Headphones for running? Anything you'd recommend and why?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:53 am

Need a new pair again.
Ideally less than $100. (my last two pair were about $40 each)
Something that won't fall out! So many different designs.. but do any of them actually work??
Comfort counts, but they've got to stay put! I'm a pretty big buy at 6'2 ~200 so when I go for a 7-10km run there's a lot of impact force going on and I've rattled earphones right out of my ears many times.
Would be good if they can get a little wet since sometimes it rains when I'm out.
Don't think I want the kind that allow all ambient noise in.
I like to be able to crank it loud/bass, was a bit disappointed in the quieter volume of the Yurbuds I had last.
In ear snug fitting stuff is fine/preferred.
Wired! I use an FM radio mp3 player, no wireless/bluetooth.
Not opposed to behind/over the ear clips/wire wraparounds.
Might even try a behind the neck one, but I'm more wary of that maybe not feeling comfortable.
No particular sensory issues I can think of.

I mostly listen to upbeat pop/top40 radio stations while out for a run, and once in a while an mp3 track made for running that could have rock in it, a bit of rap, or edm/dubstep etc. The 2nd last pair I had definitely were louder and had better bass.. that was good.. but they fell out my ears a lot so nah wouldn't get the same ones again.

Soooo many different options on amazon/local store websites. So many different recommendations on top 10 lists etc. Open to all suggestions. Miiiight end up picking 2 or 3 of the top recos/best reviewed etc and ordering up a few different ones just to see which ones I like best - but that's the whole point of doing a bit of research.. trying to figure out the best pair to try first & then IF they're not great, maybe have a 2nd/3d choice already selected.

Annnyways, what would you recommend?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:34 am

Cheap buds, a headband and electrical tape.
Good enough for rugby players. :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2018, 7:49 am

You could get the older type of headphones that go completely over the ears. They would block out more noise, stay on better & a good pair would have better quality. The pair I have is going for a $150 rite now off Amazon but I paid about a $125 for em in 2014. I'll post a pic of the kind I got just so you'd get an idea of the kind I'm talking about :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:05 pm

I don't wear headbands.

I can't imagine large style headphones like those pictured above staying in place during a run.. they'd fly off and smash for sure.

I've had several recommendations on facebook.. but like review sites or amazon reviews, everyone has something different to say so it doesn't narrow things down too much.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:18 pm

Yes. I would recommend not wearing headphones when you run. Doing so sends a great "this one isn't paying attention to his surroundings" signal to muggers everywhere. Also, you won't hear cars behind you, especially electric ones; you won't hear people trying to warn you (about, say, a flying softball); you won't hear snarling dogs; etc.

Yeah, I'm an old poot who doesn't want you to have any fun. I'd really, really like for you to continue not having fun for many more years of a long, uneventful life without major injuries, accidents, rabies shots, or robberies in it.

Sorry - don't mean to be harsh - do mean to be heard. Even if you brush it aside in the moment. Think about it, please.

Edit in: Yeah, I'm a buzzkill. Better than a literal kill. https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/h ... -oneearout. This article links to details of 14 deaths and maimings in the first five months of 2017: common denominator? Headphones or earbuds, pedestrian/runner, trains.

They couldn't hear oncoming TRAINS.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 13 Feb 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:19 pm

you could get some water resistant ones that have the part that goes behind your ear, to help keep them falling out, something kind of like this.

I am sure you could find some under $100, just look for water resistant sport headphones on ebay or places like wal-mart and target may have them...I'd advise Target before Walmart though, because I've had pretty bad luck with getting electronics/electronic related things at walmart.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:20 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Cheap buds, a headband and electrical tape.
Good enough for rugby players. :wink:

Cheap buds don't sound very good though, and certainly don't keep out ambient noise.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:47 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Yes. I would recommend not wearing headphones when you run. Doing so sends a great "this one isn't paying attention to his surroundings" signal to muggers everywhere. Also, you won't hear cars behind you, especially electric ones; you won't hear people trying to warn you (about, say, a flying softball); you won't hear snarling dogs; etc.

