Things Get Smaller As One Gets Older.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 6:07 am

Have you ever noticed how things get soo much smaller as one gets older?
For example, in my early 20's, as my youngest brother was in primary school (18 year difference) and they had a sports day, I helped take some of the chairs back into the school which is the school I used to go to. The chairs were so small. The toilets were tiny! How come? They weee never that small when I was in school. But everything was in the same place as where I left it all those years ago!
I passed my grandparents old cottage. I remember the square coloured glass windows... Yet today the whole cottage seems to have shrunk! It is the same as it ever was. But smaller. Oh. And the windows and doors are now red. My grandparents first had them light blue and then a lovely yellow (Or was it yellow first?) The yellow reallysuited the cottage. Somehow the red does not do it justice... But someone likes the colour. Post office red... Maybe they had it free if the current owner is a postman! Haha!

But how come so many things get smaller as one gets older? :lol:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 6:11 am

I've noticed that. Not only do things get smaller, but also as one gets older, their world gets smaller. Less travel, then no travel. Then just the neighborhood. Then just the house or apartment. Then, typically a nursing home, then just their bed. This is reason to enjoy every day as you have it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 6:37 am

When young one collects things. One has more and more things. Then one day one realizes the big collection of things needs maintaining and needs to be kept in good condition with limited space to keep things.
Then one starts to concentrate on the more essential things so one has less things to deal with. One starts to try to find new homes for things one is no longer using...
And the plan is to reduce the collection of things to me more manageable.
Yes, I do need things. Minimalist lifestyle needs lots of money to support it. Aquiring things while others are offloading means one can live without a high income.
However... One ends up with the above scinario of too many things!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 8:04 am

I grew up at the top of what I thought was a gigantic hill.

I thought it was a pretty decent size even when I was 14 (the year I moved away from that neighborhood).

When I come back now, I find that this hill is insignificant in the extreme.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 8:46 am

Haha. Yes. Everything gets smaller!

Actually reminds me when my brother was dating a Dutch girl. She was from Holland. He went over there and they took him to a place where there was a manmade rize to allow one road to pass over another. On the two banked rizes either side of the road, people used to drive foe miles so they could sit there. His girlfriend had told him about going to see the hills. It was these two rises. The highest hills in Holland except for one. These hills were about 30ft high. The only higher hill they said they had was manmade and was exclusively used to train their soldiers how to climb hills! (Fair enough. I can imagine being dropped off in a foreign country and then having to first walk up a hill where one had not seen oe before! Haha!)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 8:57 am

I wonder what Mr Davro would think of the title to this thread? Haha! It is funny though, how with recalling memories when we were yonuger, how our size has an impact on our memories.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Sep 2019, 10:24 am

I notice things at grocery stores like packs & containers of food keep getting smaller while the prices keep going up. I believe that's due to inflation. I also notice that things like computers get smaller but I believe that's due to the technology improving & getting better.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 9:58 pm

They find cheaper way to make things. Smaller = less materials = cheaper to make = more profits.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 7:48 am

I stopped growing in 8th grade, things just get smaller every year and I feel way too much like Alice.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 7:55 am

Alice? Yes.

Is that you in the picture?

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 8:16 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Alice? Yes.

Is that you in the picture?

Yes, that's me! I'm not actually psychedelic-colored though. Sorry if that's disappointing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 8:34 am

The photo is small so I can't see too much. But you look pretty.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 8:48 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The photo is small so I can't see too much. But you look pretty.

Thanks, that is very kind of you to say!

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:53 pm

I almost s**t my pants when I read the title of this thread.

Because I thought that it was going to be about genitals. I thought, "no please, not that!"

Phew.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 5:01 pm

Haha. Well. I did word tne title to have more then one meaning. I wanted to see if it caught B. Davro's eyes. Haha! He will love this thread. :D
Though it is in ocent really. It is all about our perspective on life and memories compared to how things are now.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 6:07 pm

I had this same experience, just recently. We went to a natural spring for some swimming, the park officials had built up a nice stone enclosure all around the pool years ago. When I was a kid it was a big spot for end of year school parties. I remember thinking the walls were very tall, the pool was very wide (too wide to try and swim across) and in general, just very big.

As I walked up after about 40 years of having not seen the place, I couldn't believe it. It was so small. The only thing that hadn't changed was the water temperature. It's 72 degrees year round and it feels very cold when I first jump in. It was a nice day. I really enjoyed the memories it conjured for me.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.