Would it be self-defence if I cracked a bailiff's skull?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Oct 2019, 12:18 am

My situation is becoming so ridiculous it's almost a circus, one of them wants me to pay for the time I wasn't even using anything, the other threatens violence despite their own f*****g website not even allowing me to pay because apparently I live in some obscure area it seems to them. There is no f*****g way I'm letting them destroy my life when they can't even f*****g have a functional site!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Self-defence is a legal doctrine which holds that one may use reasonable force in the defence of one's self or another.

Opinions differ as to what constitutes "reasonable force" but, in all cases, the defendant does not have the right to determine this because they would always maintain that they had acted reasonably and thus would never be guilty. The jury, as ordinary members of the community, must decide the amount of force reasonable in the circumstances of the case. It is relevant that the defendant was under pressure from imminent attack and may not have had time to make entirely rational decisions, so the test must balance the objective standard of a reasonable person by attributing some of the subjective knowledge of the defendant, including what he had believed about the circumstances, even if they were mistaken. However, even allowing for mistakes made in a crisis, the amount of force must be proportionate and reasonable given the value of the interests being protected and the harm likely to be caused by use of force.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard