Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 11:37 am

I get fascinated with burnt down or derelict buildings, but these days you're not allowed to go in them, there's always either a security camera somewhere or some busybody sees and reports you, then you get the old bill after you.

It seems somebody always owns a derelict building and so exploring them is "trespassing". :roll: If I owned a derelict building somewhere that wasn't on the grounds of my home, I wouldn't care if people went in there, if it's so derelict/burnt that it'd have to be knocked down anyway if I wanted to do it up.

Yes I know you have these health and safety laws where if you hurt yourself in the building the owner of it could get sued, but it should be that if the owner put up warning signs, then if you're an adult it would be down to you whether you want to risk going in a falling down building or not, and that if you get hurt it's your problem.

I would just love to explore in an abandoned building, it all just interests me. But I'm so scared of getting into trouble. It's not fair.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 11:44 am

They do this to cover their butts, so to speak.

If the condemned building collapses, and you get injured, the owner of the building is liable.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

You were born too late, I'm afraid. You should have been a child in the 60's... loads of dereliction to wander around. There was an outdoor fairground at New Brighton... all closed down but you could just wander past the ghost trains and roller coasters. I was very sad when it was demolished. Near me there was also an abandoned Smallpox hospital. You couldn't get near it but I'd stare through the railings... it had an atmosphere of mind-numbing dread.
I also worked in a closed-down hospital once. It had a spare office in the entrance that we used, but we'd go exploring in the lunch hour through all the empty wards. The operating theatres were all locked up, unfortunately.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 2:01 pm

Quote:
I don't get to do what I want. It's not fair.
There. Corrected it for you!

:D You're welcome!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 2:14 pm

When I was a teen I would would explore abandoned places. Once found a place to crawl under the fence of abandoned amusement park and explored it when I was like 15.I got to walk on the tracks of the roller coaster, and take pics with my cheap instamatic.. Even tried to walk the tracks up to the highest point, but it got too steep for a human to walk. But took some cool pics. But its not something I have had the urge to do lately as an adult.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

Trueno wrote:
You were born too late, I'm afraid. You should have been a child in the 60's... loads of dereliction to wander around.
Pre-unification East Germany must have been great for that. Lots of war-damaged buildings etc. that were neglected for decades due to lack of economic incentive to do anything. I understand there was a hotel in Berlin that was partially destroyed, but the surviving part was still operated as a hotel! Probably nobody to GAF what you went in there and did so long as whatever you were doing wasn't otherwise illegal.

SunshineEmma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2018, 5:00 am

I've lived on my parents farm since 1997 when I was born. The farm is no longer an active dairy farm, we haven't had cows on the farm since the 1970s and early 80s as the milktanker wouldn't come up our drive track as it was so rough. All the old barns are abandoned now, some still have old farm equipment inside them. When I was younger we would go inside them, my parents warned us not too because in two the roof is falling in. I always expected my parents to restore them but I guess it would be too expensive... Our farm does have horses, my parents buy them in young or buy injured horses and then clean them up and train them and then they get sold on again. But it hasn't 'farmed' for a long time. It all looks very old, and nearly all the barns and old stables are abandoned. I can only picture how amazing the old farm once looked, but aged and tired is how I have always known our farm.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 4:43 pm

I used to explore abandoned buildings when I was younger, but now that I'm older, I would probably get the cops called on me pretty quick.

I really want to break into my old elementary school, I'm pretty sure I know an easy way in (unless they fixed it).

There was a house near our campground that I explored a few times, and they had an old RV too, but it got torn down shortly after I went through it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I get fascinated with burnt down or derelict buildings, but these days you're not allowed to go in them, there's always either a security camera somewhere or some busybody sees and reports you, then you get the old bill after you.

It seems somebody always owns a derelict building and so exploring them is "trespassing". :roll: If I owned a derelict building somewhere that wasn't on the grounds of my home, I wouldn't care if people went in there, if it's so derelict/burnt that it'd have to be knocked down anyway if I wanted to do it up.

Yes I know you have these health and safety laws where if you hurt yourself in the building the owner of it could get sued, but it should be that if the owner put up warning signs, then if you're an adult it would be down to you whether you want to risk going in a falling down building or not, and that if you get hurt it's your problem.

I would just love to explore in an abandoned building, it all just interests me. But I'm so scared of getting into trouble. It's not fair.

I know what you mean. I like watching videos of people exploring abandons buildings. I believe part of the problem is the ever growing problem of junkies trying to inhabit them. The rest is safety and liability mania. Where I live it seems to be mainly the city/county enforcing no trespassing to the extreme.

