What Different Kinds of Privilege?

Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:23 am

Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
A short, attractive man (and, to some extent, a tall, attractive woman) are somewhat scorned by some. This is magnified if the person, objectively, is not seen as being "attractive." Short, attractive women are somewhat favored by men in general---but they are not as "respected" as a woman of average height.
You are splitting hairs -- and dragging this thread off-topic again.

I can see the point... we often concentrate on advantages we don't have, but there's always the other side of the coin... to anything.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:26 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
The term privilege is being thrown around way too much. I hate buzzwords.
Same here. It seems to me that many of the people accusing others of 'Privilege' are blind to their own privileges. That's what started me on this thread.

Right, if we use the term so loosely we all have privileges others don't and the term loses all meaning.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
The term privilege is being thrown around way too much. I hate buzzwords :evil:

Privilege is 2019 is largely a weaponized term used to guilt trip people and delegitimize opinion by delegitimizing the person expressing the opinion ie “you have ——— privilege, you can never understand”.

This is exactly what I meant. It's (mostly) used to guilt-trip, shame and invalidate - and not necessarily based on behaviour. If someone was born with a certain privilege there's hardly anything they can do about it except acting like a decent human being towards others, if they worked hard to acquire a skill/develop a talent it's ridiculous to try to turn that into some kind of crime...

The expanded privilege has expanded into intersectionality where your opinions are judged based on a ranking scale of privileges and oppressions based on the groups you were born into. If you were born into enough groups deemed oppressed you need safe spaces to protect you from being triggered by those born into enough groups deemed privileged. There is not always agreement as to how this scale should be defined and measured leading to what is known as “oppression olympics”.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:28 am

If we took all this "privilege" seriously, we would never be able to have any fun!

"Having fun" would be seen as being a manifestation of some sort of "privilege."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The expanded privilege has expanded into intersectionality where your opinions are judged based on a ranking scale of privileges and oppressions based on the groups you were born into. If you were born into enough groups deemed oppressed you need safe spaces to protect you from being triggered by those born into enough groups deemed privileged. There is not always agreement as to how this scale should be defined and measured leading to what is known as "oppression olympics".
Or, in cruder terms, an "Oppression Pissing Contest"...

ME: "I'm an Aspie."

HE: "Oh yeah? Well, I'm an immigrant Aspie!"

SHE: "I got you both beat! I'm a female immigrant Aspie!"

:roll: Et cetera, ad nauseum...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:41 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The expanded privilege has expanded into intersectionality where your opinions are judged based on a ranking scale of privileges and oppressions based on the groups you were born into. If you were born into enough groups deemed oppressed you need safe spaces to protect you from being triggered by those born into enough groups deemed privileged. There is not always agreement as to how this scale should be defined and measured leading to what is known as "oppression olympics".
Or, in cruder terms, an "Oppression Pissing Contest"...

ME: "I'm an Aspie."

HE: "Oh yeah? Well, I'm an immigrant Aspie!"

SHE: "I got you both beat! I'm a female immigrant Aspie!"

:roll: Et cetera, ad nauseum...

THEY: I am a aspie, physically differently abled, pansexual, person of color.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A short, attractive man (and, to some extent, a tall, attractive woman) are somewhat scorned by some. This is magnified if the person, objectively, is not seen as being "attractive."

Short, attractive women are somewhat favored by men in general---but they are not as "respected" as a woman of average height.

They're not respected by anyone. It's just that some men prefer them that way.

The reasons are kind of icky and don't take away from the infantilising.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:12 am

KT67 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
A short, attractive man (and, to some extent, a tall, attractive woman) are somewhat scorned by some. This is magnified if the person, objectively, is not seen as being "attractive." Short, attractive women are somewhat favored by men in general---but they are not as "respected" as a woman of average height.
... some men prefer them that way.
What kind of ignorant misogyny is this? The average woman is shorter than the average man, so it is obvious that most men would be attracted to women who are shorter, only because most women are shorter than most men!
KT67 wrote:
There is nothing "icky" or "infantile" about most women being shorter than most men, it just happens. If men were attracted only to women who were the same height, there would be a lot more tall single men and a lot more short single women than there are now. Stop trying to make a fetish or perversion out of it.

Oops! There goes my cognitive privilege again! I had better check it... :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:17 am

I am one who happens to respect short people as much as tall people—man or woman.

I’m short myself.

I would never infantilize a short woman. I don’t think in those terms.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:20 am

Is this some sort of attempt to conflate liking short women with pedophilia? And if that's the case; what the hell?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:22 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Is this some sort of attempt to conflate liking short women with pedophilia? And if that's the case; what the hell?
Agreed. Let's get back on topic.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:23 am

Fnord wrote:
KT67 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
... some men prefer them that way.
What kind of ignorant misogyny is this? The average woman is shorter than the average man, so it is obvious that most men would be attracted to women who are shorter, only because most women are shorter than most men!
KT67 wrote:
There is nothing "icky" or "infantile" about most women being shorter than most men, it just happens. If men were attracted only to women who were the same height, there would be a lot more tall single men and a lot more short single women than there are now. Stop trying to make a fetish or perversion out of it.

Oops! There goes my cognitive privilege again! I had better check it... :roll:

OK...

No what I mean is they say 'you're so sexy because you're short, you're like a child but I can have you'.

If they wanted 5"2 (normal in a woman, not normal in a man) and put up with me, that would be one thing. If they liked 4"11 just because it was a preference and they didn't link it in their minds to submission or being cute, good. But I attract guys who aren't brave enough to break the law... I look underage and some guys like that. I know that because they tell me. I find it gross and patronising.

Not all guys just the guys who like me. Not even all the guys who like me, just specific ones.

Yes it is icky. And no I don't say 'icky' in public, that would only encourage them. I avoid looking cutesy in public.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:25 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

Yeah, if you like someone who looks underage because she looks underage, that's creepy.

It's been happening to me since I was 13...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:33 am

Seems like you have a personal problem there, KT67 -- one that's more appropriate for The Haven.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:43 am

White privilege.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:44 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
White privilege.
Covered under "Racial Privilege".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:45 am

Cis privilege.