Does Anyone Care About the Royal Wedding?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChefDave
Raven
Raven

18 May 2018, 10:02 am

For weeks I've been hearing news about the Royal Wedding that's scheduled for this Saturday between Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.

I can understand why the Brits are excited since Prince Harry is from their Royal Family. I can even understand why members of the British Commonwealth are excited. What I don't understand is why so many Americans are excited. Is it because Ms. Markle is an American divorcee and actress?

This morning as I was driving to work, some commentators on NPR were speculating as to what Ms. Markle would be wearing. My initial thought was that she would hopefully be wearing clothing because I don't think her hair is long enough for her to be Lady Godiva.

The commentators went on to speculate as to what sort of wedding dress she might be wearing.

I found myself wondering if she might wear white leotards and a tutu or perhaps something frothy and covered with lace that was Victorian inspired.

I also found myself wondering why I was even listening to this and I turned the radio off.

I honestly don't get it. Why do so many Americans seem fascinated by this wedding? I understand that the wedding will be broadcast live on Saturday. I plan to spend my Saturday cleaning house while binge watching the TV series, Monk.

One thing that does bother me is that I read an article in the Guardian about how some 1,000 "commoners" were invited to this wedding. These guests were asked to bring a "picnic lunch" because the Royal Family with an estimated worth of over £400 million—would not be providing them with a meal at the reception.

This is not to say that there won't be any food at the reception. There will in fact be TWO receptions. Chef Claire Ptak of East London-based bakery Violet Cakes, will be presenting a lemon elderflower wedding cake that will be covered with buttercream frosting and fresh edible flowers. This sounds hideous. While living in Beirut, I was once invited to breakfast by a Lebanese colleague. I was served some sort of pastry that was drizzled with rosewater. The rosewater tasted like water that had been mixed with my grandmother's perfume. It was truly awful.

The first reception will be catered by the royal chef, Mark Flanagan. While the chef won't say precisely what he'll be serving, he has said that he'll offer a variety of canapés. I would presume that he's not going to serve anything as common or non-British as mini quesadillas or mac and cheese balls. I would expect that while the commoners enjoy their picnic lunches, that the great and good will be enjoying smoked salmon with caviar. This is what I'd serve if I was catering the reception ... smoked salmon with caviar on a potato crisp topped with creme fraiche.

The evening reception will be catered by Table Talk. Chef McGrady thinks that the menu will include lamb from the Highgrove Estate which belongs to Prince Charles.

I don't understand why commoners have been invited to attend this wedding if they will (presumably) have segregated seating and will NOT be invited to partake of any food at the following receptions. People should either be included or not invited at all.

Can you imagine brown bagging it and having to make do with a ham and cheese sandwich, an apple, and a deli pickle while the great and good enjoyed fine dining along with an assortment of fine wines and champagne?

One of the esoteric pieces of culinary trivia I've picked up over the years was that prior to the French Revolution, King Louis and Queen Marie would be plied with lavish meals during which everyone would have to watch them eat. After the royal couple had retired, the spectators would rush the royal tables to devour the feast.

One hopes that nothing so crass will occur during the wedding receptions for Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:07 am

Sounds boring but the queen insisted we attend. Food looks good though. Who's getting married again?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:13 am

This Brit is definitely looking forward to it.

While all of the silly sods who follow this rubbish are waving their plastic flags and having their street parties (with the neighbours that they otherwise completely ignore and b***h about), I'll be able to go out for a nice peaceful walk in the countryside and have it all to myself. I might even go for a bike ride while the main roads are quiet for a change, I haven't done that since England last played in the soccer world cup! :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:33 am

One reason is that she is an American the other is a lot of Americans are Anglophiles

The ultimate American Anglophile guide to English culture -- from music to literature to the telly

Quote:
The Cleveland IT professional brought home a subway sign -- a wall-size one -- when he visited London.

And pint glasses from pubs, autographed band posters, menus, CDs and more.

Harnett, 43, is an Anglophile -- a lover of all things English. Not only did the native Ohioan cart home a massive London Underground sign to his West Park home. He used it to help re-create an Underground station and English pub in his basement.

The pub is stocked only with English beer and crisps, purchased from Gaelic Imports in Parma. Posters of British bands such as Madness and soccer flags line the walls, along with oversize subway maps, a Carnaby Street road sign and a warning to "Mind the Gap" (the recorded phrase repeated ad nauseam on the Underground).

