Page 91 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 163  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:11 pm

...Well, thank you. That DOES look like ' crisps " in the sense I was thinking of :? .

Ferris"]

ASS -P wrote:
...Shurely 8O " Roast Chicken crisps " is a different sense of ' crisps " than what I think of as the British meaning of " crisps " - meaning what's called in America " chips " - Doritos, Cheez Doodles, et al??? Would " roast chicken crisps " be something akin to Chinese restaurant chicken chunks cooked with stuff and bread :( or McDonalds Chicken McNuggets :? ???
I get the impression that canned food is a bit more widly consumed in the UK of today than in the U.S., at least for some foods. Maybe it"s even Northern California to some extent having a certain " Well, we eat fresh, off the farm, food! (or we pretend that we do) " 8) snobbery that I'm calculating from here :lol: !

nah , Roast Chicken crisps = Roast Chicken chips

I would say that UK supermarket tinned food makes up about 5% of stock , I would say tinned food is bought by older generations or people on a budget.

We'll all be on tinned food soon thanks to Teresa May :lol:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...With the mention of Dr. Pepper(R) - You've REALLY! given me a chance to digress :l here, you may regret this :lol: - When I was a child in the greater/Metropolitan New York City area (" New Netherlands ") Dr. Pepper was not sold widely there (Apparently 100% not at all in NYC proper) and I associate Dr. Pepper, especially out of a glass with ice, with trips to my mother's East Texas family :) . A 60s Dr. Pepper commercial (" advert " :!: ) (can't link :( ) sang " not a cola...but a blend)if rich fruit flavor/CHARGE!..." (ooper, went on too long :oops: )...and I recall a statement that, in soft-drink industry terminology, DP was not considered to be a cola...But, when Coca-Cola(R) 8)introduced Cherry Coke(R) I recall someone who had a building mini-store saying to me "As far as I'm concerned, Dr. Pepper is Cherry Coke"?! :P

I've always assumed Dr Pepper and Cherry Cola were essentially the same thing.

Ray Davies's mention of 'Coca Cola' in the Kinks' 1970 single Lola initially got the song banned by the BBC, for promoting a specific commercial product, so it was hastily changed to 'Cherry Cola' in the version that was finally released. I like the way Davies rolls his eyes when he sings that phrase:

EDIT: and yes, just to confirm, Roast Chicken crisps would be some sort of 'chips' in the good ole US of A!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 9:19 pm

DeepHour wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...With the mention of Dr. Pepper(R) - You've REALLY! given me a chance to digress :l here, you may regret this :lol: - When I was a child in the greater/Metropolitan New York City area (" New Netherlands ") Dr. Pepper was not sold widely there (Apparently 100% not at all in NYC proper) and I associate Dr. Pepper, especially out of a glass with ice, with trips to my mother's East Texas family :) . A 60s Dr. Pepper commercial (" advert " :!: ) (can't link :( ) sang " not a cola...but a blend)if rich fruit flavor/CHARGE!..." (ooper, went on too long :oops: )...and I recall a statement that, in soft-drink industry terminology, DP was not considered to be a cola...But, when Coca-Cola(R) 8)introduced Cherry Coke(R) I recall someone who had a building mini-store saying to me "As far as I'm concerned, Dr. Pepper is Cherry Coke"?! :P

I've always assumed Dr Pepper and Cherry Cola were essentially the same thing.

Ray Davies's mention of 'Coca Cola' in the Kinks' 1970 single Lola initially got the song banned by the BBC, for promoting a specific commercial product, so it was hastily changed to 'Cherry Cola' in the version that was finally released. I like the way Davies rolls his eyes when he sings that phrase:

EDIT: and yes, just to confirm, Roast Chicken crisps would be some sort of 'chips' in the good ole US of A!

...Thank you again! :) ! I am now listening to that TOTP performance (audio only, since I'm writing :( )...It sounds like a straight lipsynch of the record, not a new version. I have read that on TOTP (which was all but never shown in America) artists who appeared on it were supposed to record a new version of their song at the BBC studios before the show & lipsynch to it on the show, BUT, that bands would tend to, instead, " spend their fee for the show on booze (& more :P :mrgreen: ?) and hang out backstage the afternoon of the show hoping the Musicians Union didn't catch them "! :lol: and just mime to the staight recording when they shot the show! :mrgreen: Another BBC-friendly substitution of that sort from that period I know of was Mott the Hoople " All The Young Dudes "..." unmarkeplacing " Marks And Sparks "! As far as that old Beeb dislike of product references by name goes, you might think that commercial US radio and TV would be more concerned with " giving a free commercial " I guess but no :| .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 10:55 pm

It's probably the case that if that Kinks song had been released in the present period, it would have been far more likely to be banned for infringing some rule of gender PC (eg from 2:30 to 3:08), than for any reference to a soft drink.

Virtually all TOTP performances in the 70s seemed to consist of bands miming to the record, whatever the regulations stipulated. One of the few performers who did make an effort to sing live was Rod Stewart - the vocals in this clip are clearly different from those on the single release, though I'm not sure the same can be said for the instrumental backing track, which sounds identical to me.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 11:12 pm

TOTP sounds a lot like our Countdown.
The funniest performance I can remember was James Reyne of Australian Crawl pretending to play the harmonica, looking very self-conscious about it, fumbling for it in his pocket at the wrong time and he even misses some of the music and looks like he's trying hard not to laugh.
One of my all time favourite clips.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 11:14 pm

miming fail - All About Eve - Martha's Harbour

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 11:37 pm

^ what happened there? Wrong song? Forgot the song? Wanted a chat?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 9:40 am

Raleigh wrote:
^ what happened there? Wrong song? Forgot the song? Wanted a chat?

The sound dudes didn't play the backing track through the musicians monitors so they didn't hear anything.

The band was invited back and they insisted on playing live.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:21 pm

I really don't want to know what you get up to alone. :jester:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

^What, eating fish finger sandwiches and watching DCI Banks? why wouldn't you want to know that; can't you

handle that much excitement :tongue: .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:54 pm

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

Is it just me or does:
http://www.celticfc.net/pages/stadium_lightshow
read like they only give a crap about epileptic people?

Even though I told them I had issues because I was autistic?

Anyway I emailed that email address. They say they'll provide clear info right?

I'm not even a bad writer. I explained everything twice, once to the disability liaison woman and once to the disability supporter's club man. They just ignored me. :x

It's not stopping me supporting them. I even still go to away matches. But I can't go to home matches and if you don't go to enough home matches you can't go to away matches which matter, like league ones, just friendlies.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:18 pm

It seems to be saying that anyone sensitive to light should sit outside of the main stadium bowl. Would that make

it ok for you? are you allowed to sit elsewhere?

They asked doctors and epilepsy but no mention of autism, it's the doctors who should have mentioned autism.

They say similar lights used elsewhere have not adversely affected anyone but I don't see how they can know that.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

I think they are saying that you can watch the match without watching the light show.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 12:17 am

I'm trying Vera Lynn out for size. She's a real Bow Bells Cockney.