What things do you think shouldn't have been invented?

Page 19 of 34 [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 34  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:23 pm

Guns.

People managed without them for millennia. Bring back jousting if you need to fight. :twisted:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:25 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
high and tight haircuts.

why do you say that?

[i should have specified "high and tight hairs in civilian life"] it is my opinion only, one that i am entitled to, just like you are entitled to a contrary opinion- i never liked brutal short hair, the kind where you can see just stubble and nearly bare scalp. i don't like the way it looks, never did. there is a reason military people here developed the military haircut, having to do with hygiene in rugged environments - in more normal environments there is no reason a civilian should cut their hair that short.

my dad LOVES those haircuts, he used to have my brothers get military haircuts all the time.
he loves anything that has to do with military -- regardless of country, though..

my brother (nice one) says the same thing as you (auntblabby). also the ones with partial shaving
he actually said he instantly thinks of stalks of broccoli when he sees those haircuts ..
and he seemed really disturbed by it. he brought it up many times last year.

my brother-in-law has one now.. because he and my sister cut his hair at home due to lockdown. he actually looks fine.

i do not mind those

however..
do not like the haircuts that have half hair and half shaved, in any area of skull, but the hair part is long..

because to me it looks nothing but ugly.. the starkness of it.. yet nothing to salvage it aesthetically.

And here I was thinking of cutting my hair in a reverse Celtic tonsure (instead of a shaved triangle on top, i will leave the triangle, but shave off everything else) essentially the opposite of what Celtic monks used to rock.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Guns.

People managed without them for millennia. Bring back jousting if you need to fight. :twisted:

The gunpowder revolution is likely responsible for the end of serfdom. Please don't wish to undo that improvement without considering the consequences. Most of us wouldn't benefit from it. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:30 pm

well if your triangle part is not starkly long... (chin length or longer.. ) it could look good.
a mohawk looks fine for some reason .. perhaps because it is standing up and not making a pretense of it.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Guns.

The gunpowder revolution is likely responsible for the end of serfdom. Please don't wish to undo that improvement without considering the consequences. Most of us wouldn't benefit from it. :nerdy:

lightsabers as the compromise.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:35 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
well if your triangle part is not starkly long... (chin length or longer.. ) it could look good.
a mohawk looks fine for some reason .. perhaps because it is standing up and not making a pretense of it.

It'll definitely be longer than that, but I usually tie it up into a top knot.

Personally I've always viewed haircuts that blend real stark shaved and unshaved parts to have a somewhat militaristic or tribal appearance. Probably because modern military haircuts, the documented haircuts used by Abenaki warriors, along with the ones that show up as documented among both pre-Christian and post-conversion Germanic and Celtic peoples often have some form of another of that going on.

I'm sure that's a big part of why subcultures that wish to stand out adopt some form or another of that sorta haircut (or shave it entirely).

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:36 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Guns.

lightsabers as the compromise.

I guess I just better prepare to welcome the new Jedi ruling class. :cry:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 11:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

Personally I've always viewed haircuts that blend real stark shaved and unshaved parts to have a somewhat militaristic or tribal appearance. Probably because modern military haircuts, the documented haircuts used by Abenaki warriors, along with the ones that show up as documented among both pre-Christian and post-conversion Germanic and Celtic peoples often have some form of another of that going on.

I'm sure that's a big part of why subcultures that wish to stand out adopt some form or another of that sorta haircut (or shave it entirely).

what i dont like is when a pretense is being made of a regular preppy style hairdo, but then you see a stark cut.
the pretense is what i dislike.
esp if the long part has been styled to look pretty in the prom queen style (curled or highlighted in a typical way) and then there is a big shave..

it looks like a regular person
trying to be edgy to add to their appeal on the quote unquote
(my keyboard stopped making apostrophes suddenly) market, like a form of marketing. (even if that is not the intent)

(like when mainstream designer companies try to look edgy, in a really unfitting way).

mainly women do this type- i think it was a lesbian thing prior, and when other people began adopting it, it took away their use for it (identification with each other)- so i guess it can be considered a form of appropriation in current jargon.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 12:40 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

what i dont like is when a pretense is being made of a regular preppy style hairdo, but then you see a stark cut.
esp if the long part has been styled to look pretty in the prom queen style (curled or highlighted in a typical way) and then there is a big shave..

(my keyboard stopped making apostrophes suddenly) market, like a form of marketing. (even if that is not the intent)

(like when mainstream designer companies try to look edgy, in a really unfitting way).

mainly women do this type- i think it was a lesbian thing prior, and when other people began adopting it, it took away their use for it (identification with each other)- so i guess it can be considered a form of appropriation in current jargon.

Honestly, I'm not opposed to that hairstyle on girls because I'd prefer to not have to make-out with a boy to get to play with buzzed hair. :oops:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 12:43 am

murder hornets. oh, and venom while i'm at it.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 12:44 am

funeralxempire wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

Honestly, I'm not opposed to that hairstyle on girls because I'd prefer to not have to make-out with a boy to get to play with buzzed hair. :oops:

Yeah I figured that's the appeal but aesthetically, no romantic ideas, I don't like it

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 2:50 am

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Guns.

I don't really see the issue with guns themselves, it's the stupid people that get their hands on guns that do crime and violence with guns that is the issue.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 9:01 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Guns.

I don't really see the issue with guns themselves, it's the stupid people that get their hands on guns that do crime and violence with guns that is the issue.

Of those people though, there's a split between those who engage in such behaviours out of economic necessity vs. those who do so simply because they're incapable of restraining their violent impulses.

The former can be reduced (although probably not entirely eliminated) by reducing the likelihood of people ending up mired in an inescapable cycle of poverty since once the disincentives for not aligning yourself with that are reduced it's likely in the long run to lead to people choosing to abandon that lifestyle.

With the former, excuses don't justify it but they still exist. The latter are just needledicks who have no excuse whatsoever.

I wish the concept that a person can own another human being was never invented. Few notions have inflicted more harm upon humanity than that one.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 12:43 pm

Money.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 1:57 pm

Antibiotics and germ theory; we've become an out-of-control invasive species ever since. :(

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 2:37 am

parking meters.