Page 87 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 163  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:07 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
TUF wrote:

I love London during the day and the evening. I just find it impossible to sleep in.

(Same as Glasgow if I go to a hotel in the city centre)

There are probably lesser known parts of London where this isn't an issue or maybe you're a better sleeper than me

The next time that you're in London, it might be worth staying somewhere outside the centre of town as it does get less busy and hectic the further from central London you are. There are some very nice districts like Hampstead and Richmond which would be quieter and more relaxing places to stay plus they both have lovely green spaces that you can easily spend hours exploring.

Thanks :) I can try these and if I can sleep in them, I can have weekends in London/do evening things in London rather than simply day trips :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 3:45 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
[Unless you love cities, don't spend all your time in London.

Hampton Court
Royal Armory at Leeds
York Minster/Canterbury Cathedral/Lincoln Cathedral (less tourists)
Yorvik Centre
Blenheim Palace
Warwick Castle

I'd skip Buc House. It's not even old.

Good list although technically Hampton Court Place has been part of Greater London since 1965.

I know but TW1ZTY is interested in the the Tudors.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 3:47 am

TUF wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
That all sounds very interesting! :D

I actually like both the city and the country. I grew up in the country but we've taken trips to big cities like Atlanta and New Orleans and I fell in love with everything about those places so I have no doubt that I would love London too. :D

I love London during the day and the evening. I just find it impossible to sleep in.

(Same as Glasgow if I go to a hotel in the city centre)

There are probably lesser known parts of London where this isn't an issue or maybe you're a better sleeper than me.

I like the British library, it has exhibits. I wouldn't recommend Madam Tussauds though - not many waxworks for the amount of queues there are. (Jorvik in York is a long queue too but it's worth it and you're all in a cart so it doesn't feel as crowded inside)

Jorvik :oops: yea that's what I meant.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 3:53 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I was wondering, does London have good food that is unique to the UK? Stuff that they don't really have here in the US?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:37 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
I was wondering, does London have good food that is unique to the UK? Stuff that they don't really have here in the US?

Does anyone remember McDonalds' American range adverts/food? That was weird. Like, um, yes, I expect American food it's McDonalds.

Would have been more interesting if they'd done French food or something.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:11 am

TW1ZTY wrote:

Cockles & Muscles , Jellied Eels , I can't think of much more Twix except for the mighty tasty food that comes from Greggs - mostly pasties but I know you get them

I meant to call you Twiz not Twix - chocolate on the brain :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

Pie and mash shops used to be popular years ago.

I doubt any exist anymore. There were very few 30 years ago.

A nice fresh loaf from a bakery would be nice to experience I should imagine. Along with some local cakes.

A proper bacon sandwich would be a pleasant change.

Mr Kraftie is the one to ask as he has visited this country numerous times and can tell you what you may find an very different experience.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:06 am

SaveFerris wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

It's not proper food and don't do it all the time but Ferris reminded me...

When I was in America I had great fun eating the sweets over there. I'd always get a Hershey's we didn't have over here. Back then we didn't even have Reece's cups. So, if you like something sweet, I recommend you do try the local chocolate bars, mostly made by Cadbury's and Nestle.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:42 am

TUF wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

It's not proper food and don't do it all the time but Ferris reminded me...

When I was in America I had great fun eating the sweets over there. I'd always get a Hershey's we didn't have over here. Back then we didn't even have Reece's cups. So, if you like something sweet, I recommend you do try the local chocolate bars, mostly made by Cadbury's and Nestle.

There's a Hershey's bar here called "Cookies and Creme" that tastes really good. White chocolate bar with tiny bits of hard cookie-like chocolates in it. I bet you would like it. ;)

You guys do meat pies/pastries right? I think I'd be curious about trying that.

And yeah the Tudors were fascinating to me! I know England has had many other royal families and rulers but I developed an interest in King Henry the VIII and his wives and daughters ever since reading those books in high school. It would be cool to learn more about them. 8)

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2019, 8:22 am

Temeraire wrote:
Pie and mash shops used to be popular years ago.

I doubt any exist anymore. There were very few 30 years ago.

They definitely aren’t as common as they used to be but there are still some pie and mash shops left in London. M. Manze, Godard’s and F. Cooke are all particularly well renowned for providing top quality pie and mash and they can be found in various parts of East and South-East London.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:11 am

Its pretty common to have a Sunday roast in a pub here. Head to the countryside, find a nice old traditional pub with low wooden beams and carpeted floor and have a roast.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:51 am

What exactly is a "roast"? I'm curious because the only roast I can think of here in the US is pot roast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_roast

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 12:18 pm

Put it on a tray, cover it in oil, maybe cover it in foil if you don't want it dry.

Just append "roast" to:
Potato
Beef
Chicken
Lamb
Pork
Carrots
Parsnips...

Then add:
Gravy
Cabbage
Swede
Peas
Stuffing
Yorkshire Pudding

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

I'm drooling. :D

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 12:24 pm

This is a traditional Anglo-Indian dish that I'm picking up from my local Indian takeaway in a few hours:

Chicken Tikka Masala