wanna open a Mouse Dairy? read this first.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jifmam j jasond
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2019, 7:37 am

recently i made a post I know not where, that described a curious apparatus I once saw in a lab equipment catalogue years ago..
A mouse milking machine.

seriously. it exists. Or used to.
Deciding I should own such a curious object, I searched E-bay, no dice, but I found this scientific paper on the subject.
Apparently this is serious business, as mouses are used to by drug companies to determine whether drugs are secreted into breast milk.
it is hysterical, the lab-coats wrote this paper without any remote sign of satire or mockery. I could would not be so restrained.
So, for your amusement, an example of how the NT world approaches and often exceeds satire.

link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2789213/#Sec5
There are procedures for milking the mice, several , actually and apparently there are classes in mouse milking availiable.
I found the term "mouse milking" on Urban Dictionary with the exact definition I gave.
So apparently I am the coiner of this term.
"Much effort for little return."
Glad to be of service.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 11:27 am

Fantastic; thanks jifmam! :lol:

I wonder if you too are a fan of the Ignobel Awards <link>. For folks who like their science with a dash of surreal humour, they're great. Some of last years award winners...

- Research into using roller-coaster rides to ease the passage of kidney stones.

- The discovery that chimpanzees in the zoo imitate the humans as often and as (in)accurately as the humans imitate them.

- That wine experts can detect a single fly in a glass of wine by smell alone.

- Scientific evidence that people who use hi-tech products rarely read the manual (who knew?).

- Whether the stress of having a bad boss at work can be relieved by sticking pins in a voodoo doll.

- Using postage stamps as a test of penile function. 8O