details hoping to intimidate them that the bigger picture....the fact he's paid off someone else's mortgage without even asking a lawyer first seems to go over his head. Ironically the property in question is a 16 acre farmhouse/hotel thing with a pretty big price tag.

Cutting off his nose to spite his face comes to mind.

I explicitly told him not to use that crooked lawyer an hour ago. After arguing over "but the other solicitors charge money" and "but he wants his name taken off the deeds" (who the hell says that?) He's finally agreed but it might already be to late. If there's any problem at all with the paper work he's done for.

Oh well, on to the taxes he might have to pay now. Don't worry, my dad is also an expert chartered accountant too I imagine so I got another fight on my hands knocking him off his high horse yet again.

My dad actually has a masters in business and has a good job so one would think he knows better but ego overrides all common sense it seems.

God help me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm

Does your dad have any major mental health problems :?: It sounds to me like he might not be in a good mental state to make legal decisions. If he does have a serious condition that affects his mental health, you might could get guardianship of him. He won't be able to make those legal decisions for himself & you might be able to get the deed contracts declared null & void due to him not being in the rite mental state at the time he made them. That stuff could be a lot different in the UK than here in the US thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 12:30 pm

nick007 wrote:
Does your dad have any major mental health problems :?: It sounds to me like he might not be in a good mental state to make legal decisions. If he does have a serious condition that affects his mental health, you might could get guardianship of him. He won't be able to make those legal decisions for himself & you might be able to get the deed contracts declared null & void due to him not being in the rite mental state at the time he made them. That stuff could be a lot different in the UK than here in the US thou.

It's very tricky I think. For the last few years I've thought my dad is autistic himself. He seems to have a strange social ineptitude but this ineptitude isn't matched in other areas of his life which have actually been quite successful. Even his social life is pretty good but he can obsess over "things" rather than people which often dominate his convo.

His problem is basic law and being overly trusting. Due to being a landlord for a fair while I've learned to be paranoid about title deeds and how black and white they are. It doesn't matter if the deeds are for Taylor Swifts new London mega mansion or a tiny plot of land in down town Swindon, the process is exactly the same and is legally binding. Dumping money into a house with no name on the deeds is an absolute no no that's so basic it doesn't even enter my mind.

For him it somehow has. It's such a basic oversight that I'm tempted to put him on the deeds myself regardless of legal pitfalls. I would rather just do the paperwork myself and accept any mistake than let a bent lawyer do the paperwork.