Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Briareos
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2015, 11:48 pm

I love cars. I've been into them since I was a toddler. In particular, I'm particularly fond of japanese makes, Toyota in particular. Well, it's 90's Toyota I love, today's Toyota leaves much to be desired; save for it's other brands, Lexus and Scion.

I currently don't own a car, because it's just been out of my financial reach unfortunately. But one day, I want to save to import a Toyota Caldina. It's basically a wagon with the underpinnings of a GT-4 Celica.

So if there's anyone out there who shares a similar addiction to cars, why don't you tell me a little about yourself, and what cars you own/have owned? What's your favourite make/model? If you've modded it, what you have done to it? If you have any pictures, post them up! Or maybe even a car journal on a different site...

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:29 am

Ah, you like the rice boy stuff. That's popular now, and the most common car that kids your age like and fix up. In my day we had American cars we did that too, and I liked Ford. I had a prostock Mustang, a 79, but it had a 302 that I had built. If you are interested in what I did, I'll tell you. I'm not typing it cause if you aren't interested, there is no use. I ran a quarter in the low 9's back then. I raced at a local track we had. I like quarter mile. Bottom end was my thing, it had a top end too, but I didn't much care for long highways speeds, although I never had it under 90 on the freeway going to work and back or anywhere else. Got one ticket for it too, I was good at talking my way out of it lol. I learned to drive it myself in the race, and I was the first girl to win "King of the Mountain" at the track. I won it in the quarter, and they awarded it in all categories back then. Back then it wasn't common for a girl to know about or drive her own piece car. The girl might own it, but her bf worked on it and drove it. Thats just how it was. I didn't play that s**t. You had to be very special to drive my car and you would never drive it in a race, I didn't think anybody knew what they were doing. Of course I had a tricky metallic clutch that most guys who hadn't driven prostock found hard to work, so thats another reason. unfortunately it made my left leg a little bigger than my right for a while. But I didn't wear dresses then anyway and if I was wearing shorts guys weren't looking at my calf lol.

So, tell me what you would like for your car. What is your dream and what do you want out of it? You like bottom end speed or top end? You can't have the best in both, so pick one. Top end will probably be good enough in anything with decent bottom end torque. you like fuel injection too, right? I never liked it. What specs you want for yours? There are tons of gearhead mags out there and they are mostly for rice boy cars at the moment except for the specialty ones for a make or the classic cars. You read any?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 4:20 am

i like heavy powerful luxury cars. i like a very soft "boulevard" type of ride. i only like V8 engines because they seem the best balanced. V12's sound like 6 cylinder engines for same reason and are not any more powerful than V8's of the size.
i do not like the dual exhaust sound because to me they all sound the same. i like a silent engine who's exhaust note is subtle and unique when under hard acceleration.

the first car i had was one my father used to drive. it was the best car i have driven for the comfort and smooth surging power. it was a 1969 ZC fairlane (australian variant) with a 351 windsor engine. 0-60mph in 7.5 seconds which was very good for the year and the fact that the car was not sports oriented. i ran it past 120mph on a few occasions with room to spare, but the speedo only went to 120 so i do not know how much faster i was going. the handling, while soft, was easy to learn, and i was able to drive it very well through the corners, but my nephew stole it and trashed it.

here is a pic of the exact type of car (mine was cream colored)

then i got a 1980 ford LTD (australian vriety) which was a 351 cleveland and lighter than the fairlane, but was not as fast or smooth for some reason.

here is a pic of the exact type of car (mine was silver)

then i got a mercedes 1986 500 sel and then a 1990 560 sel which was disappointing. it was very powerful (moreso than the fords (the fairlane "seemed" more powerful however)), but the ride was more a european style ride which was firm and rigid. there used to be a drumming sound in the cabin when going over bumps that is characteristic of those types of cars.

here is a pic of my car in my driveway of the previous house i had.

now i have a 2004 holden statesman with a 5.7 litre V8 (350cu in) and it is the best car i have had yet. the ride is american style boulevard ride but with firm cornering and heaps of power.

here are a few pics of it in the reserve across the road from my current house.
i do not like the hubcaps.

interior shot in carpark at wentworth falls.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 8:14 am

I've always been wild about cars----ALL modes of transportation, really----but, I can't get enough of cars, in particular.

