Page 3 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Do you have an interest in vintage items?
Yeah, vintage items are really cool and awesome! 74%  74%  [ 25 ]
Eh, they are alright, I guess. 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Nah, they don't interest me at all. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I am not really sure if I have an interest in it. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 8:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
was it "poopylungstuffing"?

Poopy, I miss her =(

No, it was "cav". The link should've taken you directly to their post, but sometimes those links don't work so great. That's just the first post, she continues to reply throughout the thread.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 10:46 am

Ichinin wrote:
I collect, but only vintage computers. For now i only collect Commodore computers with a focus on Amigas.

Later i may move on to other brands, but first i got to take care of the ones i got doing recaps, fitting heatsinks and replacing stuff that need to be fixed (Batteries). I've already fixed my Amiga 4000, added an ID switch on my 1541, done repaints of my Vic 20 (was badly hit with yellowing) and i've worked on a golden C64 (still a work in progress).

The less common stuff i got right now is a Commodore 64 G that i bought from Germany and a Commodore 116 that i picked up from Austria. I'm eyeballing Commodore MAX machines from Japan, but they are rare and few of them work since the whole production run was flawed with bad keyboards, and the RF signal is NTSC with no composite or other video out so it has to be modded before i could connect it to a monitor. Biggest thing is that i limit myself to Euro countries when it comes to some hardware because of the power adapter/voltage differences.

I also started collecting flight simulators and productivity software, the price on regular game collecting is insane and some sellers can be really greedy.

Vintage computer collection is an expensive hobby, but if you keep your eyes open and exercise some impulse control with your credit card, there are bargains to pick up even on eBay.

Whoa! Can you possibly try to post some pictures of your collection? I would really like to see it! :D

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Whoa! Can you possibly try to post some pictures of your collection? I would really like to see it! :D

Sure:

I also got a Philips 8833 monitor, but it's broken (typical power button wont stay on), so i'm using modern VGA/HDMI monitors with an array of different converters.

There are some other things in there too, like diagnostic cartridges + harness, Koala Painter, Simons Basic etc. Also got the 1351 mouse for the C64 that works fine in GEOS and the Final Cartridge Desktop OS.

I do not have them set up, just one at a time since i try to keep my living room from getting cluttered with computers, i've finally been able to clean up my apartment after leaving a long depression.

EDIT: Also got an Amiga 1200/030 on the floor (not in pic) and some Sampler/Midi things around somewhere.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 1:19 pm

Ichinin wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Sure:

I also got a Philips 8833 monitor, but it's broken (typical power button wont stay on), so i'm using modern VGA/HDMI monitors with an array of different converters.

There are some other things in there too, like diagnostic cartridges + harness, Koala Painter, Simons Basic etc. Also got the 1351 mouse for the C64 that works fine in GEOS and the Final Cartridge Desktop OS.

I do not have them set up, just one at a time since i try to keep my living room from getting cluttered with computers, i've finally been able to clean up my apartment after leaving a long depression.

EDIT: Also got an Amiga 1200/030 on the floor (not in pic) and some Sampler/Midi things around somewhere.

That looks totally awesome! :D I hope you keep them safe!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

The only vintage electronics I have is an Allied receiver and the two speakers that came with it.Works great.I beleive it's an old Radio Shak brand.
The oldest items in my collections are arrowheads,some family photos that are tin type,old trade pipes,civil war cannon ball,some very old bottles,coins,Box camera,a pre-civil war violin made in Mittewald Germany,and stamps.Of course the rock collection is oldest of all. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 2:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
was it "poopylungstuffing"?

Poopy, I miss her =( No, it was "cav". The link should've taken you directly to their post, but sometimes those links don't work so great. That's just the first post, she continues to reply throughout the thread.

ah so, thank you :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The only vintage electronics I have is an Allied receiver and the two speakers that came with it.Works great.I beleive it's an old Radio Shak brand.
The oldest items in my collections are arrowheads,some family photos that are tin type,old trade pipes,civil war cannon ball,some very old bottles,coins,Box camera,a pre-civil war violin made in Mittewald Germany,and stamps.Of course the rock collection is oldest of all. :lol:

do you play the violin? :dj:

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2018, 3:00 pm

I like looking in antique/collectible emporiums just to see what kind of cool things they have. I find retro toys, 20th century technology, and vinyl music records particularly interesting to look at.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

Sometimes I like looking at vintage items on Ebay and stuff, but not actually buying anything. Mostly it's old toys and dolls, or stuff from when I was a kid (OMG, am I really that old now that toys that were popular when I was a kid are now called "vintage?"), but recently I've been looking at antique quack medicines that claimed to cure just about everything. They also had quack medicine for livestock. One of them claimed it would make your hens lay eggs even in winter, and apparently molting is a very exhausting and painful process for chickens so it would help that, too. Later when the FDA came out, however, they had to stop using the word "cure". For example they had to change the words "cough cure" to "cough syrup" instead.

They sure came in some neat-looking glass bottles and stuff, though. I'm thinking of buying fancy little bottles at the store and filling them with juice or even mouthwash so they look like potions from Harry Potter or a video game. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

now and then i'll find an unusual specimen of LP recording, of an artist who is little known, playing a distinctive arrangement of stuff I find enchanting, and which is guaranteed to never make it into the digital music world other than my attempts at digitizing and restoring it myself.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I fiddle with it. :D
I play the flute,but don't practice like I should.Gotten really lazy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I fiddle with it. :D I play the flute,but don't practice like I should.Gotten really lazy.

ta dum dum :mrgreen: that is better than me. my sis played the violin when she was little. she gave it to her daughter. i'm trying to learn how to play a bass flute that I got off auction a while back. I heard paul horn play it on a record and decided I hadda try it meself. it is TOUGH to get a consistent embouchure on those things! :o got any tips in that regard?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

/\Practice an hour a day.It will be painful.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:

when you first started out on flute back in the day, how long did it take you to get your embouchure right? how long is the average student's?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

when you first started out on flute back in the day, how long did it take you to get your embouchure right? how long is the average student's?

Maybe a month?I was 12 so it's been awhile.You can practice blowing into a glass Coke bottle,you'll know when you get it right.You can add water to to bottle to change the notes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Maybe a month?I was 12 so it's been awhile.You can practice blowing into a glass Coke bottle,you'll know when you get it right.You can add water to to bottle to change the notes.

thank you. I've long practiced blowing across the tops of bottles including a fave old magnum wine bottle. I can get a mediocre tone most first tries on the flute but it is with just a few notes and the first octave high b flats half the time. also lots of cracked notes. I had no idea it took so long for the typical student to get on to it. been decades since I was in junior high school band, my memory of what the flute students did has faded.