Page 86 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 163  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 4:32 am

If I could I would visit Piccadilly Circus, Carnaby Street, Oxford Street, Penny Lane, Manchester locales were post punk started, Wembley Stadium, the Chunnal, The Tube, A proper English pub, and so many more.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 5:39 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
If I ever get to take a vacation (holiday) to the UK where are some interesting places you guys recommend I visit?

I'm thinking Buckingham Palace as an obvious choice and the Tower of London for starters. I want to visit Traitors' Gate. :skull: :skull: :skull:

Unless you love cities, don't spend all your time in London.

Hampton Court
Royal Armory at Leeds
York Minster/Canterbury Cathedral/Lincoln Cathedral (less tourists)
Yorvik Centre
Blenheim Palace
Warwick Castle

I'd skip Buc House. It's not even old.

If you're in York go to Castle Museum. And unless you're the sort of person who despises shopping in all forms, try shopping for souvenirs and sweets (candy) like fudge. These streets have architecture older than America.

Try the coast too. Whitby seems to appeal to Americans who like things like Dracula or just the goth scene in general. Scarborough is bigger and better if you just want to experience an English seaside, or go out of Yorkshire and go to Skegness or Blackpool. And if you have a car and like the Brontes, there's Haworth (this is in Yorkshire right? Google is telling me some obscure county I've never heard of but it was in Yorkshire when I went as a kid).

If you go further north, there's Beamish which is one of the best living history museums in the world.

If you want to go to Scotland, there's Aberdeen with its science museum. It used to have story book glen too but teenagers smashed it up. And there are lots of lovely smaller places in Scotland, I've had nice times in the borders. Edinburgh is nice in general but easier to research and I can't think of anything which won't be heavily covered in guide books (Greyfriars's bobby maybe?) August will be busy because of the festival but the festival is fun itself and many good events are free.

I'd try for the towns, villages or countryside unless you're a city fan and if you are, I'd try for Edinburgh, York, Lincoln type places. London is OK for a day trip or if you're a heavy sleeper but I find the whole up all night, light shining into your window, music blaring atmosphere of the place not very aspie friendly and it isn't 'quaint' enough for an average American tourist hoping for a sense of something older/more 'merry old England'.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 5:45 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
If I ever get to take a vacation (holiday) to the UK where are some interesting places you guys recommend I visit?

I'm thinking Buckingham Palace as an obvious choice and the Tower of London for starters. I want to visit Traitors' Gate. :skull: :skull: :skull:

I am not a fan of London (I am there once a month with work - too busy, too much going on) but I think as a tourist there are some interesting places to see. My family are from Cornwall so I am biased towards that part of the country (slow, quiet, old fashioned) but as someone else said the Scottish highlands are just amazing. I reckon a good trip would be 2 days in London, 1 day Manchester area, a couple of days in Yorkshire and then a few days up in the highlands.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:58 am

That all sounds very interesting! :D

I actually like both the city and the country. I grew up in the country but we've taken trips to big cities like Atlanta and New Orleans and I fell in love with everything about those places so I have no doubt that I would love London too. :D

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:04 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
That all sounds very interesting! :D

I actually like both the city and the country. I grew up in the country but we've taken trips to big cities like Atlanta and New Orleans and I fell in love with everything about those places so I have no doubt that I would love London too. :D

I love London during the day and the evening. I just find it impossible to sleep in.

(Same as Glasgow if I go to a hotel in the city centre)

There are probably lesser known parts of London where this isn't an issue or maybe you're a better sleeper than me.

I like the British library, it has exhibits. I wouldn't recommend Madam Tussauds though - not many waxworks for the amount of queues there are. (Jorvik in York is a long queue too but it's worth it and you're all in a cart so it doesn't feel as crowded inside)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:24 am

I am in London next Thursday for a work meeting. It is on the corner of Pudding Lane (where the great fire of London started in1666) and as a history lover I do really like that I get to walk down that road, pass by the big monument to the fire and then into an office a few doors down. I often spend time in London daydreaming about all the people that have walked on that road before me, all the blood that has been spilt for it to be what it is now, the generations upon generations of people who made their way around the city just as I am really - just getting about, working and trying to earn a living.

I grew up in the countryside and remain there now. I find cities just too busy, too much going on. I do love the history of London though, you can hardly go 5 minutes without there being something significant.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:39 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I am in London next Thursday for a work meeting. It is on the corner of Pudding Lane (where the great fire of London started in1666) and as a history lover I do really like that I get to walk down that road, pass by the big monument to the fire and then into an office a few doors down. I often spend time in London daydreaming about all the people that have walked on that road before me, all the blood that has been spilt for it to be what it is now, the generations upon generations of people who made their way around the city just as I am really - just getting about, working and trying to earn a living.

