23 Apr 2020, 6:58 pm

===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm

Never did like anything about that whole section tbh, but it’s been so long since I’ve read the rules I forgot there was one prohibiting discussion of banned members. My bad.

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2020, 7:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

maybe it will be best if you lock this thread

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 7:39 pm

Only moderators/admin can lock threads.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2020, 3:25 am

Well, I was just letting this thread run but it seems to have escalated dramatically in the last twelve hours.

Usually we don’t talk about why users were banned. I don’t necessarily agree with this policy, but I think Alex’s thinking was that it stops users being humiliated. As Ezra has told other people about his ban, and that is backfiring on other people, I think on balance he has waived a degree of that.

Ezra has been causing trouble on here for the past couple of years. He has received warnings from at least four different moderators and two previous bans, neither of which were issued by me.

On the day that I banned him, I opened three or four threads and every single one contained him trolling. Some of them contained personal attacks. In particular, in one thread he cast aspersions on whether other users were actually autistic.

Ezra had broken the rules again, only a few weeks after his last warning (which I believe was the first that I had personally given him). A user who has received that many warnings would usually be permanently banned. I went looking through the profiles of other users who I could remember having a lot of warnings, and the only one without a permanent ban at that stage was Goldfish, who had been banned for six months. So I used that precedent as an excuse to avoid permabanning Ezra. I mentioned the precedent in the ban reason. In hindsight this was a bad idea that has caused trouble to regular users.

Afterwards, I posted in the mod forum, setting out the case for my course of action, as well as for a “shorter but still long” ban and a permanent ban. At the time of writing, four mods have commented, all agreeing with my course of action.

I messaged goldfish to let him know that the insults Ezra had directed at him were unacceptable and had been dealt with. Goldfish immediately expressed concern that other users would think he had been “campaigning” for Ezra to be banned. So I want to make it absolutely clear:

- Nobody has been campaigning for anyone to be banned, to the best of my knowledge.
- goldfish’s claim to have only ever reported two posts seems to be true.

The accusations of mod bias I think are pretty transparently false and have a clear underlying agenda. In particular the notion that I am “pro-goldfish” suggests that people aren’t very familiar with my posting history :lol:

If anyone wants to discuss this further then please feel free to send me or any other mod a PM. But let’s please try to keep this thread back on topic for when Ezra returns.

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2020, 4:05 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Well, I was just letting this thread run but it seems to have escalated dramatically in the last twelve hours.

Usually we don’t talk about why users were banned. I don’t necessarily agree with this policy, but I think Alex’s thinking was that it stops users being humiliated. As Ezra has told other people about his ban, and that is backfiring on other people, I think on balance he has waived a degree of that.

Ezra has been causing trouble on here for the past couple of years. He has received warnings from at least four different moderators and two previous bans, neither of which were issued by me.

On the day that I banned him, I opened three or four threads and every single one contained him trolling. Some of them contained personal attacks. In particular, in one thread he cast aspersions on whether other users were actually autistic.

Ezra had broken the rules again, only a few weeks after his last warning (which I believe was the first that I had personally given him). A user who has received that many warnings would usually be permanently banned. I went looking through the profiles of other users who I could remember having a lot of warnings, and the only one without a permanent ban at that stage was Goldfish, who had been banned for six months. So I used that precedent as an excuse to avoid permabanning Ezra. I mentioned the precedent in the ban reason. In hindsight this was a bad idea that has caused trouble to regular users.

Afterwards, I posted in the mod forum, setting out the case for my course of action, as well as for a “shorter but still long” ban and a permanent ban. At the time of writing, four mods have commented, all agreeing with my course of action.

I messaged goldfish to let him know that the insults Ezra had directed at him were unacceptable and had been dealt with. Goldfish immediately expressed concern that other users would think he had been “campaigning” for Ezra to be banned. So I want to make it absolutely clear:

- Nobody has been campaigning for anyone to be banned, to the best of my knowledge.
- goldfish’s claim to have only ever reported two posts seems to be true.

The accusations of mod bias I think are pretty transparently false and have a clear underlying agenda. In particular the notion that I am “pro-goldfish” suggests that people aren’t very familiar with my posting history :lol:

If anyone wants to discuss this further then please feel free to send me or any other mod a PM. But let’s please try to keep this thread back on topic for when Ezra returns.

there's several users in this thread that disagree with what you think about ezra and don't think he should've been banned

his last ban got lifted by another mod because it was unjustified

this thread has no topic

ezra isn't coming back

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 4:45 am

Ah nuts, you were starting to grow on me Ezra :wink: . Was wondering why you stopped posting on the lighthearted thread.
I hope you do come back, you're like a piece of furniture at this stage and a lot can happen in 6 months, too much in the year 2020, but some time to cool off and reflect on your discussion techniques could be a positive thing. I believe when a person dances the baiting game, when are baited/bait others, they have to take the rough with the smooth. Best option is not to dance, imo.

I'm glad it wasnt a permanent ban, and in particular that a group of mods made the decision.

I would urge discretion at this time, its an unprecedented point in history and peoples mental health is being hammered by all these abnormal changes, that is, I hope a mitigating factor that adjusts normal application of bans, in particular for well known members, as in those we have a context for.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2020, 6:37 am

:( That's bad. I've lost someone to argue with :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 8:28 am

Yeah perhaps everyone should cool it?

Perhaps this baiting culture is part of the reason so many arguments derail threads.

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2020, 8:51 am

Amity wrote:
Ah nuts, you were starting to grow on me Ezra :wink: . Was wondering why you stopped posting on the lighthearted thread.
I hope you do come back, you're like a piece of furniture at this stage and a lot can happen in 6 months, too much in the year 2020, but some time to cool off and reflect on your discussion techniques could be a positive thing. I believe when a person dances the baiting game, when are baited/bait others, they have to take the rough with the smooth. Best option is not to dance, imo.

I'm glad it wasnt a permanent ban, and in particular that a group of mods made the decision.

I would urge discretion at this time, its an unprecedented point in history and peoples mental health is being hammered by all these abnormal changes, that is, I hope a mitigating factor that adjusts normal application of bans, in particular for well known members, as in those we have a context for.

there were only a 2 or 3 users ezra had a problem with that resulted in him being a "trouble maker". he got along with everyone else and they liked him. he's not upset if that's what you're thinking. he's just not interested anymore. once he loses interest in something he doesn't go back to it. he has his mmorpg's, reddit, twitter, other activities, other forums

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2020, 8:56 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
WTF :evil:

Too many people here never contribute in a positive manner, learned how to walk the line (and step over it at least occasionally) with impunity while a lot of good, supportive and interesting ones leave or get pushed out. This forum is a ghost of what it once was and it's getting more toxic by the day :(

Liam, if you're still reading this, let Ezra know there are plenty of people here who appreciate and miss him and personally I think the ban is biased and unjustified, especially if you take into consideration the handful of members here who have been following around, provoking and harassing him for years.

I don't agree with his political views either but I appreciate his intelligence, wit and courage a lot and how much he matured since he joined. I really hope he'll change his mind and come back.

this is the truest statement that's been posted in the last couple of days