Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Evacony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2019, 8:51 am

Do you think traveling is becoming more popular and why do you think that is. I think it because of seeing different cultures, learning new languages and trying new food. When you go traveling what do you like about it

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:46 am

You'd think it would be less popular now. It's not only very dangerous to travel, but incredibly expensive. There's no such thing as "first class" flights anymore, everyone is stressed and full of rage in planes unless they've been sedated. Except the captain (hopefully).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 10:43 am

https://www.bustle.com/p/when-is-bookin ... t-18136018

I recently had the opportunity to test this theory thanks to British Airways. As part of promotion for its 100th anniversary, the airline offered me the opportunity to experience their business class cabin, Club World, for a flight between JFK airport in NYC and Heathrow airport in London. These flights usually cost around $900, versus $400 for basic economy — so it's pricier than I'm used to. I’m never one to turn down the opportunity to travel to London or the opportunity to do so in a seat that converts into a lay-flat bed, though, so I jumped at the invite.

Unsurprisingly, it was the best flying experience of my life, due to all of the added features that are standard when you purchase a more expensive ticket: i.e., included checked baggage, priority boarding, priority security lines, included meals, and a more comfortable seat. Turns out, flying doesn’t have to be a miserable experience!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 11:24 am

My view is that there's a whole judgemental-type value system that has developed, certainly in this country, about 'travelling' in middle-class circles. A certain sort of person will judge you based on how 'well-travelled' you are, and such people often fetishize the word 'travel' itself. I recall asking one person about his experiences on holiday in America, and he admonished me by insisting that he hadn't been 'on holiday in America', but had been 'travelling in The States' (a whole different ball game, apparently).

Food is another category that is a victim of this sort of culture. There's a certain type of 'traveller' who will bore you senseless telling you that while travelling, you have to eat what the locals eat. Why? I once spent a couple of weeks in Italy, and found the food there to be rubbish, despite the conventional view that Italian cuisine is wonderful, and would probably have died of malnutrition if I'd stayed another couple of weeks. I bet the locals are thrilled to bits as well when tourists invade their eateries. Oh, and 'travellers' don't like being described as 'tourists', but let's face it, that's what they are.

I don't 'travel' much these days. :lol:

Sorry if I've offended any 'well-travelled' people, I'm just feeling a bit grumpy today...

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2019, 11:36 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
You'd think it would be less popular now. It's not only very dangerous to travel, but incredibly expensive. There's no such thing as "first class" flights anymore, everyone is stressed and full of rage in planes unless they've been sedated. Except the captain (hopefully).

There are other ways of travelling. In Europe, you have a good high-speed rail system that can get you to neighbouring countries with journey times that compare favourably to flying and all the hassle that’s involved before and after your flight. Even here in the UK, you can get to countries like France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany within 5 hours by train although you do need to live in London to get the most benefit from journey times by rail.

I’m assuming you’re in the US? Have you considered trying travelling by rail to places closer to home? I do realise that this is easier if you live somewhere in the States with a decent rail network like the Northeastern states. Might be worth a try if you don’t mind longer journey times. You might it find a lot less stressful than air travel.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 12:22 pm

I've used trains to visit the Northeastern corridor from Washington DC to Philly, to NYC, and finally up to
Boston. As a tourist it is far more practical to use subways and buses to get around locally in these cities.

I went by car to visit Maine, Long Island, Newport RI, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut, and Cape Cod.

