What's the most ridiculous commercial you've ever seen?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm

During the holidays, there's a reoccurring lottery commercial in my area where a man sings about how scratch-off tickets are his favorite thing to gift people.

Maybe my perception is inaccurate, but I'm pretty sure scratch tickets are considered the laziest and least thoughtful thing to give someone as a present.

Honorable Mention: A commercial for a snack where a woman had a bowl of them, and the snacks were cheering and asking the woman to eat them first. When the women picked one up, it squealed with glee as it entered her mouth.

Making any jokes about that one might cause the mods to take this down...

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 10:13 pm

The Sonic commercials. They make absolutely no sense at all. :?

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 10:17 pm

Detective pikachu the movie
It is Ridiculous because it looks good.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2018, 10:26 pm

Arganger wrote:
Detective pikachu the movie
It is Ridiculous because it looks good.

I also like that trailer. Except for Jigglypuff and maybe Psyduck, the Pokémon all look great, and it's a pleasant surprise to see some newer Pokémon along with the expected gen 1 ones. The actual story with the kid who's missing his dad doesn't seem very interesting, but I don't think that's the point. I'll probably see it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 10:39 pm

This commercial got banned shortly after it was put on TV. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 12:43 am

The Coliguard commercial where the box tells you to collect a stool sample and put it inside of him and mail him off to a lab.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:54 am

Plenty of candidates, but the one that comes to mind is one that tried to pass off an obvious dildo as a face massager.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 10:25 am

CockneyRebel,

That one's not only ridiculous, but gross too-and it inevitably comes on when I'm about to eat. I could think of a number of other ridiculous commercials as well, all centered around the bedroom, bathroom and pharmaceuticals designed to cure whatever ails you, but at great cost. The side effects are horrible.

Most ads fall into the "If you have a problem, we have the answer," category. This is true of the latest greatest invention or medication.

The only commercials that are nice are the pet food commercials. I see some lovely cats (and dogs, too).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 10:29 am

The Aspercreme commercial "Don't Smell Like Walter". The old woman is creepy, and the young woman doesn't react strongly enough.

If some old woman followed me around a grocery store while sniffing me and calling me by her late husband's name, I'd dial 911 and get my pepper spray ready.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 11:27 am

HEADON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD
:lol:

And then later they made a couple of HeadOn commercials where someone actually interrupts it and says how annoying the commercial is, but their product is AMAZING!

Saying it's amazing, however, is a blatant lie. HeadOn is or was a homeopathic "remedy" that was made mostly from wax and is about as effective for headaches as rubbing a candle on your forehead. In fact, they weren't even allowed to say what HeadOn really is or what it's actually supposed to do, all they were really allowed to do to was to explain how to use it, and since American commercials have to be at least 30 seconds long, they decided just to insult people's intelligence and repeat it several times.

Naturally, this became a big internet meme.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 1:01 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:08 pm

The Little Baby's ice cream commercial, where someone made of ice cream eats themselves.

Also the Baby Laugh-a-Lot and the Japanese "cursed" Kleenex commercials are creepy (especially if one believes the tale of the latter commercial).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:49 pm

There is certain kind of uber bad ad that can stick in my head for years....decades.

Back in the 80's there was a commercial that showed a couple: a cool looking yuppie guy in a black leather jacket, and a cute blonde slightly younger women together at a table at a restaurant. At first you assumed they were that... a romantic couple. But then it transpires that they are brother and sister. He is visiting his kid sister from out of town, and she lives in NYC after graduating college, and theyre having dinner together. He says to her "dad worried that I would find a starving artist here". She replies "oh sure. Dad worried..." indicating that ...he has somekind of long standing obsession with his sister that is running issue. So the ad became a switcheroo to the viewer. They are a romantic couple, but wait theyre not that kinda couple, but wait again...if theyre supposed to brother and sister...then...theyre pretty damned CREEPY!! !!

Made my head explode to watch. But it was like starring at the head of snake. I would always watch it when it came on, and could never look away. They say that annoying ads are effective because theyre annoying. But … I have NO memory of what that commercial was advertising. Not the brand, not the product, not even the type of product (financial services? or what). So it was gross without being effective.

Then further back around 1970 there was TV commercial with close ups of people's mouths. The screen would be just the mouth. A guy or girl would crack a smile and expose the person's front teeth. And then a felt tip pen would enter the screen from one side, and would write a number on the person's upper front front tooth! Sixteeen, fourteen, and number one. And the voiceover would tell us how our brand X toothpaste ranked number one in an independent scientific study of whatever (cavity prevention, or making your teeth white or whatever).

Grossest thing ever.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm

Any commercial connected with the bedroom or bathroom, as I have said in a previous post

That HeadOn was definitely the most annoying and repetitive commercial I have ever heard.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2018, 1:53 pm

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 2:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There is certain kind of uber bad ad that can stick in my head for years....decades.

Back in the 80's there was a commercial that showed a couple: a cool looking yuppie guy in a black leather jacket, and a cute blonde slightly younger women together at a table at a restaurant. At first you assumed they were that... a romantic couple. But then it transpires that they are brother and sister. He is visiting his kid sister from out of town, and she lives in NYC after graduating college, and theyre having dinner together. He says to her "dad worried that I would find a starving artist here". She replies "oh sure. Dad worried..." indicating that ...he has somekind of long standing obsession with his sister that is running issue. So the ad became a switcheroo to the viewer. They are a romantic couple, but wait theyre not that kinda couple, but wait again...if theyre supposed to brother and sister...then...theyre pretty damned CREEPY!! ! !

I'd like to see that commercial you speak of.

But you reminded me of another commercial that I remember was for Folgers coffee. A brother was far away in the Peace Crops or something, and the sister was happy to see him when he came home, but then it did seem like there was some bizarre sexual tension.

I googled Folgers brother-sister and got this: Folgers Commercial