Page 5 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 163  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

Did not expect the snow so was surprised this morning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:47 pm

How much did you folks in the UK get?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

Not much but we freak out and society shuts down. Here in Liverpool it was less than 1 inch and mostly melted by now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 2:27 pm

Usually, in NYC, we start to sort of freak when there's about 15 cm of snow on the ground. That's when the snow becomes "shovel-able."

The minimum in the London area is supposed to be minus 9 Celsius. That's pretty cold, even by NYC standards. This is cold you folks are not used to. We're more used to it.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 3:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, in NYC, we start to sort of freak when there's about 15 cm of snow on the ground. That's when the snow becomes "shovel-able."

The minimum in the London area is supposed to be minus 9 Celsius. That's pretty cold, even by NYC standards. This is cold you folks are not used to. We're more used to it.

It happens every year, but every year it manages to take us completely by surprise. Snow? What? How did this happen? You'd have thought 10,000 years would have been enough time to get used to it.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 3:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

London is in the south.

Unless your homeless it's not really the cold that's the problem, or the heat, it's the combination of weather and the way it keeps changing. Yesterday and today have both been nice for me to go out in because (1) I was correctly dressed because it was obviously cold and didn't change while I was out and (2) There was very little wind, this is Lincolnshire, where brollies come to die. It has snowed several times over the past two days here, and it's settled but there have been times when a lot of it has melted so it's not been building up other very much but everything keeps getting covered in the lovely fresh snow :D Also I've been off work sitting in my windowsill over the radiator writing all day, watching the snow. When I have to go back to work on Thursday I will be grumpy.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 4:15 pm

We had alternating sunshine and snow showers so it didn't really settle for long.

It looked more like polystyrene than snow. Artificial.

We have it coming on Thursday apparently in a larger quantity.

I have my snow boots on call - just in case it gets over an inch.

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 10:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The minimum in the London area is supposed to be minus 9 Celsius.
I thought you must be mistaken when I first read this but I looked at my weather app and it's -7!! I've never been in -7 before (afaik) so I stuck my hand out the window but it just felt like regular snowy cold tbh. Image Don't know what I was expecting.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 6:29 am

We are due quite a downpour of snow tonight and tomorrow.
The south west is due to be given a good dusting for a change.

I have plenty of provisions so don't mind really - I am always ready for a blip.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 7:14 am

The coldest I ever experienced was Minus-19 Celsius.

Yes, Temeraire, go to Sainsbury’s before the snow!

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 8:22 am

I have everything I need until my next online grocery shop.
Apart from fresh milk - I may pop out later for this if I can be bothered.

I have snow boots so will be able to get some milk after the snow has landed.
It will be a little bit more difficult to walk but I can do it.
We have a dairy around the corner which supplies a local shop so we are never without milk.
Even if the lorries cannot get to the other shops here.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 8:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The coldest I ever experienced was Minus-19 Celsius.

Yes, Temeraire, go to Sainsbury’s before the snow!

Image :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:46 am

Bloody Hell! I'm waiting for car parts to be delivered but it looks like they might get delayed due to the UK shutting down to a little bit of iced water :evil:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

In England life packs up during snow. The schools close. Some bus companies don't run. Even taxi services get cancelled. That was what happened today. I think it was only 4 inches of snow where I am. The UK may not get as much snow as Siberia, but it is not a stranger to snow, as we usually get a few inches of snow nearly every winter, maybe a few winters might pass with no snow at all, but we still get enough snow each decade to know how to cope with a few inches. But, no, everybody freaks out. You should have seen the people in Tesco at the week-end, they were all pushing, filling their trollies up, and the queues to the tills were just manic. I despair. I was only in there getting some milk because I had ran out.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

The whole of the UK has been hit with snow today but in Scotland we've also got a first-ever 'Red' warning for people not to venture outdoors at all until the warning is lifted. Although it's definitely extreme weather,there didn't seem to be any attempts by the authorities to grit the roads - much easier just to tell people not to travel.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

Joe90 wrote:
everybody freaks out. You should have seen the people in Tesco at the week-end, they were all pushing, filling their trollies up, and the queues to the tills were just manic. I despair. I was only in there getting some milk because I had ran out.
They're not freaking out over the snow, that's how Tesco shoppers behave every weekend, with the stuff piled up over the top of the trolley falling off all over the place, and they're still throwing more stuff in instead of looking where they're aiming their trolley. And then there's the mobility scooters speed reversing round corners.