Page 92 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 163  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 12:17 am

I'm trying Vera Lynn out for size. She's a real Bow Bells Cockney.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 5:56 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
It seems to be saying that anyone sensitive to light should sit outside of the main stadium bowl. Would that make

it ok for you? are you allowed to sit elsewhere?

They asked doctors and epilepsy but no mention of autism, it's the doctors who should have mentioned autism.

They say similar lights used elsewhere have not adversely affected anyone but I don't see how they can know that.

I'm trying to figure out how much would be included in the main stadium bowl cos if it means the bit of the stadium where you don't eat food then that would be really awkward, if you come in late then people get judgy because they want to watch the match. I've never before heard of this expression. Usually it's by the name of the stands or the family section or the Green Brigade section where the ultras sit or the disabled section.

I think they mean two separate things, one being the lights used like floodlights, which makes sense after about 3 o'clock (NTs are really bad at seeing in dim light), and the other being the stupid night club style strobe light show which there is no need for.

And also, I'm not sure they're right unless they mean go to the food concession area, cos I've been adversely affected in the past because of being a few gardens away from people letting off fireworks. I'm incredibly light sensitive. If I was sat right away from the pitch I'd still feel the impact.

I think they ought to provide an autism room where people can go then people can go in together and during the match if someone has a meltdown there's that option, too. They have that at Ibrox for goodness sake...

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 8:20 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm trying Vera Lynn out for size. She's a real Bow Bells Cockney.

Vera's is cockney rhyming slang for cigarette papers ( Rizla's etc )

Vera Lynn = Skin ( skin is another name for a cigarette paper ).

e.g. Anybody got any Vera's I'm out.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 7:17 am

Obviously Americans don't understand the various cultures around Scottish football. Americans think Scotland is one big Braveheart movie which was never invaded nor had immigrants nor even had the 21st century...

What's more embarrassing is I don't know who's cool.

I googled 'I think Rod Stewart is cool' as in in the 70s, but for an elderly guy he's pretty cool now... him and my granddad are the coolest old people ever...

Google mocked me and said 'does anyone actually think Rod Stewart is cool'...

Ok then...

Is not knowing who's cool an Aspie thing?

Guy's a singer with a younger wife. He wears his own style of clothes. He makes good songs. He has his own personality. Ok, not the best looker in the world but that's not all that being cool is about.

I know football biases me to an extent but not to this extent...

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:18 am

TUF wrote:
Obviously Americans don't understand the various cultures around Scottish football. Americans think Scotland is one big Braveheart movie which was never invaded nor had immigrants nor even had the 21st century...

What's more embarrassing is I don't know who's cool.

I googled 'I think Rod Stewart is cool' as in in the 70s, but for an elderly guy he's pretty cool now... him and my granddad are the coolest old people ever...

Google mocked me and said 'does anyone actually think Rod Stewart is cool'...

Ok then...

Is not knowing who's cool an Aspie thing?

Guy's a singer with a younger wife. He wears his own style of clothes. He makes good songs. He has his own personality. Ok, not the best looker in the world but that's not all that being cool is about.

I know football biases me to an extent but not to this extent...

I've never even seen Bravehart, and the only thing I know about Scotland is the Loch Ness Monster. :P

Oh and ALL versions of football bore the hell out of me. I never liked spots. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:33 am

I like Scotland. I know a bit about it. I know there is "Scottish Gaelic" and "Scots English." I know there's the Highlands, the Lowlands, and the Hebrides and Shetlands. I've been to Edinburgh once. Never to Glasgow. I know Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland.

I know there's the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic. Sort of like the rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. Perhaps a little stronger than even that.

I know there were "namesake" Scottish kings in medieval times: the ones named "Donald" (though my name is Don and not Donald).

Robert the Bruce. Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Lots of moors, lochs.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like Scotland. I know a bit about it. I know there is "Scottish Gaelic" and "Scots English." I know there's the Highlands, the Lowlands, and the Hebrides and Shetlands. I've been to Edinburgh once. Never to Glasgow. I know Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland.

