Does anyone view themselves as normal?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 5:15 pm

You can buy clothes that say "Normal people scare me", but I have to wonder...does anyone actually view themselves as normal? It's such a vague term. For example, you might have average/normal spending habits for your demographic, but is it even possible to be normal in all areas? Does everyone view themselves as odd? I've never heard anyone say "Personally I'm normal" but I've heard plenty of people remark on how they are strange. Then again, why would someone bring up the fact that they are normal? Hmm. Maybe that skews things. But if everyone is odd in some way, then I guess there is no absolute normal. Just averages in each topic and it is unlikely that someone would fit all of those averages.

Apologies, this post might not make any sense. :x

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

"Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 6:58 pm

I am far from normal but that's ok for me - who wants to be average

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

I think when people think of the word "normal" they are really thinking of behavior that is considered acceptable in society.

If you dont behave the way your society tells you that you need to behave then you aren't considered "normal". But who really follows society's rules 100%?

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 9:14 pm

Normal is boring, the end :flower:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:32 pm

Taking "view myself" a bit literally, I appear a lot less normal than I ever used to think (which wasn't much to begin with.)

When I view myself in videos, which I didn't ever do until a few years ago, I always think; "who the hell is that weird guy?" I don't have a problem with recognising my own face; it's in the way that I sit, stand, walk, facial expressions, mannerisms, speaking, gaze; they're all massively different to the image I have inside my own head. I've thought that I masked my physical mannerisms rather well for decades, but I'm actually pretty hopeless at it. I find this rather disturbing; it doesn't bother me hugely that I appear like that, it's the huge difference between what I think I do and what I actually do that's so unnerving.

Viewing myself in a mirror never gave me that insight, but is also very strange, in a way that I've known for a long time and is rather different. My reflection seems to make my mind-body link go wonky, like my brain isn't sure whether it's part of real me or the reflection. I end up moving bits of me the wrong way because I'm trying to move the reflection's hand rather than the real one, or look over the wrong shoulder if I see something behind me in the mirror. I find this amusing rather than disturbing, though it is partly why I've nearly always grown a beard!

So I've had it with worrying about "normal". Even if I knew what it was, I can't trust my brain to give me any idea whether other people are seeing the me that I think they are seeing; even I can see someone slightly different.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 10:43 pm

I'm anything but normal and that doesn't bother me.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2018, 1:48 am

I don't think "normal" really exists because everyone sees it differently and there are lots of different ways to be normal. What I see as "normal" is "average," which can get boring, especially if everyone was the same. It would be like a housing estate where there are two or more nice houses next to each other. On their own, they look good, but if there are too many of the same thing, it can look ugly and boring.

I'm not normal, and that's okay most of the time, but I would like to be a bit more normal than I am, so I'm going to try.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:53 am

I'm normal, typical, average for someone like me. I have come across a few other level 2 autistics on WP and we have a lot in common.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

I am not normal, but I am far more functional than I was years ago. I see myself as improving. I am still far behind where I need to be at my age, but my social opportunities have greatly expanded.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 10:42 am

I do not. I consider myself "abnormal" in the literal definition of the word in that my sensory sensitivities deviate from the way most people process stimuli. Using the literal definition without negative connotation, I have no problem at all with considering myself to be "abnormal".

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 12:12 am

What's normal? :D

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2018, 12:41 am

Being normal is vastly overrated. In fact "normal people"(NT'S) are actually a manipulative group of people and they spend their time gossiping and judging people.I don't want to be even close to normal.Normal people also depend on friendships/romantic relationships to keep themselves happy.I don't believe that any social interaction is necessary or even beneficial,especially for Aspies. Happiness should be based on self and accepting yourself for who you are.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 10:08 am

The people you describe are far from normal. They are narcissists, which is a severe personality disorder. Normal to me means kind, able to function as fully as possible and to be able to feel joy in life. Anyone who is mean and manipulative is not normal, in my view.

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

23 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

Nope. I'm not normal but that's ok. Being normal is pretty darn boring to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 4:30 am

I like to see myself as normal, but I dare not say that on WP because everybody here are stubborn about how Aspies are not normal, even those of us who are in jobs, relationships and live independently. But according to some members here, all allistics are normal....which means somebody with severe mental retardation who requires 24-hour care all their lives are more normal than me.... :?