Page 138 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 163  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 3:39 am

Yes! :D

I will watch on ITVPlayer. They will put the program on as soon as they stop chatting about the game at the end. It

should be available to watch from about 12.15. I start work at 2.30 on Saturdays; last Sat I had to run to work.

Boss let me start work early on Tues so I could start at 3 today :D just in case they are late putting it on ITVPlayer.

I've watched either the whole game or the highlights of every game in this world cup*, but it's only when it gets to

this level that I have to worry about people telling me the results before I've watched.

*except Fiji v Uruguay.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 5:55 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Yes! :D

I will watch on ITVPlayer. They will put the program on as soon as they stop chatting about the game at the end. It

should be available to watch from about 12.15. I start work at 2.30 on Saturdays; last Sat I had to run to work.

Boss let me start work early on Tues so I could start at 3 today :D just in case they are late putting it on ITVPlayer.

I've watched either the whole game or the highlights of every game in this world cup*, but it's only when it gets to

this level that I have to worry about people telling me the results before I've watched.

*except Fiji v Uruguay.

That was very decent of your boss.

I have to go to Currys shortly for mum.

I may have to catch up later too.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 5:22 pm

Is anyone expecting a letter from the NHS (the 1.5million list) and are they worried?

I think it's all going as well as could be hoped to be honest.

Is anyone else surprised at how well Boris is doing under pressure?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 5:31 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Is anyone else surprised at how well Boris is doing under pressure?

Which bit is he doing well at? The bit where he publicly encouraged herd immunity and told us how he went to a hospital and shook everyone's hands or the bit where he u-turned on herd immunity after ICL provided the Govt with data saying the NHS was due to become overwhelmed if he continued on that path?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:57 am

^Well obviously if you had high expectation to start with you're going to be disappointed.

I meant he hasn't cracked under the pressure.

Once containment became impossible, reliance on some form of herd immunity combined with isolating the weak looks to be the best option as long as it doesn't escalate too fast.

Maybe we are wrong and South Korea got it right, or maybe they'll get a second wave. We don't know how this is going to turn out yet so it's a bit late to hang him from the lampposts.

I didn't see the bit at the hospital, I don't have a telly. When was that.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 11:09 am

(Mainly doing a pointless post here so that the “British Stuff Thread” stays in my your posts feed for the future)

Since I’m here though:
I’m no fan of Boris Alexander de Pfeffel-Johnson,
However, he is starting to appear to do better than I’d expected in a crisis... after a cavalierly tardy start.
I must also acknowledge in spite of my dislike of the man he is struggling to lead by persuasion a population which, whilst many people do like him, it seems very few respect him: and that is a very difficult thing to do even in the best of times.
And, he does deserve some credit for being relatively quick off the mark to change his policy on this issue when faced with evidence that rolled against his original approach.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:26 pm

Hooray, they've nationalized the railways, sort of. Hope they don't hand them straight back to the franchise companies when this is all over. But they probably will.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:43 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Hooray, they've nationalized the railways, sort of. Hope they don't hand them straight back to the franchise companies when this is all over. But they probably will.

Well, we could do with a strategic national overhaul of the rail system: it’s still largely laid out for the needs of heavy industry in the Victorian era.
I suspect that’s a more important factor than the details of ownership long-term.
Although I’d agree it is galling to see key national infrastructure run by private companies under the auspices of opaque contracts with massive state subsidies and endlessly rising fares.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 6:28 am

So...

I’ve just been into town to bank all the cash in the house so we can order supplies online when required.

Fifteen minutes after getting back I received the following text message:

Quote:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Anyone else had one of these?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 7:25 am

Karamazov wrote:
So...

I’ve just been into town to bank all the cash in the house so we can order supplies online when required.

Quote:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

I think everyone is due one today. I have not had one yet

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 7:40 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
So...

Quote:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT

I think everyone is due one today. I have not had one yet

I thought that was most likely the case: assume they’re going through all the phones in number order. :shrug:

It directs you to a very brief outline of restrictions: the work limitation is described as “only essential work”.
My sis reckons this means only key workers as specified in the restrictions on sending kids to school are meant to carry on working: as of yet I’ve not seen any official clarification though.

I’ve decided to suspend my gardening work for the timebeing anyway.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 4:31 pm

I don't have a mobile phone but I've been following advice on the BBC website. I will need to go out tomorrow to pay my rent and for food, but that will be it for a few days.

We got told on Monday that the shop is shut and not to go in to work.

I feel sorry for those employees who are being told to go to work still but are not key workers because they are in an unclear position.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 4:42 pm

^ you just inadvertently reminded me of the existence of Mike Ashley. 8-O

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 4:59 pm

The highlight of my day for the past couple of weeks has been going to Asda, and sometimes Aldi. Pretty much back to normal in these places of late, shelves reasonably well stocked, not too many shoppers, most trolleys not heavily laden. That could all change very quickly, I suppose, if we started getting reports of several hundred deaths per day...

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 5:02 pm

^Yes when I went into town every day to go to work I shopped for food on the way home and my head was 'don't take more than you need' and now it's 'don't go out unless you have to' and I'm 'I have to because I didn't stock up'.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm

It is terribly sad. I popped out late last night to get some bits.

A lady walked into the shop and burst into tears. It is just a small local tesco.

I tried to console her and help her get some stuff whilst keeping a distance. (I just wanted to hug her)

We are both on the vulnerable list , she is having chemo, and neither of us wanted to go out.

She is also a vegetarian and there was no fruit or veg.

We soon got going and found stuff she could use and had a laugh too.

I felt deeply for her because she lives on her own and it was pride stopping her from asking for help.

She agreed she would reach out to people and was very thankful.

I was thankful I could get cheese doritos.

Not sure if I will get a letter or not but I have been doing my best to stay safe for many weeks.

Yes I am worried - but what can I do? Just try to carry on and keep occupied.

We all need to look after each other.