Upstairs, a Union Jack is painted on the ceiling; a hallway is dedicated to Mini Coopers; a room dedicated to 1990s Britpop and '60s British Invasion bands features autographs from Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays, the Charlatans UK and a fez from ska greats Madness. In the garage sit three Mod scooters (a 1965 Lambretta and 1966 and 1980 Vespas) and a British cafe-racer-style motorcycle. A red English "post" box greets visitors at the front door.

"It's that whole grass-is-greener effect," Harnett says of his attraction to England, where he has traveled five times. "It's not where you are every day. I just love the music, the clothes, the booze . . everything that makes life there different from over here -- and better, in my opinion."

Harnett's passion may be extreme, but he's far from alone in his devotion to England. Americans have always had a special relationship with British popular culture -- and vice versa -- from the days of Dickens' rock-star tours of the States to the British Invasion bands to long-running shows such as "Upstairs Downstairs" on PBS

Not that being an Anglophile necessarily means being a royalist. An Anglophile could just as much be a fan of the anarchic punk bands the Sex Pistols and the Clash; British Invasion rock; the '90s Britpop scene; the Manchester postpunk movement; the swinging Mods of the '60s; the British humor of television shows, such as "Monty Python's Flying Circus" or "Absolutely Fabulous"; Edwardian tea and crumpets; or, yes, the queen and her family.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 May 2018, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:41 am

There's a royal wedding? :scratch:

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2018, 11:17 am

ChefDave wrote:
I can understand why the Brits are excited

I can't.

ChefDave
Raven
Raven

18 May 2018, 11:21 am

Ha-ha ... you guys cracked me up!

Anglophiles ... yeah, I suppose. I don't understand a lot of things. Why are hot dogs sold in packages of ten while hot dog buns are sold in packages of eight?

Why do people like sports?

What is the fascination with hunting?

Why do people form relationships and get married?

Did you know that a single kiss will transfer 80 million germs? I don't know about you but for me that goes beyond disgusting. Don't even get me started on how intrusive (in terms of personal body space) a hug would be.

(sigh)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 11:25 am

I was more excited about Kate and William having their third baby than I am about the wedding.

remmargorp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2018, 8:09 pm

I care about as much as if it was some random stranger on the street getting married. What goes on in the lives of celebrities does not interest me at all.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 1:53 am

I don’t care. I didn’t watch William married Kate, I think it started at 5 or 6 in the morning. I watched they love story on TV, they made a movie about how they met, I didn’t know she was pregnant with baby number 3.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 2:05 am

ChefDave wrote:
Why are hot dogs sold in packages of ten while hot dog buns are sold in packages of eight?

actually a good question

Quote:
Why do people like sports?

because it appeals to the human desire for friendly competition in a non-violent way, it's good exercise (usually) and it builds team skills. as for the people who watch it and get behind teams, i guess it helps to foster a sense of belonging, among other things.

Quote:
What is the fascination with hunting?

before agriculture we didn't really have another choice. i guess that instinctual drive is more outwardly prominent in some more than others.

Quote:
Why do people form relationships and get married?

we can't all make ourselves happy. i certainly can't, and personally it brings me great joy to know that i'm an important part of someone's life and that i matter./

Quote:
Did you know that a single kiss will transfer 80 million germs? I don't know about you but for me that goes beyond disgusting. Don't even get me started on how intrusive (in terms of personal body space) a hug would be.

not all unicellular life (what i assume is meant by "germs") is harmful, in fact most of it is totally benign. you are already teeming with prokaryotes and amoebas no matter how much you isolate yourself...what more harm could a kiss possibly do provided there aren't any blatant STDs involved? :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 2:09 am

ZZZZ

wake me up when liz kicks the bucket and we can finally see another british coronation ceremony for the first time since f*****g '53.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2018, 2:20 am

Wait, there was a marriage?

RAADS-R: 134

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:26 am

Well, the British Monarchy is an interesting subject for me, but I still would rather watch the Preakness today.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:30 am

Meghan Markle is American, so the Americans get to share our pain... enjoy!

I'm going to stick my head in a bucket for the next eight hours.

I liked the bit about the hot dog/bun disparity though...

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:50 am

My GF has gone out to watch the wedding at a friends so I have turned the TV off - Bliss

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard