Page 1 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 163  Next

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 11:33 am

Certain employers, particularly government, or for roles that need background/security checks, like teaching, absolutely consider official cautions and any court orders (re fines, payments, backrupty) when choosing employees.

Accents in the UK are said to be noticably different every 25 miles.

There is no requirement to disclose any medical information (e.g. diagnosis) to driving authorities unless it is reasonable to assume it impairs the ability to drive. There was a TV programme last year following 3 autistuc/aspergian learners.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 11:34 am

I don't think there is an English culture. I am from Liverpool and think I would have far more in common culturally with people from Ireland, Scotland and North wales than people from the South.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 11:48 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I don't think there is an English culture. I am from Liverpool and think I would have far more in common culturally with people from Ireland, Scotland and North wales than people from the South.

As would anyone not from the South.

But also, there is a very strong Liverpool-Ireland link, what with it historically being the major immigration route.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:10 pm

Yes but there isn't really a strong link with say Glasgow yet I would feel I had more in common with someone from there than say Plymouth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm

I think this could very well become a good source of information for UK people on the Spectrum.

Even if they only wanted the latest Sainsbury sales.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:19 am

I discovered cat cafes the other day.
The one I was looking at in particular offered free entry to autistic kids 6-16 yrs.

There are also dog cafes opening.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:58 am

UK rules! :hail:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:07 am

Joe90 wrote:

Nice of you to drop by.
I take it you like the idea of this thread?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:29 am

I think it's a good idea Temeraire.

I went through the process of claiming Universal Credit in Oct 2017 so I'm up to date if anyone has questions. I've just got a 16 hour job so I'm beginning the process now to only being on the housing benefit portion of UC so I'm learning that bit now.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:32 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I think it's a good idea Temeraire.

I went through the process of claiming Universal Credit in Oct 2017 so I'm up to date if anyone has questions. I've just got a 16 hour job so I'm beginning the process now to only being on the housing benefit portion of UC so I'm learning that bit now.

Hello Fluffy, nice to see you on here.
Yes any help with benefits would be most welcome - it is such a minefield.
I am sure you would be an asset here in many ways. :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:43 am

Lincolnshire

Grantham Job centre has a group for people on the spectrum, it's gone so well that it's helping other job centres across Lincolnshire and Rutland to start their own. Some members have jobs, some don't, it's basically a discussion (that you don't have to contribute to) on the problems people on the spectrum have in work and with the job centres. Most recently disusing how the initial Universal Credit application could be more autism friendly. You don't have to be signing on at Grantham to go to it.

You can PM me for more about this if you like.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:07 am

I used to hate going to the Job Centre most depressing place in the world, they had these weird machines where you were supposed to find a job on them I have no idea how they actually worked.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I used to hate going to the Job Centre most depressing place in the world, they had these weird machines where you were supposed to find a job on them I have no idea how they actually worked.

The idea behind them was that you kept answering questions which narrowed the available jobs down to a reasonable number. In other words it assumed everyone lived in London where there were lots of jobs. Before them we had a board with every local job pinned to it, I could scan every job within a minute, which meant I not only knew that there was no jobs I was trained for, but also what jobs there were so I could think about training. With the machines I had to keep answering STUPID BL**DY QUESTIONS until the end and then THERE WAS NO BL**DY JOB so it would tell me about a job in Germany. I stopped using them, it was ether that or take an axe to them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 2:14 pm

Temeraire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Nice of you to drop by.

Yes. As a Brit I do feel outnumbered here because the majority of members are from USA.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Nice of you to drop by.

Yes. As a Brit I do feel outnumbered here because the majority of members are from USA.

There are plenty of Brits on here to make this fruitful thread.
Already I have seen some answering questions for others.
It may take time for others to come say hello.

Last edited by Temeraire on 03 Feb 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:07 pm

There are plenty, plenty of Brits here.

I find UK people, usually, to be more modest than Americans. Less apt to "show themselves." This could give the impression that there are more Americans here than the actual quantity of Americans.

This is a worldwide Site. But it's primarily in the English language; I find that a person who doesn't speak English well has a distinct disadvantage here.

But there is no disadvantage in being a Brit--at all.

It's not because he's a Yank that Trump and US politics in general have dominated this Site. It's because Trump is so polarizing...and brings out the "political" in otherwise "apolitical" people.

It would interesting what reaction Neville Chamberlain's "appeasement" of Hitler would have been invoked in 2018 WrongPlanet. I would say that this would dominate this Forum, like Trump dominates this Forum. There really wasn't much that was polarizing about President Roosevelt. He was sort of like Winston Churchill; both were very good at appealing to the people through "fireside chats."

There's no question that Winston Churchill is one of the great men of English history.