I grew up in the countryside and remain there now. I find cities just too busy, too much going on. I do love the history of London though, you can hardly go 5 minutes without there being something significant.

I often feel the same way about the city of Atlanta every time I visit. It was burned to the ground during the American Civil War but they were able to rise from their ashes like a phoenix and rebuild and now they are better than ever. Atlanta has an amazing history itself because it played a key role in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement (Martin Luther King Jr. was from Atlanta). There's also lot of fun things to do there.

Of course being an American city it's not as old as London. :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:27 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

I often feel the same way about the city of Atlanta every time I visit. It was burned to the ground during the American Civil War but they were able to rise from their ashes like a phoenix and rebuild and now they are better than ever. Atlanta has an amazing history itself because it played a key role in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement (Martin Luther King Jr. was from Atlanta). There's also lot of fun things to do there.

I do like the American Civil War as a subject, I have read a lot on it before, it really fascinates me.

I am in London the week after next too, in Pimlico. By the sounds of it annoyingly rather than going right there from Paddington Station I have to go to Waterloo first to meet with some others. That does mean though that I can possibly walk from Waterloo across Westminster Bridge, past Big Ben, past the Houses of Parliament* and then past Westminster Abbey. Haven't done that walk in years and years

*if the rampaging mob haven't burned it down after next week

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:44 am

Biscuitman wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

I do like the American Civil War as a subject, I have read a lot on it before, it really fascinates me.

I am in London the week after next too, in Pimlico. By the sounds of it annoyingly rather than going right there from Paddington Station I have to go to Waterloo first to meet with some others. That does mean though that I can possibly walk from Waterloo across Westminster Bridge, past Big Ben, past the Houses of Parliament* and then past Westminster Abbey. Haven't done that walk in years and years

*if the rampaging mob haven't burned it down after next week

The Civil Rights movement is very fascinating too. I actually saw photographs of it in a museum in Florida and there were pictures of protests and people holding signs demanding equal rights for everybody in this country. I fully support equality in every form because we are all human beings. :)

Btw is there a riot going on? :o

There was one I saw on the news here in the US a few years ago. I believed it happened in Chicago and angry people were looting stores and setting buildings and cars on fire.

That's exactly why humanity scares me. :(

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

^I think he meant all the aggro over Brexit, hopefully there won't actually be a riot (most people are too lazy). I could

be wrong though, I don't have a telly maybe there's been one going on for weeks.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 12:37 pm

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 12:55 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
^I think he meant all the aggro over Brexit, hopefully there won't actually be a riot (most people are too lazy). I could

be wrong though, I don't have a telly maybe there's been one going on for weeks.

Yeah I was just joking about Brexit really. The big Commons vote is next Tuesday.

Best save conversation for another thread though!

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2019, 4:14 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
[Unless you love cities, don't spend all your time in London.

Hampton Court
Royal Armory at Leeds
York Minster/Canterbury Cathedral/Lincoln Cathedral (less tourists)
Yorvik Centre
Blenheim Palace
Warwick Castle

I'd skip Buc House. It's not even old.

Good list although technically Hampton Court Place has been part of Greater London since 1965. I visited Warwick Castle a few months ago and it's certainly a very impressive structure. Definitely worth visiting if you're interested in castles and medieval history.

I'd recommend Winchester for a day trip. It was once the ancient capital of England and has a fine old cathedral as well as numerous other historical sites. A very pleasant place to spend some time if you're visiting the UK. The university cities of Oxford and Cambridge are also a must see although they are very touristy. I particularly like Oxford for the superb Ashmolean museum and also the quirky Pitt Rivers museum where you can see things like Samurai uniforms, old weapons and even shrunken heads! It is located in the same building as the Natural History Museum which has the largest collection of dinosaur fossils in the UK outside London.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

TUF wrote:

I love London during the day and the evening. I just find it impossible to sleep in.

There are probably lesser known parts of London where this isn't an issue or maybe you're a better sleeper than me

The next time that you're in London, it might be worth staying somewhere outside the centre of town as it does get less busy and hectic the further from central London you are. There are some very nice districts like Hampstead and Richmond which would be quieter and more relaxing places to stay plus they both have lovely green spaces that you can easily spend hours exploring.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 4:30 pm

I was wondering, does London have good food that is unique to the UK? Stuff that they don't really have here in the US?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:07 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
TUF wrote:

There are probably lesser known parts of London where this isn't an issue or maybe you're a better sleeper than me

The next time that you're in London, it might be worth staying somewhere outside the centre of town as it does get less busy and hectic the further from central London you are. There are some very nice districts like Hampstead and Richmond which would be quieter and more relaxing places to stay plus they both have lovely green spaces that you can easily spend hours exploring.

Thanks :) I can try these and if I can sleep in them, I can have weekends in London/do evening things in London rather than simply day trips :)