Further commentary on my new apartment

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

I've already posted several times about my move and the new apartment. Been here about a week & a half now. I really like the apartment. Although it's smaller than the trailer I had been living in, there were enough furnishings that I didn't want to bring with me, that I left behind for the relative that is moving into the trailer, so that my new place is actually very roomy. I did bring a lot, but the rooms here are big, so there is room for all I did choose to bring. The bathroom and hall go across the middle of the apartment. Because it's a handicapped accessible apartment, it has to have room for wheelchair maneuvers, so both the bathroom and hall are the size of small rooms, instead of little spaces. I'm not that bad off, but do use 2 canes to get around. Because the owners of the place know that space is important in apartments, they even equipped this big hall with several outlets, a cable access port, and a phone jack. I was told that people often use this large hall area as another full room, like a study or office. That's what I've done with mine--made it into my home office. I think this is my favorite room in the apartment, but I like the whole place very much.

The soundproofing here is excellent. I am in a one-story building, so there is no one over me, but I do have neighbors on either side. I never hear any inside noises from their apartments, not even toilets being flushed. I only hear outside noises, as the windows are not soundproofed. This is a quiet apartment complex, so there isn't much outside noise, either. I am a non-social, hermit type person, but at times, it does get a bit too quiet even for me. Fortunately, I have the internet and can listen to anything I want online. Unfortunately, the radio reception is even worse here than at my old home, but at least with the internet, I can listen to any radio station that has an internet presence, or listen to a podcast.

My TV died years ago, and I couldn't afford to buy a new one at the time. I also couldn't afford cable TV service. Not long after that, my govt. assistance went up, and I was able to switch from $5 a month dialup internet service to budget internet service. They don't even advertise this price, as it's for low-income people. The speed is slow, but a lot faster than dialup, so I can watch TV, movies, and videos online, which eliminated any need I might have had for a TV and for cable TV service. I save a lot of money that way. I save more money by only watching free content. I don't mind the ads. I grew up with ad-supported TV and radio programming, so it's normal to me. I have never subscribed to any pay versions of online TV, movie, or radio sites.

After I moved here, the cable company said they could hook me up without coming over, as this apartment complex is already set up to take their service, but it didn't work, so they sent a nice young guy over. He found there were a couple of problems. One was the outside hookup, which he fixed. The other was my very old cable box, so he gave me a new one. They don't even use that old model of box anymore. Now I'm good to go for a few more years.

I'm still playing that cross between an Easter egg hunt, and that computer game where you have to find a list of items in a picture of a room on the screen, when it comes to finding stuff in crates and boxes, since I moved in. It's a challenge, but kind of fun too, when I actually find what I'm looking for. It will take a while to get things set up just as I want them to be, but it will keep me occupied thru the winter, as with my health issues, I can't do chores too fast, or for long periods of time, but I'm not running a race. The bathroom is almost done being set up. I do need to buy a shower curtain, liner, and rings, but will use sheets draped over the rod till I buy what I need at Walmart. The living room is also well along, but there is still a little to do. The hall/office is mostly done, but the hall closet needs work. The kitchen and my bedroom also need a lot of work, especially the bedroom. The kitchen isn't too bad, so I am going to concentrate most of my unpacking and organizing efforts on the bedroom for a while.

The trailer I lived in for 13 & a half years was run-down, and in need of a lot of work, but it provided a much-needed roof over my head, and served me well. However, this is a much nicer place, and will better serve my needs now, especially since I was having so much trouble going up and down the porch steps due to my bad knees. My new home has a level entry thru both the front and back doors--no steps, inside or out, and instead of a tub to struggle into and out of, it has a tub-sized step in shower with grab bars, and more grab bars by the toilet. The toilet here is also a better height for me than the one in the trailer. The rent here is a lot cheaper too. Overall, this has been a very good move for me.

I know it may sound strange, considering that I am a non-social person, but I am looking forward to meeting my neighbors. I don't get out much, so I'll probably see them when I step outside to my mailbox, or drop off the garbage at the bin in the parking lot, or when I use the laundry room in my building.

Guess I've rambled on enough. :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:36 pm

It sounds like your new apartment is a winner.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:53 pm

Congratulations on the new place!