Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:29 pm

Do people here think I qualify for section 8?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 11:10 pm

"Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often called Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of low-income households in the United States.  68% of total rental assistance in the United States goes to seniors, children, and those with disabilities.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development manages Section 8 programs."

Source:  This Wikipedia Article 

That said, you would get a more useful opinion from someone in the Federal Housing Administration or other welfare agency.

I hope you qualify.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 12:14 am

You mentioned your family or someone connecting you with a social worker, IIRC. This is something you should ask them if you're unable to navigate the information yourself.

From my very limited knowledge, it's income dependent. So, it depends how much money you make. As Fnord said you could inquire directly with the agency responsible for administering the program. If that's too much of a task, ask your social worker. They may know Or may be able to find out for you.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 2:41 am

Not unless you look like this:

(hoping you get the reference 8) )

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 6:58 am

you can check it out online or get your therapist/social worker to help you find somebody local to advise you.
In most places in the USA, there is a long waiting list to get into government assisted housing.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 7:43 am

Comet Zed wrote:

I love that show.

On a more serious note, I think you can qualify for a Section 8.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 9:05 am

Your main income is disability, so I would have thought that you would qualify for government assisted housing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 9:55 am

Yes, you almost certainly qualify for Section 8. Even if there’s a long waiting list, some people are given priority and are pushed further up the list. Having significant disabilities could help with that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Feb 2024, 11:34 am

I think where you live in the US & knowing how or having the right assistance with navigating the system can make a major difference. I was told by a social worker type person that I could not qualify for any kind of housing assistance while living with my parents. I would have to currently be officialoy homless or have more sever disabilities that would qualify me for a group home situation. I was unemployed & on SSI at the time. That was over 15 years ago in Louisiana & my area was kinda ruralish. I guess it's possible I was getting the runaround because the person did not really want to help or did not really know & thought the programs were too underfunded & overburdened for my need to warrant it.

However my girlfriend had no problem getting Section 8 in Vermont about 15 years ago. Like me she was on SSI & living with her parents at the time. She had to live in a subsidized public housing type appartment a year before she qualified for Section 8 but she qualified for that only a few months after applying. Where Cass lived was more urban than me & Vermont is a lot nicer towards disabled people & others majorly struggling in life. Lots of her close family members are disabled & received some kind of housing assistance fairly easily in this sate except one but that's due to his criminal history.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 12:53 pm

When I lived in New York my tenant had Section 8. She was not disabled and she had a job, but her income was still low enough to qualify. I think you would almost certainly qualify. The issue is finding someone, like a social worker, to help you apply, and then there is a waiting period, which could be quite long but might be shortened due to your disabilities.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 7:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Comet Zed wrote:

I love that show.

On a more serious note, I think you can qualify for a Section 8.

:jester:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2024, 1:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
You mentioned your family or someone connecting you with a social worker, IIRC. This is something you should ask them if you're unable to navigate the information yourself.

From my very limited knowledge, it's income dependent. So, it depends how much money you make. As Fnord said you could inquire directly with the agency responsible for administering the program. If that's too much of a task, ask your social worker. They may know Or may be able to find out for you.

I don’t have a social worker, I don’t know how to get one.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2024, 2:02 am

I have no idea what the name of the government office is near you to phone and request a social worker is.

However:

Do you have any medical issues to go to a hospital for?

Sometimes homeless/addicts/disabled people will find a reason to get admitted to a hospital when they need to be connected with housing asap. Not because they intend on staying long term at the hospital, but because the hospital has social workers on call 24/7 and can assign one to your case who may be able to help immediately & then pass your case along to a community social worker.

Also, homeless shelters tend to reserve a few beds for people being referred by hospitals. They might have connections to get people into more permanent housing sooner, too, I dunno.

But if you have any reason to go to a go a hospital for a medical issue then you might be connected with a social worker faster than phoning somewhere and trying to make an appointment. Hospital = emergency = they deal with things Now vs make an appointment weeks away.

Just a thought. Other than that you really need to have someone in your life make phone calls and find a worker. Your sister or your dad or someone.