Have you had a near-drowning experience?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Jul 2009, 9:19 pm

My near drowning experience when I was 13 has left me afraid to go swimming. My step sister was drowning in a pool and because there were no life guards that I could see I tried to save her myself. I wasn't a very good swimmer although I could usually stay afloat, but she pushed me under the water and sat on me. I couldn't get up for air and I must have passed out because the next thing I remember is being dragged to the side of the pool by a man.
My step sister was fine - she sat on me! Although I was made to spend the rest of the day in the first aid room.

Has anyone else almost drowned?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jul 2009, 9:40 pm

yes i almost drown in the pacific ocean when i was 4 or 5 because we were out having a picnic and my grandma wanted to take this shortcut through some rocks and suddenly the ocean came up out of nowhere. how i clinged to the rocks i didnt know but i felt like a i couldnt swim. it was aweful and i really dont swim all to much anymore because of it unless i can see the bottom of whatever im swimming in

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2009, 11:12 pm

I was 8 or 9, it was a family outing in FL. I was about stomah deep in the ocean, next thing I know the rip tide got me. Before I knew it I was in water way over my head. I kept pushing off the bottom to get a few secs above the water to look around. I remember surfacing about 10 times, before the last time (said my goodbyes). Went down to what I thought was my grave. Just then I felt a hand grab me, my dad saved my life!! ! Months of nighmares followed.

Brittany2907

06 Jul 2009, 1:11 am

^^ I've been caught in a rip as well and I was only 6, but somehow I managed to stay with my head above the water and my dad saved me also.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 4:58 am

loads of times - as a kid/teenager I was fascinated with free diving and always trying to break some of my little records (I was no Jacques Mayol though). quite a few times I went a bit overboard, overestimated my capability a whole lot and would've drowned if it wasn't for other people pulling me out. I really makes me cringe to think of it now, it was childish and stupid.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 5:44 am

When I was 4 years old, my aunt took me to go swimming at a pond near Aubern Lake in Auburn Maine. I went in and thought the string of beaded bouys looked cool, and went to touch them and hit a drop off. Some other kid hauled me out of the water and I never went back there again.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 7:07 am

When I was very little -- about two or three years old -- I nearly drowned in the university swimming pool. (It functioned as a public pool on weekends.) I don't remember the incident, but my mother said that when I was pulled out of the water and settled down, I said, "It is not pleasant down there. One cannot breathe at all."

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2009, 8:44 am

I said, "It is not pleasant down there. One cannot breathe at all."

Very similar in my many near death experences. I would run to the edge of death laughing, my mom would always ask "what the hell were you thinking", I would explain my errors and what I would do different next time. As a young teenager I would make homemade parachutes and jump from about any height (60' or less). This lead to me joining the army as a paratrooper, left my broken.

06 Jul 2009, 1:45 pm

No not really. I just remember being in Yakima when I was six and I was swimming in my uncle's backyard and I went too far out into the pool and there was a drop to the deep end and I slipped and started to fall into the deep end and I couldn't swim so my dad raced over and pulled me back to the shallow end. That was it. I knew next time to not go that far so I stayed in the shallow end. I started wearing these floaters on my arms little kids wear when I go in that pool. My dad also pointed out the line at the bottom of the pool telling us that's where the drop starts and you fall into the deep end.

Fishimonimus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2009, 6:14 pm

i almost drowned in a pool in france when i was about 7.

i'm terrified of the sea and deep water so that may be why, although i cant remember if i was afraid of it before :?

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 7:28 pm

Almost drowned twice in a wavy pool when I was visiting a water park with a church group. The lifeguard was right freaking there during both near drownings but lucky I was able to splash and kick my way towards a wall...it wasn't easy to climb up though when the waves start kicking. All the lifeguard did ask tell me if I was alright and just made a humorous antidote about the pool waves. Apparently since I was 15 at the time, she assumed that I was capable of swimming, HA!

I know better than to enter a wavy pool without something to ride on now!

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 7:37 pm

At least twice that I know of.
Both times in a kiddy pool (you know, the type you blow up and fill with a hose.).
Both times, my brother sat on me.
My brother, while younger than me, was/is on the heavy side, so.

Rather unpleasant experiences.
Horrible really. Nothing quite like being unable to breathe.
One of those little but oh-so important things in life that so many people don't even notice until they can't do it...

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 9:55 pm

I was put into a pool with way too many people in it when I was very young. I was given a floaty ring but it was faulty and had a hole in it. The people in the pool were walking around it to create a whirlpool. My floaty eventually sank or I got pushed down in the water and the only thing I remember was being underwater. I had my eyes open under the water and was trying to breathe. I remember being scared I was under the water. I also seen a girl swimming underwater. I'm not sure how I got back up but someone got me out of the pool and acted like nothing happened and that I was exaggerating. I'm not sure why I didn't know you couldn't breathe under water either.

I'm not afraid of water though.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm

Sharks are probably the reason for my fear of pools and water (especially when you see movies where they could be released in pools <.< )

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 8:57 am

i learned to swim in the middle of a near-drowning experience

i wasnt going through the actual drowning

but i was in the middle of black deep dam-water, fully clothed, not on purpose, and splashing around

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2009, 10:00 am

Once when I was little, when my brother pushed me into the pool. I made it all the way to the bottom of the deep end and swallowed a water bug. Luckily my cousin was quick to react and got me out of the pool.