Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 8:00 pm

The closest I've been to being on a train is a zoo train.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm

I was on a narrow gauge railroad that went through the rocky mountains from Colorado to New Mexico. It was a steam engine driven train and the views were amazing.

I was also on a modern Amtrak train once. That was a miserable experience. I was on that train for 13 hours.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 12:32 am

I've been on a train, twice. One time when I went to Evan's Lake with my Grade 7 class and another time on a day trip to Shannon Falls with a group of people from my clubhouse, back in the summer of 2000.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 12:45 am

Once, twice if the fact that I had to change trains counts.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2018, 2:06 am

I've been on loads, as my family is spread out over a distance of 1200 km, and train is the cheapest way to get around. I quite like it, as long as other passengers aren't bothering. Unfortunately, public transportation-etiquette seems to be declining fast. These days those train rides are full of people yelling in their phones the whole trip.

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2018, 4:16 am

The only time I ever took trains was when I was on exchange in Germany in 2006. I took a whole lot of trains lol. Went all over the country on them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:32 am

Yep. I love riding on trains.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:34 am

I've been on many trains, actually right now I'm on one.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:59 am

Only trice so far.
First time was going to an airport for the first time, to ride an airplane for the first time, so I'd get to visit my mom's birthplace for the first time, and then to meet most of my relatives from her side for the first time. :lol:
Last two times involves traveling for my assessment between cities within the capital region, and that was 8+ years ago. :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 5:19 am

I'm surprised to see that there are so many who have never or just barely been on a train :o

I've traveled by train so may times I have no idea whatsoever how many. Especially in the place where I lived when I was little, we always took the train into town. The last train I was on, was the airport express train.

Train, boat and plane travels tend to be rather pleasant, unless too crowded. Buses and subways are almost always too crowded.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:20 am

Yes,Amtrack Zephyr.Everyone should do it,the best way to see the West.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:57 am

Only once when we went on a field trip at school, and that was years ago when I was a kid and we still actually had a passenger train system in Cape Breton. They closed it down not long afterwards. :(

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 11:20 am

After I was laid off from my job during the Great Recession, the next job I got was in DC and I commuted there by rail. It was arguably the best thing about that job — lasted over a year.

When I was in my late 20's - early 30's I took a couple of cross-country rail trips in the US, which was pretty amazing and I would recommend it to anybody who can. The day may come when it's no longer possible. Probably way more expensive today than it was then. I probably wouldn't do it today because a couple of nights sleeping in an Amtrak coach is probably more than I could easily handle at my age.

I've also traveled by rail a lot by rail in Europe but oddly enough it's less interesting than in the US.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm

Yes, my mom and I have taken train trips a few times. When I was 13, we took a train to Quebec and then flew the rest of the way to Prince Edward Island to visit my grandparents. Then we've been to Toronto by train a couple times, once for a concert and once for an appointment. And last spring, we took the train all the way to PEI. That's the longest train trip I've ever been on. It was quite an interesting experience.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

My sis and I caught the tail end of the Pullman era of American train travel in the mid Sixties. We live on the east coast but have family in prairie and Rocky mountain parts of the west. So sometimes the family would drive, sometimes fly, and sometimes take trains. Trains were the most fun. When the Pullman company existed it would make the passenger trains into luxury hotels on wheels.

Didn't ride a train (except for subway trains) for a long time after the mid sixties. Then took the Amtrack train up the east coast in the late 89's or early '90's. NOW I understand why folks complain about trains. They don't remember the Pullman trains of old. They only know modern Amtrak trains. Basically a prison on wheels. Lol!

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 12:37 pm

America is weird. Or at least, the WP population is. Most days of the week I'm on a train, sometimes 4 times in one day. I've travelled over the country and through Europe on a train. I've almost certainly got more train-miles than car-miles.