Yeah, I'm an old poot who doesn't want you to have any fun. I'd really, really like for you to continue not having fun for many more years of a long, uneventful life without major injuries, accidents, rabies shots, or robberies in it.

Sorry - don't mean to be harsh - do mean to be heard. Even if you brush it aside in the moment. Think about it, please.

Edit in: Yeah, I'm a buzzkill. Better than a literal kill. https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/h ... -oneearout. This article links to details of 14 deaths and maimings in the first five months of 2017: common denominator? Headphones or earbuds, pedestrian/runner, trains.

They couldn't hear oncoming TRAINS.

In a word.. No. :lol:

I've gone on like ONE run in the few years I've been running w/o music and it SUCKED. It's very difficult to keep going at much more than a slow jog's pace. MUSIC makes all the difference, especially fairly loud fast paced music - gets ya PUMPED to MOVE.

The only car that almost hit me once was actually my sisterinlaw lol who wasn't paying close attention as she was about to make a right hand turn - but I was watching.

I find that when I can hear too much ambient noise it distracts from the music's ability to really make me focus on my run. I also find that my other senses are more heightened and I definitely exaggerate my shoulder checks & looking both ways and all that. I usually end up running in the evening before/during sunset, or after dark. Fewer cars on the road, and there are street lights everywhere.

Also, I'm 6'2 ~200 lbs ~14%? bf.. I'm not the guy getting mugged (nor am I carrying a wallet in my running shorts lol) I'm the guy that people get out of the way of as I run my 7-10km around the neighbourhood. :lol: I followed some kid once that I thought might be breaking into cars and he was legit scared I was chasing him.. told him I was just out for a run, it ended up being his car near his house etc. ha. There are very few muggings right here where I am.. but there have been shots fired several times over the last couple years - even though it'd still be comparable to the probability of being struck by lightning, there's a higher chance I'd be hit by a stray bullet than mugged for my headphones & running shoes.

There are several headphones designed to allow outside noise in that some runners really like for safety, but I find it annoying. I don't want it to sound like I'm sitting in a room w/ a speaker on and can still hear everything else - I want to hear the music. I can still hear car horns etc, though, as I don't crank it deafeningly loud. Just enough to drown out the background noise & keep me focused. There are also bone conducting "headphones," that sit on the cheek bones to vibrate sound through your head as a different design that allows you to hear all outside noise.. but nah, I'll continue with some sort of traditional earbud and drown out the regular traffic noise.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:52 pm

Sweetleaf - Yeah, I might try something like that sometime.. so many different options for over ear clips/wires, in ear wings/clips etc etc to stay in place. Still not sure which I might buy next.

I had several recommendations on Facebook from runner friends and someone suggested the iphone ones.. I took a look in a drawer and it turns out I have a brand new pair I've never used since I never put music on my phones or any devices, so, I'll give them a shot and if they stay put just fine they'll do. If not, well, I'll have to pick something and just try them.. or maybe buy a few dramatically different styled ones and try them all. There are quite a few wildly different designs available on amazon for under $20 that have a ton of positive reviews.. so, as much as I'd like to buy and try ONE good one, I might end up buying a few cheaper ones just trying to find the best fit. Or not ? Maybe I'll pick one and go with it.

I find this is one of the more annoying "too much selection," purchases one could be deciding on.. literally thousands of options and no clear winner. Even top 10 lists on various sites vary wildly. Hmmmm heh.

Then again, maybe these iphone ones I have in a drawer will fit like a glove and sound just fine and I won't have to make any sort of decision until they die.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

I absolutely cannot stand earbuds, so I use these when running errands or walking/exercising:

They are light and fit over the ear and behind the neck (and under my hair) which I prefer to the one's that are more like headbands. And the foam pads mean they breathe when I sweat but also keep my ears warm in cold weather. Also I have a tendency to go through a lot of headphones somehow (I use them a lot and I am clumsy so they get dropped and have their cords tugged frequently) so these are relatively cheap but you still get decent quality sound from them.