What do you think about daylight savings time?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm

Are you for it or against it?

If against it would you rather they stick with spring ahead time or fall back time year round?

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 10:23 pm

Hate it.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm

It has no legitimate reason.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2017, 11:53 pm

I'm against it & would rather have spring ahead all year because it gets dark way to early in winter & bright light shines through the blinds when I go to bed. I saw on Teen Titans Go yesterday(or was it Saturday) that daylight savings time was created by farmers who kidnapped the extra hour so people would have to wake up earlier as revenge for eating alot of the farmers' vegetables.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 3:33 am

I like the extra hour of light in the evening to do stuff outside in the summer.

I would have DST from mid-late April to early-mid October. Waking up and going to work or school in the dark stinks. What good is it that it gets dark an hour later in March when it is still cold?.

When I was a kid Daylight Savings time started the last Sunday in April and ended a week earlier then now.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Nov 2017, 4:51 am

Hate it.
On my latitude you wake up before dawn in the winter anyway but sunset before 4pm really sucks. You can't get kids to play outside after school, it's all dark and the playgrounds are usually not lighted, so you are forced to go home even if the weather is excellent. I hate the fact that no-afternoon time starts in October.
I'm glad that Poland is due to leave DST next year, leave the summer time for all the year. Two troublesome jetlags less and more sunlight in the autumn afternoons are both profits, while most people need electric light in the mornings anyway.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 6:01 am

Why can't we spring forward Friday and fall back on Sunday?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 4:27 pm

I totally hate daylight savings. Sunlight makes me feel sick (nausea and dizziness), and that also puts me in a bad mood on sunny days. I have to wear sunglasses during daylight, even if I'm in the house with curtains shut. It's a sensory overload problem which has a huge impact on my life. The worst thing is bright sunlight and blue sky on snow in the winter. The glare is unbearable. My family says I'm a vampire because I live with blackout curtains shut 24/7. I barely even turn lights on at night. I totally LOVE darkness and bad weather / storms. I celebrate when daylight savings ends. Give me a dark, miserable, stormy, windy day anytime if it can't be pitch black outside.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm

I want the spring time all day long and I am probably getting it starting next year. Poland ftw!
Whose idea was it to change sunset from 5PM to 4PM in the time of year when the sun sets way too early anyway? We need daylight for depression prevention. And honestly - not everyone wakes up before 8AM(I don't unless I really have to) and pretty much everyone is awake at 4PM. If they really wanted to save kids from going to school in the darkness they should make lessons start at 9AM instead of 7:30-8AM. It would be healthier for the students too because teenagers would be getting more sleep(try to make an average teenager go to sleep before midnight - virtually impossible). And lessons end at 1-3PM so they still would have time to see some afternoon sunlight with 5PM sunset even if the end of lessons moved to 2-4PM. And adults working 8 clock hours a day wouldn't waste their whole daylight inside workplace.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 5:07 pm

Totally hate it for the same reasons mentioned above by Kiriae.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

I hate daylight savings time. It makes me very tired for a week. I also don't like how it gets dark as I'm eating dinner in the winter.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
Are you for it or against it?

Against the alternation between the two times. People can't adjust to the change from ST to DST. (the change in the other direction isn't a problem). But, when we change from ST to DST, there are more car accidents (and other accidents too, no doubt).

Quote:
[sizse=133]
If against it would you rather they stick with spring ahead time or fall back time year round?[/size]

Leave it DST all year.

People object to kids going to school in the morning dark. So, coming home from school (or being out and around in general) in the evening dark is better?

No, it's worse. In the evening dark, there's a lot more traffic, and hence more danger of getting hit by a car. And, in the evening dark, there are more violent people on the sidewalks and in the park, etc.

At the U.S./Canadian border (latitude 49), at the far east end of a timezone, on the day of the Winter Solstice, it gets dark at 3:58 p.m., Standard Time. ...and at 4:58 DST. So, say you're kids get home by 5:00. In DST, they'd be home almost before dark. In Standard-Time, they'd be out for an hour after dark.

It's better to do everything earlier instead of later. And if DST allows us more daylight during waking or business hours, so much the better.

Michael929

Last edited by Michael829 on 07 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2017, 8:11 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hate daylight savings time. It makes me very tired for a week.

Yes, people never get used to the change from Standard Time to Daylight Saving Time, or to Summer-Time. You aren' the only one who is made tired by that.

[quote[
I also don't like how it gets dark as I'm eating dinner in the winter.
[/quote]

Yes, neither do i. Or lots of other people either. More dangerous for kids too, out after dark in the evining (Evening dark is more dangerous than morning dark, because of more traffic, and more violent types on the sidewalks).

Keeping Daylight-Saving Time or Summer-Time all winter would help that problem. By the sun, we'd be home sooner, indoors sooner, and have dinner sooner...a better chance of getting home before dark.

Michael829

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

That should have been 3:56 p.m., Standard-Time, instead of 3:58 p.m., for when it gets dark (the end of Civil-Twilight) at the U.S./Canada border, at the east end of a time-zone, on the day of the Winter Solstice.

Michael829

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2017, 1:49 am

I've just realized that I misread the sign of the Equation-Of-Time table. Instead of 3:56 p.m., Standard Time, it gets dark (civil twilight ends) at 4:12p.m. Standard Time. (...plus about a half-minute, by the approximate information that I'm using).

...at the U.S.-Canadian border, at the extreme east end of a time-zone, on the day of the Winter Solstice.

Michael Ossipoff

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 1:55 am

IMHO it should be handled like how japan handles it, IOW strictly voluntary.