Amount of Posts and Join Date of other forum members

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How much do you care about other members Join Date and amount of Posts that they have?
I care about this a lot. Having a lot of posts or an old join date means you are a very important person, and those who dont are less important, in my opinion. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I care about this a lot, but, I think everyone's still equal regardless of amount of posts or a join date. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I dont really care about it, but maybe those with higher amount of posts and older join date means they might have more experience, but thats not always the case. 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
I dont care at all. This was never something important to me. 58%  58%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 24

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:32 pm

DeepHour wrote:
No!

:D

"Equestria to LA" ?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 6:48 pm

No!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 8:05 pm

The short answer is that number of posts doesn't mean jack to me.

And I laugh when folks celebrate there 1000th (or whatever round number) posts, because to me posting on WP is almost like an addiction for folks like me who...don't have a life! :lol:

And participating in those brain dead counting games just to jack up your count is absurd.

But in some circumstances it influences my thinking. For example when you see someone post "woe is me. Nobody ever responds to me here", and you see that they have been a member for five years, but in those five years they've only made 40 posts, you just wanna thrash the person because they expect to get stuff out of WP without putting anything in to it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 8:14 pm

I think the counting threads are ridiculous too, but I've started participating in one of them ('Count to minus infinity') because the concept is just so utterly absurd that it's approaching the level of insanely inspired brilliance. Besides, its author (Cockroach) was an interesting character who had a bizarre WP career.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 11:03 pm

I have participated in too many bits of Catholic doctrinal maundering, advertising last century's menswear, gramophone reviews (it's not hi fi) and rambling in the interview and whatnot threads for my post count to be taken seriously.

I did troll a troll the other day but that was removed. Probably for the better. The troll was removed too.

Some of us get on here and BS a little to communicate however vaguely with our fellow autistic & Aspergers' peoples, so it's probably not good to take post count super seriously. That's why I voted "not important." Because mine isn't important much.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:37 am

DeepHour wrote:
I think the counting threads are ridiculous too, but I've started participating in one of them ('Count to minus infinity') because the concept is just so utterly absurd that it's approaching the level of insanely inspired brilliance. Besides, its author (Cockroach) was an interesting character who had a bizarre WP career.

Oddly I've taken a liking to those word threads. :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:42 am

DeepHour wrote:
There's a member here with over 60,000 posts, almost all of which have been on the counting threads. I have a feeling most people here have never heard of him. He 'retired' from the site about 3 years ago (though made a very brief return a few weeks ago), and if he'd remained and continued posting at his previous rate, he'd probably be the 'top poster' by now (in numerical terms). I once briefly engaged with him in one of the word games, and he appeared to be pretty sharp-witted - he could probably have become a useful contributor (and still might?)...

Roadratt?
Or humanhatred.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:21 am

Raleigh wrote:
Or humanhatred.

BINGO!

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2019, 8:10 am

I'm glad most of you dont care about amount of posts and join date, and you treat people equally even if they have a lot less than you, and so on.
There are forums on the Internet which have communities who care a lot about these things, some even dont allow access to certain areas of the forums, unless you reach a certain amount of posts, for example. Others have no limitations, but no one respects you if you have less than 1000 posts or so, on forums like these I'm talking about.
As I stated in the beginning, too, I had a forum account on WrongPlanet which had a join date of May 2014.
I will ask this, even though I might already guess your answer. But, just making sure: would you respect me more(specifically me, not talking about other people), if I were to be participating on the forums under a forum account with a join date of May 2014, instead of the current Dec 2018 join date of this account?
Again, the question might sound weird, but its important to me to know.
Thank you

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 8:16 am

"Respect" for me- although difficult to feel for people I don't personally know/anon posters on web sites- is based on quality of contribution, not join date or numbers of posts. But, again personally, I don't believe anyone should care what others think of them or whether those others respect them.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:25 am

I don't care - I'm not exactly an avid poster myself.

The only time I check is when someone with barely any history makes highly inflammatory or non-sensical posts.

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2019, 9:02 am

red_doghubb wrote:
"Respect" for me- although difficult to feel for people I don't personally know/anon posters on web sites- is based on quality of contribution, not join date or numbers of posts. But, again personally, I don't believe anyone should care what others think of them or whether those others respect them.

Its not that I "care", its that I want to be respected and I want to be in a positive environment.
Would you enjoy participating in forum discussions, if some people wouldn't respect you while doing so? Of course not. So based on that, I want to know if I am receiving the same level of respect as others, even though my amount of posts are relatively low.
If you find that weird, that's okay. You can think whatever you want to think, but I still want to know how people look at it.
I believe my "quality" of contributions to the forums is decent, and that I'm not doing something specifically wrong or stupid. If you have a problem with me asking about whether I am being respected by others or not, I'm sorry to hear.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:09 am

My take: some people post a lot and are popular, nothing wrong with that, especially when they're entertaining, helpful, funny etc. People who have quality posts, regardless of quantity are always respected.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:11 am

My intention was never to have a higher post count than others. It took me quite a while to get to 500 posts when I first started.

I just react to what's written in my own way. Most of the time, my posts are short----because that's the way I think---in soundbytes, so to speak.

I've also written some pretty decently long posts, too.

I would say that at least 75% of my posts are "productive" enough not to be potentially scorned for being "unproductive."

I didn't start out with the intention of getting to 60,000 posts or whatever. I thought 500 posts were a high amount of posts when I started.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Aug 2019, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

^
I think the quantity of your posts merely makes you more visible, while most of us appreciate the quality of your posts :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:20 am

Thank you, Sir.

I would say about 99% of your posts are "quality" posts. If not more than that.

I don't go on the "counting threads" at all. I do the "word games" sometimes.

I like the "Two Truths and a Lie" thread, and "This and That." Both of these have the high potential to evoke "quality posts."