Page 58 of 58 [ 926 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,434
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

23 Apr 2020, 6:28 pm

So, permabanned, or just temporarily?


_________________
we are not disadvantaged, we are targeted for destruction


lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

23 Apr 2020, 6:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, permabanned, or just temporarily?


until october but he says he's not coming back.



lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

23 Apr 2020, 6:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
lliam420 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
lliam420 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
lliam420 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Also worthy of mention: It’s ironic if anyone here thinks this particular mod is pro goldfish and was somehow conducting his moderating work on my behalf. This particular mod is the only one I’ve ever really clashed with, some ~7 years ago for ~the same reason I’ve butted heads with EzraS, and then we’ve pretty much ignored each other since.


right walrus mentioned you in ezras ban notice and you two talked about it but theres nothing going on with that between you two. you sure know how to contradict yourself. and you were calling ezra a boy because hes not a girl not because it had anything to with ageism and its all fake news :roll:


If walrus mentioned me to EzraS my best guess is because EzraS campaigned for my banning in the past. You’d have to ask walrus about that.

What part of “I was not aware of EzraS ban until after it had happened,” do you not understand? :? Nor did I discuss any such potential ban with anyone prior to his ban.

I have not contradicted myself. Read again if you’ve lost track.

18 year olds are boys and girls, Very Few can be considered men or women. Even song lyrics say “high school boys and high school girls,” not “high school men and high school women.”*

*I graduated from high school at age 17 But was among the youngest in my class.


right you saying so much about ezra getting banned before it happened was just an amazing coincidence :lol:

ezra is nearly 20 :roll:


I said so much, eh? All one or two posts suggesting that he give it a rest and knock it off with his trolling? :roll: Mmhmm.

Why is it so far fetched to believe that one or more moderators on this forum Also read his rule breaking posts and took note of them? That’s what forum moderators do.


you said he not them and then you specified the he as being walrus who gave out your name when he banned ezra. i watched you provoking ezra by hounding him and posting up a storm of stuff you knew was agitating him and as soon as he got taken out the storm subsided, but that's just another coincidence :mrgreen:


He because the moderator you said gave EzraS a ban notification is male afaik. Them because any mod is able to read anything on this forum and there are multiple mods.

Like I told ya: It takes two to tango. It’s no secret that EzraS and I butted heads and have had our back and forths with unsurprising autistic persistence.

Why would I continue having a one sided debate with EzraS once he was no longer carrying on dialogue with me? :? That makes no sense. Of course I stopped forum discussion with him once he was banned.




Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,376
Location: Stendec

23 Apr 2020, 6:58 pm

===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================


Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

...

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,172
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

23 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm

Never did like anything about that whole section tbh, but it’s been so long since I’ve read the rules I forgot there was one prohibiting discussion of banned members. My bad.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

23 Apr 2020, 7:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================


Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

...

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.


maybe it will be best if you lock this thread



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,172
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

23 Apr 2020, 7:39 pm

Only moderators/admin can lock threads.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,060
Location: Reading, England

24 Apr 2020, 3:25 am

Well, I was just letting this thread run but it seems to have escalated dramatically in the last twelve hours.

Usually we don’t talk about why users were banned. I don’t necessarily agree with this policy, but I think Alex’s thinking was that it stops users being humiliated. As Ezra has told other people about his ban, and that is backfiring on other people, I think on balance he has waived a degree of that.

Ezra has been causing trouble on here for the past couple of years. He has received warnings from at least four different moderators and two previous bans, neither of which were issued by me.

On the day that I banned him, I opened three or four threads and every single one contained him trolling. Some of them contained personal attacks. In particular, in one thread he cast aspersions on whether other users were actually autistic.

Ezra had broken the rules again, only a few weeks after his last warning (which I believe was the first that I had personally given him). A user who has received that many warnings would usually be permanently banned. I went looking through the profiles of other users who I could remember having a lot of warnings, and the only one without a permanent ban at that stage was Goldfish, who had been banned for six months. So I used that precedent as an excuse to avoid permabanning Ezra. I mentioned the precedent in the ban reason. In hindsight this was a bad idea that has caused trouble to regular users.

Afterwards, I posted in the mod forum, setting out the case for my course of action, as well as for a “shorter but still long” ban and a permanent ban. At the time of writing, four mods have commented, all agreeing with my course of action.

I messaged goldfish to let him know that the insults Ezra had directed at him were unacceptable and had been dealt with. Goldfish immediately expressed concern that other users would think he had been “campaigning” for Ezra to be banned. So I want to make it absolutely clear:

- Nobody has been campaigning for anyone to be banned, to the best of my knowledge.
- goldfish’s claim to have only ever reported two posts seems to be true.

The accusations of mod bias I think are pretty transparently false and have a clear underlying agenda. In particular the notion that I am “pro-goldfish” suggests that people aren’t very familiar with my posting history :lol:

If anyone wants to discuss this further then please feel free to send me or any other mod a PM. But let’s please try to keep this thread back on topic for when Ezra returns.



lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

24 Apr 2020, 4:05 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Well, I was just letting this thread run but it seems to have escalated dramatically in the last twelve hours.