I've been around Block Island via tricycle. I took the ferry to get to the island.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:06 pm

Evacony wrote:
Do you think traveling is becoming more popular and why do you think that is. I think it because of seeing different cultures, learning new languages and trying new food. When you go traveling what do you like about it

Certainly is popular for me. I have driven all round Wales now.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:14 pm

I used to enjoy travelling around the UK by rail. Since the privatization of the railways in the late 1990s, walk-on fares have skyrocketed and the quality of service has declined significantly too, whatever the die-hard opponents of the old, publicly owned British Rail might tell you. Going on a two or three week tour of Britain now, hopping on and off the trains, is now only for relatively well-off people. :evil:

Jacosy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2019, 3:58 pm

Yes, traveling is becoming more popular because nowadays it much more affordable. There are many ways to find/book cheap flights or accommodation and plenty of other ways to travel cheap. I think it's awesome, as traveling is my hobby.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm

Some people are starting to do that virtual reality traveling thing. I'm sure it's aLOT cheaper & less hassle & time consuming but I'm sure you don't get the real traveling experience.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:29 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

There are other ways of travelling. In Europe, you have a good high-speed rail system that can get you to neighbouring countries with journey times that compare favourably to flying and all the hassle that’s involved before and after your flight. Even here in the UK, you can get to countries like France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany within 5 hours by train although you do need to live in London to get the most benefit from journey times by rail.

I’m assuming you’re in the US? Have you considered trying travelling by rail to places closer to home? I do realise that this is easier if you live somewhere in the States with a decent rail network like the Northeastern states. Might be worth a try if you don’t mind longer journey times. You might it find a lot less stressful than air travel.

My boyfriend lives in UK, he goes to France alot to see his daughter. I don’t know where he lives in UK.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:56 pm

I used to travel with my parents for vacations, I love going to Vegas, I went to Utah, Lake Tahoe, Grand Canyon, Nevada, Arizona (my mom was born there) I also went to a ski resort 3 hours away from here. I usually travel by car, I went on airplanes too, we took a RV to the Grand Canyon. I don’t travel anymore, the last time I travel, I went to the hospital then healthcare center :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Traveling is toooo much work, you need to pack, organize everything.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2019, 9:14 pm

I think it's a general interest in gaining experience over property. People seem to put a lot of value in seeing other places more than owning a home, for example.

When I was growing up a camping trip once a summer in your home state was considered a normal vacation. Now vacationing in Europe/Asia/or Hawaii for a week or two is the norm. Just like how we transitioned from a 1 car family to a multi-car family, and a 2-3 bedroom small home to a 3-4 bedroom larger home with all the accouterments of luxury (satellite/cable/cell phones/etc).

So when people talk about not being able to afford to live on a modest salary anymore, I can't help but think of how that was the norm for an entire family a couple generations ago. Wives clipped coupons, cooked modest meals, families rarely ate out, shared a vehicle, wore hand-me-downs, and maybe had 1 exotic vacation (after the kids were grown) in a lifetime. Driving to national parks and historical monuments was considered the ideal American vacation.

Interesting how quickly standards change.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 11:04 pm

I traveled a little when I was younger. Only as far East as UK, as far North as Canada and as far West as California. There's so much to see, just in the US. I doubt I will ever travel out of the country again though.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 1:36 am

I love seeing new, exotic places (and trying new, exotic foods), but flying is such a chore these days. It's rare to be in a flight that's not completely full or even overbooked. Here in the USA, our rail network is abysmal so unless you want to drive for multiple days straight, you have to fly if you want to go further than a couple states away (or 5-6 if you live in the northeast / mid-atlantic region, where the states are a lot smaller in area). I have a good amount of experience flying, as Hawaii was one of my family's favorite vacation spots when I was younger. I've gone outside the USA a few times as well, my most recent trip being to Japan, which I just returned from the other day. In regard to OP's question, I wouldn't say it has become more popular in the USA, at least long-distance travel, as many Americans have this awful "America is the best country in the world so there's no reason to see what the peasants in the rest of the world are like" attitude. In some parts of the world, yes, traveling has become more popular. Ever noticed the herds of Chinese tourists at popular vacation spots? Nothing against them; I find their culture fascinating, their food amazing, speak a tiny bit of Mandarin, and have actually been to China; but they are not very good at the whole tourist thing.

#palestinianlivesmatter

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 1:50 pm

There are many places in the country I hope to visit at some point including, but not limited to family who are residents of the South.