I used to draw them all-the-time. When I was a kid, a diner we frequented had antique cars on the placemats, and I used to be in Heaven drawing them, until our food arrived.

I don't really know alot about cars----I know a little bit, as I used to drag-race, "street legal", on a quarter-mile strip, and I couldn't get enough of "car talk". I don't really know about engines, and stuff; but, IMO, mustangs, and trucks with International diesel engines, are the best things Ford ever made.

My favorite cars, are the "muscle cars"----the 1970 Chevelle SS (1968's good, too), being my favorite----and antique cars (I couldn't POSSIBLY pick a favorite), and Cadillacs----the ones that were as big as boats.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 8:26 am

I used to watch top gear every single day and basically became very knowledgeable about cars in general. I could tell what model car it was by their headlights. I can also tell by the noise they make, sort of. I'm better with cars from the 2000s than the 2010s because that's when I was obsessed with them. And anything earlier than that, well, you can see my age.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2015, 3:05 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Ah, you like the rice boy stuff. That's popular now, and the most common car that kids your age like and fix up.

In my day we had American cars we did that too, and I liked Ford. I had a prostock Mustang, a 79, but it had a 302 that I had built. If you are interested in what I did, I'll tell you. I'm not typing it cause if you aren't interested, there is no use. I ran a quarter in the low 9's back then. I raced at a local track we had. I like quarter mile. Bottom end was my thing, it had a top end too, but I didn't much care for long highways speeds, although I never had it under 90 on the freeway going to work and back or anywhere else. Got one ticket for it too, I was good at talking my way out of it lol. I learned to drive it myself in the race, and I was the first girl to win "King of the Mountain" at the track. I won it in the quarter, and they awarded it in all categories back then. Back then it wasn't common for a girl to know about or drive her own piece car. The girl might own it, but her bf worked on it and drove it. Thats just how it was. I didn't play that s**t. You had to be very special to drive my car and you would never drive it in a race, I didn't think anybody knew what they were doing. Of course I had a tricky metallic clutch that most guys who hadn't driven prostock found hard to work, so thats another reason. unfortunately it made my left leg a little bigger than my right for a while. But I didn't wear dresses then anyway and if I was wearing shorts guys weren't looking at my calf lol.

So, tell me what you would like for your car. What is your dream and what do you want out of it? You like bottom end speed or top end? You can't have the best in both, so pick one. Top end will probably be good enough in anything with decent bottom end torque. you like fuel injection too, right? I never liked it. What specs you want for yours? There are tons of gearhead mags out there and they are mostly for rice boy cars at the moment except for the specialty ones for a make or the classic cars. You read any?

This is gonna be long winded, I get carried away with car stuff.... I'll keep it well spaced so it's easy on the eyes.

I take a slight offense to the rice boy term, but given your vintage, and the fact that it's not wrong, I'll forgive you. :lol: :wink:

My personal preference is toward japanese vehicles, It's just a result of the age I was born into. What the American automakers had to offer at the time were boring, and a fair bit of it was poorly made. Before I was born, my dad owned a Chevy Corsica for 3 years and he recalls nothing but problems with it. At the year of my birth, he has been a loyal Toyota owner ever since. I will never forget our 1993 Camry, it was the last of it's year to be imported from the Japanese factory overseas, so I'm told...

But on the other side, what the Japanese were bringing in for automotive product was much better. They were reliable, bulletproof mechanically, built well, and had some cool sporty options. The NSX, the Supra, RX-7, 240SX/Silvia, Skyline GT-R; these will be monikers that will go down in history, right beside names like the Mustang, Corvette, Nova, and many other classic American muscle cars that I adore.

However, I can admire and respect all types of cars and car culture; I wish to be respectful and to keep an open mind. :)
So please, if you can, I am very interested in what you equipped to your car. It is highly rare, even today, for a woman to be interested in the car she drives, and even more so for her to wrench on it herself. I think Fords are cool, the classic ones especially. Ford's latest offerings also really pique my interest,especially their new 2.3L EcoBoost engine. But I'll stay far away from the 90's Fords...