I know there's the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic. Sort of like the rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. Perhaps a little stronger than even that.

I know there were "namesake" Scottish kings in medieval times: the ones named "Donald" (though my name is Don and not Donald).

Robert the Bruce. Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Lots of moors, lochs.

And the Loch Ness Monster! :D

Wonder if it was fake? :chin:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:54 am

If it was true, we would have many, many descendants of the Loch Ness Monster swimming around in the Lochs of Scotland.

That's the main reason why I don't believe in Yeti or Bigfoot, either. No little Yetis or Bigfoots.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If it was true, we would have many, many descendants of the Loch Ness Monster swimming around in the Lochs of Scotland.

That's the main reason why I don't believe in Yeti or Bigfoot, either. No little Yetis or Bigfoots.

Good point. But I DO believe in aliens iow life on other planets and I like to believe ghosts are real. I'm pretty positive that what I experienced at my aunt's house a couple of years ago was a ghostly phemomenon. I think it was the ghost of her young son who sadly died in a fatal car accident a few years ago.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 10:59 am

Big fan of Scotland here. walked up Ben Nevis 18 months ago. Also rather obsessed with football.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 11:01 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Good point. But I DO believe in aliens iow life on other planets and I like to believe ghosts are real. I'm pretty positive that what I experienced at my aunt's house a couple of years ago was a ghostly phemomenon. I think it was the ghost of her young son who sadly died in a fatal car accident a few years ago.

20 millions years of dinosaur life, 200,000 years of human life. If ghosts were real there would be waaaay more ghost dinosaurs wandering around than human, yet no one seems to have seen a ghost dinosaur.

For that reason I don't believe in ghosts.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 11:04 am

Biscuitman wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

20 millions years of dinosaur life, 200,000 years of human life. If ghosts were real there would be waaaay more ghost dinosaurs wandering around than human, yet no one seems to have seen a ghost dinosaur.

For that reason I don't believe in ghosts.

Maybe beasts don't become ghosts? Maybe only humans become ghosts?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

I don't believe in ghosts....but I believe, amongst believers, that there could be animal ghosts as well as human ghosts.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 11:43 am

There's part of me which is sceptical.

The part of me which believes in mumbo jumbo believes that ghosts are the souls which are neither pure or evil. Just regular dead people.

Most living people are regular too. It's very rare in life you come across someone who is evil or pure.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 11:53 am

TUF wrote:
There's part of me which is sceptical.

The part of me which believes in mumbo jumbo believes that ghosts are the souls which are neither pure or evil. Just regular dead people.

Most living people are regular too. It's very rare in life you come across someone who is evil or pure.

I think most people are a mix of both, some are just more evil than others. Every once in awhile you get a purely rotten-to-the-core psychopath like Caligula, John Wayne Gacey, or Hitler.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Big fan of Scotland here. walked up Ben Nevis 18 months ago. Also rather obsessed with football.

That's really cool :)

I think they see it like I see Ireland, something which is easily graspable from a far distance. Although my distance from Ireland isn't that distant, it's only 2 generations away and I have Irish friends. And I learn more about Ireland on an artistic and historical level than I suspect most people do when they're Celtic fans who claim to love Ireland.

But I idealise it as some sort of stereotypical utopian place and I feel like that's what the Americans I'm talking to are doing too. It's as if they're thinking of a Scotland of 1700s? Their ancestral homeland? Rather than the place of fish suppers, old firm matches and River City on the TV.

I had a stupid dilemma and I think the answer to my dilemma is 'you're not wrong, you've just been surrounded by Rangers* fans for too long in your life and need to learn to handle banter without internalising it'.

*most of my life it was Rangers so I'm not getting into the newco debate.

And yeah, Rangers Celtic is more intense than most sporting divides cos it involves actual politics like world politics, or at least Irish politics which is pretty heated right now with the border and Brexit stuff. Young people have killed each other over it. I think the closest analogy is the football in Spain where it's symbolic of Catalonia versus Spain.

I find sport without that sort of cultural tension a bit boring tbh, I know it's not PC to say so though.