Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 3:29 pm

Somebody said too me once that "just because someone feels sorry for you doesnt always mean they like you"

Do you think thats true?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 3:59 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Somebody said too me once that "just because someone feels sorry for you doesn't always mean they like you". Do you think that's true?
Yes. It's called "pity". There is no compassion, no thought of giving support, and no desire to involve one's self in the other person's recovery.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 4:17 pm

You can feel sorry for someone and not like them, that's true. But you also might, how would he know?

Jamesy, it's not a bad thing to reflect on the past, but you're too young to live in the past.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 9:17 am

You could very well like someone, but also feel sorry for them as well. You might feel a protective instinct for someone, but not see them as an equal or as more than a friend in need of help. I have been treated as an inferior by these types of "friends," even people with less education than I had and who couldn't be bothered to read or study anything.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 6:23 pm

There's an old man in my neighbouhood and he sits outside the Lotto store every time he has money to waste on scratch n wins. He hates me immensely because I like to wear my holographic German helmet on Fridays. He complains about how stupid my helmet is to anybody who will listen and tries to turn them against me. I feel sorry for him and I hate him with every fiber of my being.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 03 Aug 2019, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Somebody said too me once that "just because someone feels sorry for you doesnt always mean they like you"

Do you think thats true?

Yes. I do feel sorry for people out there who are their own worst enemy. I feel sorry for them because they cannot see their own actions and see why people are so upset with them and they never figure out why they keep getting kicked from groups or why people keep getting hostile with them and why they keep running into trolls. People can become trollish when provoked or attacked. But then the attacker sees themselves as a victim because in their mind they did nothing wrong and they attackee attacked them first. These people never change because they lack self awareness and never figure out "I must be the problem if I keep being targeted."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 7:05 pm

Of course it's possible. Even if you don't like someone you can feel sorry for them. And get annoyed by it.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 8:50 am

Jamesy wrote:

Do you think thats true?

Absolutely.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Aug 2019, 2:01 pm

I've felt sorry for people I never knew anything about except for the bad situation they were in. You can also dislike or even hate somebody for whatever reason but still don't want something majorly bad to happen to them. For example you can live in an apartment & have neighbors who are real a$$holes. You may hate having them next door to you but still feel bad if they were to suddenly become homeless due to the problems they were causing for you & other tenants. Jamesy What was the context where your friend said that to you :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm

Whenever I say I feel sorry or bad for other people because something unfortunate happened to them, I wonder deep down if that's actually true and I'm only saying it so people won't think I'm a monster. Even if it's someone I don't actually dislike.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2019, 1:20 pm

Sorry as a word has too many meanings and I don't really spend time thinking about it.
For me, I only say "sorry" if I wish I could go back in time and do something differently.
I avoid all other uses of the word.
"Pity" does sound like the word I would use in this situation but I also don't really spend time on that one either since having pity just seems arrogant to me if not paired with some level of personal action.