Anyone with a special interest in gardening?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 11:41 am

I need to pick someone's brain. For one thing, I have a hanging planter. It hangs from my porch. I'd like to put something in it.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

I like to grow indoor plants from seeds I buy online. I love plants and have them everywhere in my tiny flat.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 11:56 am

If you have plenty of light geraniums are a good choice. They are very easy to grow and usually survive infrequent watering better than most other potted plants.

CharlesRooster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm

I have a special interest in growing things that produce food, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers etc. If I had a hanging pot, I’d put a fragrant herb in it, like Basil, or I’d grow cherry tomatoes in it. :cherry:

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 1:35 pm

I love gardening,flowers and veggies.
You should go to your local garden center and see what they have offered.You can ask questions about lighting and how well the plant will grow in your area.Lots of options for a hanging basket.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:08 pm

Quote:
You should go to your local garden center and see what they have offered.You can ask questions about lighting and how well the plant will grow in your area.Lots of options for a hanging basket.

That's not really an option where I live. I'm probably going to have to rely on Prime here. Also, I have a distinct preference for organic and heritage. I'd also like to cultivate something useful- I've started a kitchen herb garden in the screened porch. The Basil died, but the rosemary and mint seem to be doing well. Strawberries suddenly occurred to me as a possible hanging plant. There have to be some tiny varieties that could work.

Quote:
If I had a hanging pot, I’d put a fragrant herb in it, like Basil, or I’d grow cherry tomatoes in it.

I like that. I haven't been successful with basil, and I'd be worried about tomatoes being too heavy for the hanging planter/existing hook.

Quote:
If you have plenty of light geraniums are a good choice. They are very easy to grow and usually survive infrequent watering better than most other potted plants.

It's a covered porch, so partial light, I think. Infrequent watering sounds good though.

Quote:
I like to grow indoor plants from seeds I buy online. I love plants and have them everywhere in my tiny flat.

My parents used to grow ferns like that. It gave the living room a kind of pre-historic feel. I liked it.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm

I love gardening, but I am fairly new at it. i try to grow salads and herbs near the house.

Are you in a hot place, since you are still growing things?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

Strawberries needs lots of light so that is out. At least 8 hours of full sun a day.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Are you in a hot place, since you are still growing things?

Yes.

Quote:
Strawberries needs lots of light so that is out. At least 8 hours of full sun a day.

Well darn.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm

Fuchsias do well in partial light.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

If it can't send you to prison, I can't grow it lulz

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 9:22 am

Quote:
Fuchsias do well in partial light.

That could be pretty. Hmmm...Maybe I could use them to make dye too. Do fuchsias smell good? Do they have a strong scent?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 10:28 am

Nasturtiums? The flowers are edible and nice in salads, they come in a variety of colours, plus they are a lovely low maintenance self seeding plant.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 10:38 am

Quote:
Nasturtiums? The flowers are edible and nice in salads, they come in a variety of colours, plus they are a lovely low maintenance self seeding plant.

Oh cool. I've seen those before. I didn't know what they were called, let alone that they were edible. Good idea. I could do a nice red, white, and blue mix.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 10:43 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Quote:

Oh cool. I've seen those before. I didn't know what they were called, let alone that they were edible. Good idea. I could do a nice red, white, and blue mix.

I've only had the more basic yellows, reds and pinks, but I just checked and you can get them in blue and a soft white too, it would be a nice colour combo :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:23 pm

Amity wrote:

They're beautiful.
*writes nasturtiums on shopping list*
Don't you love saying the names of plants?
Well, I do. :)