Page 93 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 163  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Big fan of Scotland here. walked up Ben Nevis 18 months ago. Also rather obsessed with football.

That's really cool :)

I think they see it like I see Ireland, something which is easily graspable from a far distance. Although my distance from Ireland isn't that distant, it's only 2 generations away and I have Irish friends. And I learn more about Ireland on an artistic and historical level than I suspect most people do when they're Celtic fans who claim to love Ireland.

But I idealise it as some sort of stereotypical utopian place and I feel like that's what the Americans I'm talking to are doing too. It's as if they're thinking of a Scotland of 1700s? Their ancestral homeland? Rather than the place of fish suppers, old firm matches and River City on the TV.

I had a stupid dilemma and I think the answer to my dilemma is 'you're not wrong, you've just been surrounded by Rangers* fans for too long in your life and need to learn to handle banter without internalising it'.

*most of my life it was Rangers so I'm not getting into the newco debate.

And yeah, Rangers Celtic is more intense than most sporting divides cos it involves actual politics like world politics, or at least Irish politics which is pretty heated right now with the border and Brexit stuff. Young people have killed each other over it. I think the closest analogy is the football in Spain where it's symbolic of Catalonia versus Spain.

I find sport without that sort of cultural tension a bit boring tbh, I know it's not PC to say so though.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 7:46 am

Talking of old school Scotland which people from faraway would see as Scottish, it's Burns night tonight so we're having haggis tomorrow :)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 9:05 am

TUF wrote:
And yeah, Rangers Celtic is more intense than most sporting divides cos it involves actual politics like world politics, or at least Irish politics which is pretty heated right now with the border and Brexit stuff. Young people have killed each other over it. I think the closest analogy is the football in Spain where it's symbolic of Catalonia versus Spain.

I find sport without that sort of cultural tension a bit boring tbh, I know it's not PC to say so though.

totally get your point on that. I have been a regular football goer for more than 30 years and have been in some pretty ferocious atmosphere's over the years, but I cannot imagine what it must be like to be at one of the proper big derby games of the world where there is more than just football at stake.

There are a handful of matches that I dream of attending and I plan to make that happen. The old firm is one of them, though I do get the impression that the rivalry and atmosphere is not what it once was since Rangers demise and resurgence (if you can call it that). Friend of mine is Turkish and flew back home to attend Galatasaray Vs Fenerbahce last season. He showed me video's when he came back, looked crazy!

Boca vs River is the holy grail for me. I will die a happy man if I can get to that match.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 4:40 pm

TUF wrote:
Talking of old school Scotland which people from faraway would see as Scottish, it's Burns night tonight so we're having haggis tomorrow :)

Happy Burns night Tuf and enjoy your haggis.

I nearly bought a haggis this week, perhaps I will get one for next week instead. Can't remember why I didn't. I like the tatties and neeps that go with it too.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 4:51 pm

Happy Burns night to anyone celebrating it.

I quite like haggis... especially if they're nice and peppery. Tatties are great, but neeps make me gag.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm

Temeraire wrote:

DBS certificates are required if you are working with children or vulnerable adults. It ensures you have no criminal record or states which crimes you have committed.

The criteria changes often so I am not aware of the latest requirements

With the current job market I also think that employers have the advantage and can be very picky who they employ.

They are about as nasty as they can get over here in Southern England. Even asking on job sites for DBS when you are in an environment that is solitary.
I once asked them if you need it for working with the elderly and you don't, if they are doing activities where they aren't seen as vulnerable. I am guessing its age related and not confined to a hospital bed.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 5:46 am

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

DBS certificates are required if you are working with children or vulnerable adults. It ensures you have no criminal record or states which crimes you have committed.

The criteria changes often so I am not aware of the latest requirements

With the current job market I also think that employers have the advantage and can be very picky who they employ.

They are about as nasty as they can get over here in Southern England. Even asking on job sites for DBS when you are in an environment that is solitary.
I once asked them if you need it for working with the elderly and you don't, if they are doing activities where they aren't seen as vulnerable. I am guessing its age related and not confined to a hospital bed.

Hello Pearls, if I may be so bold to call you that?

Yes I have had my fair share of DBS forms to fill out and they are a real pain.

May I ask you about the book Pearls of Wisdom? Sounds like it might be up my street.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 6:06 am

Trueno wrote:
Happy Burns night to anyone celebrating it.

I quite like haggis... especially if they're nice and peppery. Tatties are great, but neeps make me gag.

We had vegetarian haggis in the end.

Which sounds ok. I've had vegetarian haggis before which actually tasted of haggis and at least looked like it.

But this was really weird and hippy rubbish, too many lentils and not even the right shape :(

Once upon a time, which is probably only five years ago, hardly anyone was vegan except hippies and the vegans ate rubbish like that when they went to cafes. Nowadays lots of people are vegan and not just the stereotypical people. Charlie Mulgrew of all people (sorry football reference but when people think footballers they think Nandos or old people think meat pies) is a vegan. So there is an active effort to find decent vegan food and decent alternatives to the stuff people are used to. Bean burgers and stuff are trendy now. This was a real throwback dish... I mean obviously haggis can't taste like a beanburger but I'd like them to try and make a haggis recipe which is vegetarian and which actually tastes of haggis.

And same about neeps, we had carrots.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

Has anyone heard from Mr Trogluddite lately?

I know he has a break from here now and again but it would be nice to know he is ok.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

Temeraire wrote:
Has anyone heard from Mr Trogluddite lately?

I know he has a break from here now and again but it would be nice to know he is ok.

Bumpity bump bump

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:07 pm

^Last post, the 28th of November. It was about this length of time last time though so hopefully he is due back soon.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

100 pages of thread :D

Only one of my threads made it to the second page and that got decimated by the mods.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:13 pm

I would love to find these books about the Tudor ladies for my upcoming birthday. :study:

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Royals-Box ... ref=plSrch

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:18 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
100 pages of thread :D

Only one of my threads made it to the second page and that got decimated by the mods.

Oh I hadn't noticed - it has been very interesting seeing the different themes and topics people bring.

I'm so glad people come here from across the globe too, makes it so much richer.

I love the fact that it is very amicable on here too.

Good communication and collaboration makes me so proud. :heart:

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 11:50 pm

You're welcome. From America with love.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:50 am

heavy snow forecast for me in the home counties this evening. I seriously love snow. can't wait!