Usually we don’t talk about why users were banned. I don’t necessarily agree with this policy, but I think Alex’s thinking was that it stops users being humiliated. As Ezra has told other people about his ban, and that is backfiring on other people, I think on balance he has waived a degree of that.

Ezra has been causing trouble on here for the past couple of years. He has received warnings from at least four different moderators and two previous bans, neither of which were issued by me.

On the day that I banned him, I opened three or four threads and every single one contained him trolling. Some of them contained personal attacks. In particular, in one thread he cast aspersions on whether other users were actually autistic.

Ezra had broken the rules again, only a few weeks after his last warning (which I believe was the first that I had personally given him). A user who has received that many warnings would usually be permanently banned. I went looking through the profiles of other users who I could remember having a lot of warnings, and the only one without a permanent ban at that stage was Goldfish, who had been banned for six months. So I used that precedent as an excuse to avoid permabanning Ezra. I mentioned the precedent in the ban reason. In hindsight this was a bad idea that has caused trouble to regular users.

Afterwards, I posted in the mod forum, setting out the case for my course of action, as well as for a “shorter but still long” ban and a permanent ban. At the time of writing, four mods have commented, all agreeing with my course of action.

I messaged goldfish to let him know that the insults Ezra had directed at him were unacceptable and had been dealt with. Goldfish immediately expressed concern that other users would think he had been “campaigning” for Ezra to be banned. So I want to make it absolutely clear:

- Nobody has been campaigning for anyone to be banned, to the best of my knowledge.
- goldfish’s claim to have only ever reported two posts seems to be true.

The accusations of mod bias I think are pretty transparently false and have a clear underlying agenda. In particular the notion that I am “pro-goldfish” suggests that people aren’t very familiar with my posting history :lol:

If anyone wants to discuss this further then please feel free to send me or any other mod a PM. But let’s please try to keep this thread back on topic for when Ezra returns.


there's several users in this thread that disagree with what you think about ezra and don't think he should've been banned

his last ban got lifted by another mod because it was unjustified

this thread has no topic

ezra isn't coming back



Amity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,638
Location: Meandering

24 Apr 2020, 4:45 am

Ah nuts, you were starting to grow on me Ezra :wink: . Was wondering why you stopped posting on the lighthearted thread.
I hope you do come back, you're like a piece of furniture at this stage and a lot can happen in 6 months, too much in the year 2020, but some time to cool off and reflect on your discussion techniques could be a positive thing. I believe when a person dances the baiting game, when are baited/bait others, they have to take the rough with the smooth. Best option is not to dance, imo.

I'm glad it wasnt a permanent ban, and in particular that a group of mods made the decision.

I would urge discretion at this time, its an unprecedented point in history and peoples mental health is being hammered by all these abnormal changes, that is, I hope a mitigating factor that adjusts normal application of bans, in particular for well known members, as in those we have a context for.


_________________
An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.


magz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,507
Location: Poland

24 Apr 2020, 6:37 am

:( That's bad. I've lost someone to argue with :(


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Amity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,638
Location: Meandering

24 Apr 2020, 8:28 am

Yeah perhaps everyone should cool it?


Perhaps this baiting culture is part of the reason so many arguments derail threads.


_________________
An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.


lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

24 Apr 2020, 8:51 am

Amity wrote:
Ah nuts, you were starting to grow on me Ezra :wink: . Was wondering why you stopped posting on the lighthearted thread.
I hope you do come back, you're like a piece of furniture at this stage and a lot can happen in 6 months, too much in the year 2020, but some time to cool off and reflect on your discussion techniques could be a positive thing. I believe when a person dances the baiting game, when are baited/bait others, they have to take the rough with the smooth. Best option is not to dance, imo.

I'm glad it wasnt a permanent ban, and in particular that a group of mods made the decision.

I would urge discretion at this time, its an unprecedented point in history and peoples mental health is being hammered by all these abnormal changes, that is, I hope a mitigating factor that adjusts normal application of bans, in particular for well known members, as in those we have a context for.


there were only a 2 or 3 users ezra had a problem with that resulted in him being a "trouble maker". he got along with everyone else and they liked him. he's not upset if that's what you're thinking. he's just not interested anymore. once he loses interest in something he doesn't go back to it. he has his mmorpg's, reddit, twitter, other activities, other forums



lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 126

24 Apr 2020, 8:56 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
WTF :evil:

Too many people here never contribute in a positive manner, learned how to walk the line (and step over it at least occasionally) with impunity while a lot of good, supportive and interesting ones leave or get pushed out. This forum is a ghost of what it once was and it's getting more toxic by the day :(

Liam, if you're still reading this, let Ezra know there are plenty of people here who appreciate and miss him and personally I think the ban is biased and unjustified, especially if you take into consideration the handful of members here who have been following around, provoking and harassing him for years.

I don't agree with his political views either but I appreciate his intelligence, wit and courage a lot and how much he matured since he joined. I really hope he'll change his mind and come back.


this is the truest statement that's been posted in the last couple of days