I live in Central Canada, and our topography consists of vast flat plains for miles. Straight line speed is highly regarded, and drag racing has been a staple around here for many years. But autocross, and more recently drifting, has started to catch wind with local enthusiasts.
My area's local track is based at a decommissioned airfield. You might have heard about a story back in the 80's where an Air Canada jet ran out of fuel halfway through it's flight, and had to land on the airstrip during a race day. I think it was nicknamed the Gimli Glider...

Hahaha, I'm sure it would be easier for you to wiggle your way out of a ticket, especially when you apply a little feminine charm! :heart: :lol: Your story is very interesting to me, I'm glad you could share!

But as for my goals? Well at the moment, it's very modest. I'd just like to acquire a car first, and then worry about mods. I just want to get my hands on something so I can start tinkering and drive alongside my brother (He owns a '93 Civic with a B18A swap). I'd even consider getting a Corolla! Man, I'd put all those Honda ricers to shame if I had a mid '90's Corolla with a high revving, Blacktop 4A-GE 20V swap! :twisted: If you're unfamiliar with the engines I'm referring to, just google them and you'll understand what I mean. Here's a really clean JDM 'Rolla! It is among many of my favourite discovered cars.

My initial dream car was a Nissan Silvia S14, with aspirations of a 400hp 2.0L SR20DET. That's an inline 4cyl., turbocharged engine. I am a huge fan of forced induction. It is also an all aluminum block (compared to the USDM optioned, cast iron block KA24DET, 2.4L, non turbo), so it's quite light, and a very popular swap in the tuner world for RWD applications. It was also only available in the JDM model of Silvia/240SX (Japanese Domestic Market). This car's basically the tuner equivalent to a Mustang. they're cheap to buy, and they have buttloads of aftermarket support. But I was 18, and couldn't even afford to dream such wild delusions. I certainly wasn't prepared to sink myself into debt for one either. Also for half the year the ground gets covered in white stuff called snow (cocaine?), and a car like that isn't very practical year round. Rust is the ever present enemy, and Nissans of that era are very vulnerable. Maybe when I'm like 45, it'll be a mid-life crisis gift to myself. :lol: :lol:

So I've shifted my attention to more practical, year-round driveable options. I love station wagons. They're practical, nondescript, and some can be really fast. Here in Canada, any vehicle 15+ older on the date of manufacture is legal to import. I was considering a Subaru Legacy GT-B, but I hear they're on the expensive side to maintain. That's no good. Then I discovered the toyota Caldina. 4WD, wagon, Turbo 4cyl., it has everything I want. It is also less common to import, and I like to do things out of the norm when it comes to cars.

It comes with 250hp out of the factory, and my goal for it would be to have it reach 300hp. A turbo swap to a Garret GT28 would probably do the trick, I wouldn't even need to rebuild the internals as they're already forged pieces. 3S-GTE's are legendarily bulletproof. I'd probably stop there for power, at least for a while, as I'm trying to strike a balance between my love of cars and my love of skiing.

As for magazines? I read Import Tuner, Modified (RIP), Super Street, and DSport. DSport is my favourite, their more technical articles are my favourite. One issue documented building up a 2ZZ-GE ( A toyota engine built by Yamaha) for a Lotus Elise project to make it all around better, and ready for boost.

Yeah, fuel injection is usually the way to go, however you cannot beat the aggressive sound of a carburetted engine. A triple Weber L26 Inline six inside a Fairlady Z (S30) is pure automotive music. :heart: :heart:

If I were to own anything of the vintage variety, it would have to be a Kenmeri Skyline. I would die a very happy old man if I got my hands on a decent shell, and fixed it up before I passed on... ohh, a resto-modded RB25DET swapped Kenmeri makes me salivate...

