Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

Just curious what people are learning right now, whether that's in school or self-teaching at home. I'm learning harmonica.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:15 pm

I'm learning to paddleboard and SUP surf.
Also MIG welding and plasma cutting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

I LOVE learning new things.

I learned, today, that peach goes with beige very well.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 5:04 pm

learning something you’re interested in releases dopamine to retain it... it’s why it’s so enjoyable to learn anything of interest, and underwhelming subjects can be painfully difficult to retain for long.

have been finding a self expressive unnamed martial art that’s inspired from chinese, japanese, and thai influences(arts and philosophies)... getting back into studying reading and writing japanese script, and studying a statistics textbook for retaking it fall semester. also recently got a fascinating ocarina, and uta shinobue(small japanese flute) that are of great interest too... though, the ocarina is oddly addictive to pace about in private making eerie forest noises with, and when played conventionally, the resonance it makes feels quite pleasant.

also thinking to go back to a kenpo dojo that’s just past the nearby-ish college to remember how to be around too many again through immersion, and maintain routine walking endurance(can’t drive because of a seizure disorder, and the closest bus is within the college campus.).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:12 am

I hate learning for the sake of learning. I love learning things that truly interest me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2018, 2:37 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I hate learning for the sake of learning. I love learning things that truly interest me.

That's crazy talk.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:12 am

Absolutely. I've been wanting to get into indie game development for a long while (though I have made a few small games before, but they weren't serious efforts by any means), and I recently took it upon myself to start reading some books related to the subject.

The first one I'm reading right now is named "Game Design Theory Fundamentals", written by Tylor Chacon. It's a very well-written work on the fundamentals of game design - the concepts are explained concisely and coherently, and you're bound to pick up on them very quickly. In fact, reading it has made me look back on my previous game development efforts from a whole new perspective and contemplate how they fulfill the fundamentals explained in the book.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:14 am

I am improving steadily on the tennis court. I had a really good lesson last Saturday.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

I'm learning harmonica too! It's nothing new though. I've been continuously learning it for a few years now.
Other than that, I'm currently working on learning how my printer works - to get the best printing results.