How would things be if everyone shared cars?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 9:17 pm

Suppose no one owned a car. People drove cars to places, parked in the parking lot and left the keys in the cars and then chose which car to drive home in which doesn't need to be the same car they came in. How would things be in that case?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 9:18 pm

I'd drive slower cars?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2018, 10:46 pm

An interesting idea; one which only one of us on the spectrum could conceive. I like it - the type of radical idea I could live with! But I have a sneaky idea the roads would be even more dangerous than they already are...

There would be fights as folk sought out the fanciest sets of wheels and left the jalopies to the less fleet-footed...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2018, 4:21 am

It would really s#ck for people who work in construction like my dad who need to keep LOTS of tools in their vehicles. They'd have to change things out for every day they went to work so things wouldn't get stolen & they'd have to bring everything they thought they may need for the job every day & unload & reload that day instead of just keeping things in their trucks till needed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:24 am

I don't have a driver's license, but I would hate for my fam to not have our own means of transportation. It would mean a lot of anxiety as to whether or not we'd get home (or out) easily, and it would add so much anxiety to my already anxious being.

That's not even taking into account how it would enable anyone to pick up a car if they came across one, regardless of age or having driver's license, and there would be fights, not just over the best cars, but over the remaining cars in the lot.

It'd be a nightmare for people like me.

This sort of makes me think of a ridiculous idea someone came up with somewhere some years ago: If you read a good book, leave it in a public transport so someone else can read it. uhm, no thanks, if I read a good book it's coming home with me to live on my shelf!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:31 am

I'm a member of a car club, I use a bicycle as my main transport and live in a big city where the traffic is very busy and often faster to get anywhere within a few miles by bike. The cost is minimal compared to the running costs of a car. I would much prefer a city with very limited, or a complete ban on, private car ownership, the benefits are numerous if you want to do some research.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 6:57 am

Have you never heard of any of the car sharing companies? We have several different ones here.. car2go, zipcar, evo, moto.. etc. People pay memberships and can drive any of the cars any time they're free. They just have to leave them in a designated spot so someone else can use it later. Car2Go is based in Germany, but they have the highest membership here in Vancouver of any city in the world with over 100k registered users because people who live downtown can't afford cars of their own And don't really need them full time.

And in the future, people won't own their own cars. We'll just open up an app and summon a self driven uber or something. It's predicted that during the transition to this model of transportation that some people who buy their own car might have it drop them off at work, then they'll put it into service where other people can summon it and pay them for a ride, and then have it return to pick them up from work and take them home later.