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

Briareos
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2015, 3:26 am

b9 wrote:
i like heavy powerful luxury cars. i like a very soft "boulevard" type of ride. i only like V8 engines because they seem the best balanced. V12's sound like 6 cylinder engines for same reason and are not any more powerful than V8's of the size.
i do not like the dual exhaust sound because to me they all sound the same. i like a silent engine who's exhaust note is subtle and unique when under hard acceleration.

the first car i had was one my father used to drive. it was the best car i have driven for the comfort and smooth surging power. it was a 1969 ZC fairlane (australian variant) with a 351 windsor engine. 0-60mph in 7.5 seconds which was very good for the year and the fact that the car was not sports oriented. i ran it past 120mph on a few occasions with room to spare, but the speedo only went to 120 so i do not know how much faster i was going. the handling, while soft, was easy to learn, and i was able to drive it very well through the corners, but my nephew stole it and trashed it.

here is a pic of the exact type of car (mine was cream colored)

then i got a 1980 ford LTD (australian vriety) which was a 351 cleveland and lighter than the fairlane, but was not as fast or smooth for some reason.

here is a pic of the exact type of car (mine was silver)

then i got a mercedes 1986 500 sel and then a 1990 560 sel which was disappointing. it was very powerful (moreso than the fords (the fairlane "seemed" more powerful however)), but the ride was more a european style ride which was firm and rigid. there used to be a drumming sound in the cabin when going over bumps that is characteristic of those types of cars.

here is a pic of my car in my driveway of the previous house i had.

now i have a 2004 holden statesman with a 5.7 litre V8 (350cu in) and it is the best car i have had yet. the ride is american style boulevard ride but with firm cornering and heaps of power.

here are a few pics of it in the reserve across the road from my current house.
i do not like the hubcaps.

interior shot in carpark at wentworth falls.

I've also grown to love big luxury cars, especially when done up. My tastes, again, fall withing the Japanese offerings, but if I saw an American sedan buttoned up in a similar fashion, I would rock the hell out of it. Maybe when I'm approaching old fart status I'll get on that. I am a fan of the Toyota Crown Athlete, especially done up in a VIP style, or 'Bippu' style.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm

i also like to see how old cars perform in their stock standard state.
it is impossible to find videos on youtube of stock standard old cars being pushed hard. nowadays, any car of that vintage is usually a valuable asset and the owners never "punish" them. mostly, they transport the cars on the back of trucks from show to show so they will not even get a stone chip from driving there unaided.

other videos of old cars are usually heavily modified cars that have special suspension and tyres and new larger and more powerful engines and they use them for drag racing (as well as paint them in ridiculous colors).
i am not interested in that because i always wanted to see how a basic old car goes when pushed hard.

here is a 1957m chevrolet belair that is unmodified from factory spec (in a game i play) and i am driving it as hard as i can (within it's handling limits). the car is exactly how the general public would have bought them at the time they were new.
it takes a long time to wind up to speed due to very low gear ratio's in top gear, but when it gets going, it looks impressive to my mind. they could perform well if driven artfully.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Cool man! That's Forza 4 right? Do you have a wheel for the game? There are many times I wish I had a Fanatec wheel + H-shifter for it...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 8:55 am

Briareos wrote:
Cool man! That's Forza 4 right? Do you have a wheel for the game? There are many times I wish I had a Fanatec wheel + H-shifter for it...

yes it is. i do have a ferrari gt wheel for the xbox. it is the only way to drive properly.
i wish that the person who is pictured driving the cars from the outside was selectable, because i would have liked an old man smoking a pipe to be the person shown in the bel air in that clip. the "stig" character annoys me because wearing a racing suit while driving leisurely is ridiculous.
also i would like to be able to select an old lady with curlers in her hair to be shown to drive some of the older cars i have when i drive them insanely fast.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 9:25 am

Call me a distant observing car nut if you will. I know every single make and model by sight.

I love big beasty sedans too and hopefully before the end of the year I'll own a 6.4L Hemi 8). I just love the 300's, it's the only kinda car like it available in Aust (well, apart from the Falcon/Calais/Caprice). I don't know how I'm going to keep it on the road money wise though :P. It's my heart car. I might have to travel interstate just to buy one. If not my heart car I'll probably go for something like an SSV Redline or XR6T.

