Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2020, 11:53 am

Don't clean your ears with Q-tips. Never stick anything in your ears except your finger. I know someone who got a piece of a Q-tip stuck in her ear. She was having problems with hearing out of that ear and eventually with balance. She went to the ear doctor and he found a piece of a Q-tip in her ear. It hurt her when he removed it as he said it would hurt. It was on her eardrum. Never put Q-tips in your ears. Don't do it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 12:13 pm

^^^good PSA :star:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 12:15 pm

I think it’s fine to clean the outer part of your ears with q-tips, but yes, make sure you do not stick anything into the ear canal, even your finger (or at least be very, very careful not to go too far if you do need to clean in the ear canal, and do use a finger over a q-tip). It’s too easy to accidentally do some damage in there even if nothing gets stuck, is what I was told. My pediatrician when I was a kid said not to stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. What I do for my ears is wrap my finger in part of a towel or washcloth before trying to put it in my ear (since when they need attention is usually right after a shower or swimming, so a towel should be fairly convenient), then the finger/towel combination is big, soft, and doesn’t have anything that might break off and get stuck.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 12:18 pm

if you have excess itchy ear wax, that is a sign of an allergy to something in your diet or environment. i've read it also is a sign of high cholesterol which is itself a sign of an allergy to something in diet or environment. the body is attempting to patch up holes in arteries with the stuff, and the ear is trying to expel something noxious in the canal.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 12:29 pm

Mostly my ears just feel itchy and uncomfortable after getting wet, I’m guessing it’s the feeling of wet earwax that bothers me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 1:24 pm

i'm glad i have skinny little fingers, all the better to use with a tough bit of damp kleenex to swab the excess itchy out the ear holes. since giving up gluten and gliadin [for the most part] i have a bit less itchy oozy earwax to deal with.