Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:42 am

I think homework is bad. You go to school to do the work not to take work home with you to do.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

NewTime wrote:
I think homework is bad. You go to school to do the work not to take work home with you to do.

It prepares you for employment, where you are on call 24/7. It teaches one responsibility in that you have to learn how to get things done on your own. There should not be too much homework as kids need time to be kids to learn who they are.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 3:24 pm

All work should be done inside the school. The only time work should be done at home is if the kid is being homeschooled. Also if the kid needs help with some of their schoolwork they can take it home with them and let their parents help them with it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:19 am

I agree, NewTime. And particularly beyond elementary school, when school days are long and demanding, and home work assignments are more time consuming. There is too little sparetime as it.

I would come home from high school somewhere between 4 and 6 p-m. and would be pretty worn out (increasingly so as the school year went on and I never sufficiently recovered before it was time for more school). By the time dinner was made and eaten, I didn't have much time before going to bed. There was homework I never had the chance to do because there wasn't time, and some I couldn't because I didn't understand them, that was maths, chem and phys.

So not only do I think there shouldn't be homework, I don't think school days should be that long either. Some adults think school is just about sitting on one's butt. They completely disregard how much energy it takes to try to learn it all and make the info stick. Information overload is a big one to me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Dec 2017, 5:07 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I agree, NewTime. And particularly beyond elementary school, when school days are long and demanding, and home work assignments are more time consuming. There is too little sparetime as it.

I would come home from high school somewhere between 4 and 6 p-m. and would be pretty worn out (increasingly so as the school year went on and I never sufficiently recovered before it was time for more school). By the time dinner was made and eaten, I didn't have much time before going to bed. There was homework I never had the chance to do because there wasn't time, and some I couldn't because I didn't understand them, that was maths, chem and phys.

So not only do I think there shouldn't be homework, I don't think school days should be that long either. Some adults think school is just about sitting on one's butt. They completely disregard how much energy it takes to try to learn it all and make the info stick. Information overload is a big one to me.
i have those problems too but I have learning disabilities that made me extremely slow when doing homework & school work. There were times I would work my butt off from shortly after I got home & had a snack till it was time for bed except when eating supper & showering & I still couldn't get it all done. It was worse when I was in elementary till the middle of 6th grade(I switched to a skewl for dyslexia then).

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm

No, it’s not bad. You need to learn the motivation and work ethic to do work independently. It’s not helpful to stay at school all day.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:08 pm

I think homework is tedious and time consuming. Kids just want to play when they get home from school. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get home and watch TV and play with my siblings. Homework interferes with kids getting a chance to play outside especially in the fall and winter when the sun sets earlier in the day. There are many kids that are in lots of after school activities or are in after school care. Those kids don't really get to have any play time when they get home at night. Those kids often don't finish their homework or they BS their way through it. How can homework benefit a kid if they never have time or energy to do it? Parents don't need to have their kids in endless extra curricular activities either. Trust me, the kids don't want to be in all those activities. I've heard plenty of kids complain about their parents making them do activities they didn't want to do. Kids are exhausted at the end of the school day and don't need a bunch of extra crap added to their days.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 5:18 pm

I haven't had to think about homework in years, and i have a job that I leave "there." I just don't think homework is very useful, unless it's just flat out reading (or writing a research paper/essay or putting together an exhibit.). Project homework is useful. A bunch of check the answer exercises or fill in the blank exercises are better done in class, where the teacher can assess and correct and go over the information again in a different way if enough students miss the same answers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

I read somewhere that kids spend more time at school than they do any other activity, including sleeping. So what's the point of making them do more of it from the moment they get home until bedtime? It's killing their childhood, causing all kinds of unnecessary stress and anxiety, and it's not making them any smarter imo, but teachers and parents think any amount of freedom will turn them into unemployed bums or serial killers when they grow up. Here's a news flash: people grow up to be unemployed bums or serial killers anyway. :twisted:

Of course, the general belief in the US that anyone who isn't almost constantly studying or working is a lazy, worthless slacker and if they had problems in school or can't get a job it's their own fault. It doesn't occur to them that people ma not be able to get a job because there ARE no jobs, or that they have disabilities or illnesses that make being in a typical learning environment more difficult. And if you tell them this, they basically think that such people should be killed because they're a waste of resources and they're miserable anyway. I hate this world. :evil:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 3:25 am

A lot of schools work kids too long and too hard.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jan 2018, 4:04 am

Actually, school homework made me learn a variety of techniques to slack off and avoid my duties. It was boring and time consuming, I just learned when to expect the teacher to check me, how much undone homework can be tolerated or even to improvise something when asked. The amount of homework I have avoided is enormous.

It is sort of ironic that I ended up in science. Or maybe it is not – avoiding boring homework helped me to preserve my enthusiasm towards knowledge.

I'm more into German culture of work, you are efficient at school/workplace but once out of it, you enjoy your own life. More healthy and fair, IMO.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

I think homework is good, but it does have it's downsides.

For the negative side, as many have stated, there is the time kids have to use on it. No one dies from having to study half an hour at home, but if the homework of one day takes hours... that's too much, at least for middle schooler. I can understand that for a high school student, but little kids should have proper time for exercise, eating in peace, spending time with their families, free time and getting enough sleep. Sometimes some of these things need to be sacrificed if a kid wants to complete all their homework properly, like I did as a kid. Math especially was something that took a lot of time from me, even when I had my mom helping me.
There's also the chance that a kid can't do the homework at all if he or she hasn't understood the things when they were taught at class and at home the kid might not have anyone to ask from. The parents might be too busy or maybe they don't understand either, so in a way it puts these kids in different, unadvantaged position compared to those who have parents that have time to help their children and actually understand the stuff.
Also, too much homework can make a kid a bit bitter towards school (might be the reason many kids hate school) since it takes up so much of their free time. Maybe the school haters would like school more if the school stuff was left at school and homelife was for other things and they wouldn't need to study there unless they wanted to?

On the positive side though... well, if there was no homework then the school days would have to be even longer so that there would be more time to do the work that is usually done at home, right? Some kids probably prefer working at home part of the time instead of having to do everything at school while following the school rules.
Homework also means that the kids have to take books and such home. This is good because it teaches kids to take responsibility, teaches them to take care of their stuff and bring it back to school at right times (this was something I was really good at as a kid, top of my class. :D )
Working on the homework together with the kid also gives parents a better idea of what their child is learning and what the child struggles with. Plus it's a way for a parent and a kid to spend some time together while doing something useful.
It also teaches independence and creativity; when you have a problem at school, you raise your hand and wait for the teacher. Yet at home you can't do that, so you might actually work on a problem longer than you would at class since you could just ask a teacher there if you didn't get it in a time that you consider fast enough.
Also, kids have to learn that life isn't just about having fun. Adults don't just to get do things they want when they leave work and get home. No, they have house chores and such that need to be done no matter if they like it or not. Homework prepares kids for the fact that life isn't always easy.

All that said, too much is always too much. Homework is good, but too much of it can do harm, especially for little kids. Ten year olds need time to play and spend it with their family, they can't just sit with their nose in the text book all day. There are things you can't learn from books after all.