Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

I do, a pipe that is, because it allows me to focus my concentration while reading. Otherwise my mind wanders and it can take hours and hours just to read a five or six page journal article. Do I fear lung cancer or similar? Not at all. First, I know several people who were into that whole health food exercise live like a monk crapola who still had serious health problems, including cancer and problems with their cardiovascular system. Second, I don't fear death at all and have little desire to end up in pain at 85 watching my slow death from body system failures, all that health food and yoga ultimately useless against the Reaper anyways.

So, I love nothing better than a hot cup of black coffee and a pipe of cherry tobacco. Luckily I have lived mostly in states where the people don't want to put smokers in Nazi style camps (one of the few benefits of living in mostly Red states like MS and ND).

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 3:36 pm

Honestly it disgusts me to the point of it being a phobia.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Honestly it disgusts me to the point of it being a phobia.

Why?

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 3:48 pm

I don't know its a Phobia its irrational.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 3:52 pm

I do not smoke.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2018, 4:44 pm

Unfortunately I smoke daily. I used to smoke occasionally (when I had much stress) but in September 2017 I had so much stress and smoking helped so much that I got addicted and smoke even on calm days (though on such days I smoke just one or two). I hope to quit soon but I'm noy trying yet.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

I don't smoke - I can't breathe properly around tobacco smoke, it would probably be a terrible idea for me to try smoking myself.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I don't smoke - I can't breathe properly around tobacco smoke, it would probably be a terrible idea for me to try smoking myself.

I cant function properly until I've had a pipe and at least two cups of black coffee. Is this drug addiction? Probably.

AllanB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2018, 5:29 pm

I smoked (cigarettes) daily for 9-10 years and then quit when I was around 25. I then began smoking again about 5 years later but quickly quit again. Had a few shorter periods of smoking after that. Then I quit completely for 6 years. I've been smoking again for 2-3 due to stress (various issues) but am planning to stop again soon.

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2018, 5:32 pm

Here's something funny, I was once offered a chance to smoke, but I was so autistic and unaware of how smoking body language works in terms of inhaling and puffing cigarettes that I could never figure it out and so I just never smoked at all in my life and I figured I shouldn't do it anyway, so...

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 7:11 pm

I find smoking disgusting and even hate being in the same room as smokers.

However, I believe in personal autonomy, and as such if a person wants to smoke, let them. It's none of your business.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Mar 2018, 7:32 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
I find smoking disgusting and even hate being in the same room as smokers.

However, I believe in personal autonomy, and as such if a person wants to smoke, let them. It's none of your business.
I never tried smoking due to sinus & allergy problems & don't even like being around people while they're smoking.
I have no problem with others rite to smoke thou as long as other people don't have to be around them while they're doing it & the smoke isn't going somewhere it's not supposed to; for example me & my girlfriend live in a townhouse apartment with very thin walls & our neighbors started smoking pot alot a few months ago & the smell keeps going into our place. We're thinking we may have to move out partly because of this.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 5:08 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I cant function properly until I've had a pipe and at least two cups of black coffee. Is this drug addiction? Probably.

Possibly.. but I'd lean more towards "self medicating," in those doses.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 5:46 am

I smoke a tobacco pipe a few times per month. I like an unflavored dark and mild mix. Pipe and cigar smoke is not meant to be inhaled. It is strong enough for enough nicotine to get absorbed in the mouth. Many people tell me the smoke smells good, but I would never inflict it on them indoors, or in a crowd.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 12:26 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I smoke a tobacco pipe a few times per month. I like an unflavored dark and mild mix. Pipe and cigar smoke is not meant to be inhaled. It is strong enough for enough nicotine to get absorbed in the mouth. Many people tell me the smoke smells good, but I would never inflict it on them indoors, or in a crowd.

Nods to a fellow piper. Same here with the indoors and crowd thing. There are some states such as Illinois where that's even illegal indoors.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Possibly.. but I'd lean more towards "self medicating," in those doses.

Without my smoke and coffee I get a pounding headache and cant concentrate. Very irritable and unhappy.