Toyota Crowns look pretty cool and it would be awesome to grey import a Majesta if it wasn't such a gamble (no service history etc). I'm of the same opinion towards imported recent model Skylines/G37's.

I'm never owning another 4cyl ever again unless it's turbo (a "hot hatch" or something, but alas most come in manual only which I can't drive)

Briareos
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

I'm also like that, I could identify cars by head/tail lights alone.

I wish you good luck with that dream, I could barely afford driving a V6 New Yorker. But I wasn't exactly making great money at the time, so...

This is why I'm glad I'm in Canada, because we don't have to wait so long for nice imports...except for Quebec, they're crazy. 25 year law and a ban on stance... just wow.
It's not out of the realm of possibility to do a front end conversion so you get a Crown face on whatever it shares it's platform with. Look at what someone did to a Nissan Quest; They swapped a Nissan Elgrand front end on to it and it looks like an entirely different - and more aggressive - van.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:52 am

Hell yeah Im a car nut I am obssessed with my lime green p71 crown victoria police interceptor! I get excited driving it every day and um sometimes get in the habit of speeding when cops are not around!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 9:55 am

Briareos wrote:
I'm also like that, I could identify cars by head/tail lights alone.

I wish you good luck with that dream, I could barely afford driving a V6 New Yorker. But I wasn't exactly making great money at the time, so...

This is why I'm glad I'm in Canada, because we don't have to wait so long for nice imports...except for Quebec, they're crazy. 25 year law and a ban on stance... just wow.
It's not out of the realm of possibility to do a front end conversion so you get a Crown face on whatever it shares it's platform with. Look at what someone did to a Nissan Quest; They swapped a Nissan Elgrand front end on to it and it looks like an entirely different - and more aggressive - van.

It's not a dream man, it's gonna be a reality 8).

It shares its platform with a Lexus GS or LS460 I think (same 4.6 L V8 engine IIRC), but they're still $20k dearer to buy on the used market than it is just to import a Crown Majesta lol. I suppose the V6 version of the Crown would have a 3.5L engine the same as the __350 Lexus's or Toyota Aurion? I suppose I could do a front end swap on the latter but no amount of facial surgery on an Aurion would make that thing look attractive.
The idea of a V8 Toyota sounds preposterous here in Aust :P. Toyotas are usually more known as reliable grandpa cars (the Camry in particular, though the brand new model just out doesn't look at all bad).

I have a bit of a saccharin aftertaste in my mouth in regards to Jap cars, especially with Mitsubishi. I mean, the only way you can tell a 2008 and 2015 model Lancer apart is by looking at the build plates, and that's just not good enough. I bought my CH Lancer mid 2007 unaware there was almost a new model coming out :x

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2015, 6:20 pm

I was never really that into cars until I discovered the Subaru Baja. It was love at first sight and Bajas are now my special interest. I just love the way they look and how "different" they are compared to other vehicles on the road. Last year I was lucky enough to bring home one of my own after two years of saving. Seeing one is like finding a unicorn due to how rare they are so saving up for one was only half the battle. The other half is finding a good one close enough to your location without having to get it shipped over.

I was lucky enough to not only get one within 3 hours from my location, but getting my top color choice (yellow) as well. They are fun as hell to drive and mine's not even a turbo model, and also a great head turner and conversation starter. One person has already left a note asking me if I was interested in selling it. (hell no) The small truck bed in the back has also proven to be quite useful and I've already hauled a few small things with it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:32 am

I must admit to knowing very little about the mechanical workings of a car, but I sure like driving on open roads, long distance is much more preferable to urban, and in the past I have enjoyed some fast driving on quiet roads with many twists and bends.

I learned to drive in an old Discovery Land Rover, in a field and around the house, luckily bull bars were still legal, because I done all of my crashing then, its funny now, but at the time I was chewed out of it for flattening some of the ornamental trees and knocking a few lumps out of the house :lol:.

I think the car I enjoyed owning the most was a 328ci BMW, it was just fun. It did become a money-pit, but before that happened, every driving experience was a pleasurable one.