Speaking of such videos, this one is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FNpBrBPs5Y

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:30 pm

Trueno wrote:
You were born too late, I'm afraid. You should have been a child in the 60's... loads of dereliction to wander around. There was an outdoor fairground at New Brighton... all closed down but you could just wander past the ghost trains and roller coasters. I was very sad when it was demolished. Near me there was also an abandoned Smallpox hospital. You couldn't get near it but I'd stare through the railings... it had an atmosphere of mind-numbing dread.
I also worked in a closed-down hospital once. It had a spare office in the entrance that we used, but we'd go exploring in the lunch hour through all the empty wards. The operating theatres were all locked up, unfortunately.

basically, life if you were born after the 60s isn't worth living.

is that right?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:36 pm

Here ya go, Joe - this is one Youtube channel with over 100 vids of abandoned places explored.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AZuIeLdLfJ

:-)

(I am old enough now, that many of the places I knew and loved when I was younger no longer even exist. It can be very jarring to discover this suddenly!)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 5:17 am

EzraS wrote:
I believe part of the problem is the ever growing problem of junkies trying to inhabit them.

Yeah, this is very true =/

I had a friend whose house next-door was filled with condoms and syringes =(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 9:01 pm

There's an old service road that runs along a creek and finally out to the sea. And sure enough there's now a NO TRESPASSING sign at the entrance put up by the city.

But the thing is I was always a little leery of going down that road, wondering if there was some psycho junky lurking there. Or maybe several of them.

I think that's the real safety issue.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 9:58 pm

I wonder if this is an aspie thing? Like one of the posters above I am 62 years old, and spent a lot of my childhood time hanging around derelict places, and there were plenty of them in the 1960's.

Btw, there is a theory (? could be fact?) that some derelict places have got mushroom and mold spores in them, and that it was makes you feel odd about some places as these spores act like a drug, and in fact I have read that this could be why some people think some places are haunted.

Yes, disused Isolation Hospitals were on my fascination list as a child too, a decidedly odd and sinister atmosphere there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 11:49 pm

I know some people would criticise that just because I'm an adult I must not be fascinated by these things, but I don't think you're ever too old to be curious of old derelict buildings. It's not that I want to go to these places to play or vandalize. I just want to step outside of the mundane conformity occasionally and be adventurous. I mean, my uncle is in his fifties and he still climbs trees, right up high, because he just gets a thrill out of it.

There's an abandoned mental asylum in my city somewhere apparently, but I don't quite know where abouts it is. It's been abandoned for about 20 years, but I bet if I went in there somebody will see me and the police will come and arrest me. I would just love to go in there. There's also an abandoned cinema, which is a very old building too, and it's actually right in the middle of a busy street. I would go in there, but I think tramps go in there, and the tramps in my city are all druggies or alcoholics that you don't want to run into if you can help it.

I remember when I was 10 there was an abandoned house tucked away near an overgrown field, about a 15-minute walk from my house. It actually had a sign nailed on the front warning about the danger of falling debris. But it freaked me out, so I never went in it, instead I would wait round the corner while the other kids went in there. Nobody ever got hurt. Then another time when I was 14 there was an old train carriage left in a field by a river (by a public footpath, so it wasn't in private land) it was all rusty and you could tell nobody owned it. Me and my cousin were playing in it, when some woman suddenly came running out of nowhere, yelling at us to leave immediately or she'd call the police. I mean, what the hell? You couldn't really get hurt in that thing, as it was basically just a rusted frame, with some very old seats and stuff inside.
The poster is right about being born at the wrong time too. My grandmother told me that during WW2 there were lots of houses that got bombed, and all the kids in the neighbourhood, including my grandmother, would all play in them. There were no annoying lawsuits or health and safety. And some of these kids were as young as 4 years old, and she said that nobody ever got hurt. If they did then it was too bad. I wish things were like that now. I believe that the more laws there are, the more crimes there are. And I think the police should be looking out for real crimes like murders and rapes and robberies, etc, not wasting their time arresting somebody for exploring a derelict building just in case they might get hurt. I already know I might get hurt, and I am entering an unsafe place at my own risk. I don't need to be in a cell all night to learn that one. :roll:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 12:12 am

Yeah there's an abandoned supposedly haunted mental asylum I wanted to visit, but after many years of people exploring it, they won't let anyone get near it now because of asbestos.

There are a lot of adults who explore abandoned places and make videos which get a lot of views. So I think it's a fairly common fascination. Like all the tourists who visit ruins.

I also like visiting old cemeteries. Fortunately they've left those open to the public so far. Although in my county you can only visit them from 8 am to 8 pm, which is a new restriction.