Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 7:13 am

It interesting to me that people have different 'productive' times during a 24 hour period.

My husband is up at 4:30 am, by 7 pm he can barely keep his eyes open. The best time to get him to accomplish something is about 10 am.

I come alive after sunset. I will flop around, all day. And I can really do good work between Midnight and 4 am. It's also when everyone else is asleep, so I get to avoid everyone too. Which is a plus.

I've heard that it has something to do with the time we were born ( I was born at 2:55 am, on a Sunday ). Newborns have a "wakeful" period for about an hour after birth. They will look all around the room.

I also get a more restful sleep during the day and I will sleep longer. If I haven't had a nap by 3 pm, I get very sleepy.

What does anyone else think about this subject? Any ideas on why folks keep such differing hours? I am certain there's an article on it. But, I'm more interested in personal experiences.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 7:27 am

It sounds like you're the same as me. Professionally, it's known as Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (link); it's not technically a form of insomnia, as we can sleep perfectly well if we're able to keep to our own routine, but everything about our sleep cycle is delayed by a few hours - like being in a different time zone to everyone around us. I've no idea what time I was born, but I do know that I've been this way since infancy, and it seems to run in my family. It's something that a lot of autistic people seem to complain of, and there does seem to be some evidence that sleep disorders of various kinds are more common for us (though whether or not it is a "disorder" rather depends on whether we have to get up in the morning for anything - when I don't have to, I have no problem with my sleeping at all).

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 12:45 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
It sounds like you're the same as me. Professionally, it's known as Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (link); it's not technically a form of insomnia, as we can sleep perfectly well if we're able to keep to our own routine, but everything about our sleep cycle is delayed by a few hours - like being in a different time zone to everyone around us. I've no idea what time I was born, but I do know that I've been this way since infancy, and it seems to run in my family. It's something that a lot of autistic people seem to complain of, and there does seem to be some evidence that sleep disorders of various kinds are more common for us (though whether or not it is a "disorder" rather depends on whether we have to get up in the morning for anything - when I don't have to, I have no problem with my sleeping at all).

Yep! That sounds familiar. Gonna have to read up on Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder...

Thanks

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:18 am

I'm at my best first thing in the morning.