Anyone looking forward to robotic cars?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:00 pm

I am. The roads will be safer and I will potentially be able to travel alone by car.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:02 pm

oh yeah , can't wait

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:22 pm

I would be scared to ride in a car with no human driver.

Especially in the roads of London.

JT_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2018, 1:39 pm

I'm not, I enjoy driving. I refuse to even buy an automatic car, let alone a self driving one.
But saying that it's a great idea for those people who seemingly got their license from a cereal box and subsequently can't drive for sh*t.

RAADS-R: 170

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 May 2018, 3:05 pm

I only care if I wouldn't need a license to go somewhere in one by myself.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:53 pm

Absolutely, I could go to places outside of my town. I can barely muster the courage to go on the freeway nowadays. Dallas, for instance, is a complete nightmare for me.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:55 pm

Yes, I am. I can't drive (sensory/attention reasons), I struggle with the people and noise on public transport, and I hate being alone with a stranger in a taxi (especially if the driver is really chatty). It would be great if there was a service where I could just go online and order any journey that I wanted in my own little bubble; I would get out and about far more than I currently do.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 6:06 pm

JT_ wrote:
I'm not, I enjoy driving. I refuse to even buy an automatic car, let alone a self driving one.

Same here but I applied to work at a mapping company that works on them. Full autonomy is likely to be just as dangerous as human drivers so I think I'll buy just about any manual car I can get with radar cruise control.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 8:10 pm

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 8:15 pm

No, computers have way too may malfunctions. They'd be no safer, they'd just make other mistakes.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 8:23 pm

I remember when when trying to find a river park, if the GPS's instructions were followed through with, the car would have ended up in someone's living room.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 May 2018, 7:56 am

I recently saw an ep of Spongbob where he got a self driving car cuz he didn't need a license to ride in it. The car had artificial intelligence & drove into Spongbob's house because the car didn't want to be alone outside at night. The car later refused to drop Spongbob off at the Krusty Krab for his job because the car didn't want to be seen there. The car basically kidnapped Spongbob & took him to places the car wanted to go to.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JT_

03 May 2018, 9:41 am

cberg wrote:
JT_ wrote:

Same here but I applied to work at a mapping company that works on them. Full autonomy is likely to be just as dangerous as human drivers so I think I'll buy just about any manual car I can get with radar cruise control.

No doubt it's dangerous, like that automated Volvo XC90 Uber that killed a pedestrian. Proves that its no safer than a human driver.
Plus I doubt that an automated car could make a split second decision. For example yesterday I had to swerve onto the pavement to avoid clipping a car that had badly timed an overtake and was on my side of the road, would an automated car have done that? I don't think so.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 3:33 pm

JT_ wrote:
cberg wrote:
JT_ wrote:

No doubt it's dangerous, like that automated Volvo XC90 Uber that killed a pedestrian. Proves that its no safer than a human driver.
Plus I doubt that an automated car could make a split second decision. For example yesterday I had to swerve onto the pavement to avoid clipping a car that had badly timed an overtake and was on my side of the road, would an automated car have done that? I don't think so.

Compared to how many people die due to human error on the road daily?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 3:42 pm

JT_ wrote:
cberg wrote:
JT_ wrote:

Uber actually disabled a lot of the Volvo's existing autonomy to test their systems. They only chose the platform for show & its' electric power steering. The regular Volvos are safer than the autonomous Uber ones with or without the robotic options. The first gen XC90 with naught but ultrasonic parking sensors hasn't killed anyone in the UK after 15 years.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

JT_

03 May 2018, 4:02 pm

cberg wrote:
JT_ wrote:
cberg wrote:
JT_ wrote:

Uber actually disabled a lot of the Volvo's existing autonomy to test their systems. They only chose the platform for show & its' electric power steering. The regular Volvos are safer than the autonomous Uber ones with or without the robotic options. The first gen XC90 with naught but ultrasonic parking sensors hasn't killed anyone in the UK after 15 years.

Exactly, and anyway driving is one of the few things in life that I get any sort of pleasure from so why would I want a robot to do it for me.
The only people I see who will really benefit from a self driving car are people who can't drive themselves because of either a disability or a medical condition.