Yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
What's a smartphone? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 8:15 am

I read an article this morning that discussed one anomaly in the Millennial Generation.

Millennials only truly relax for seven hours-a-week, according to a new survey — and it's because they're too wrapped up in their phones.

A poll of 2,000 British adults aged 18-34 found that hectic home and work lives mean they get less than 60 minutes to themselves each day. And around six in 10 even say they "never" truly relax, because they’re always checking their phone for emails and messages. A tenth even admitted they struggle to go longer than 10 minutes without checking their smartphones.

A staggering nine in 10 also confessed to opening their phone, even though they know they haven’t had any messages, just to look at the screen.

Sixty-two percent even went as far as to say they find modern life stressful while 46 percent wish smartphones had never been invented, to make it easier for them to switch off.

As for their methods for unwinding, the respondents took different approaches: One in five said they take their dogs for a walk, while 14 percent put their phones away and out of sight. However, turning on the TV is the most popular way to relax (59 percent) — more than reading a book (54 percent) or going for a walk (52 percent).

Thirty percent claimed to have made an effort to spend more time relaxing, only for it to not "stick" and then slide back into their mile-a-minute lives.

In addition to revealing just how stressed millennials can be, the study also revealed some of the most relaxing sounds, with the sea coming out on top at 52 percent. Thirty percent of those surveyed, via OnePoll, love to hear the sound of rain on a window, and 28 percent are soothed by the sound of waterfalls.

Source: Millennials have less than 7 hours of relaxation time per week, survey claims

And I don't even own a smartphone because I do not even have cell phone reception where I live!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:23 am

I'm 45 and I have a cell phone. I've used it a lot to take photos of my art and crafts and upload it, but I've only taken a couple of selfies. I can't afford the access to mobile games and other things.

But I spend most of my time on the computer, and it's about the only time I'm truly relaxed... unless I see read or hear something really upsetting.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 1:28 pm

I have a smartphone and use it a lot.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 6:48 pm

I do have a Smartphone but I use it more as a fidget toy and a calculator while I’m out shopping. I pick up my phone 86 times a day on average because I just like to hold it when I’m stressed even if I am not looking at it.

I get easily bored so I literally can’t be on my phone for long. Honestly I spend more time at the gym and coloring than my phone.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2019, 9:52 pm

I've never had a smart phone and at this point don't even have a mobile. I had this excellent subscription called Ring Kontant where I bought cards with codes that allowed me to enter them and then call and text for a certain amount. Because I used my phone as a phone and not a do-it-all toy, I didn't need another card for ages, and since it had to be renewed (a new code inserted) every 15 months), I lost my subscription. I forgot all about it, but it still sucks. I get punished for not using my phone more. Boo Telenor! I can't be bothered to get a new one cause I don't think I'll ever get a such cheap subscription again.

Quote:
A staggering nine in 10 also confessed to opening their phone, even though they know they haven’t had any messages, just to look at the screen.
If those responses were serious, I wonder if it's a form of NT stimming?

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 1:29 am

I mostly use my smartphone for calls, texting, looking at the weather and listening to music on spotify. Sometimes I look at the internet but I kinda prefer to do that on a computer. Or sometimes I will just pretend I am looking at my phone or doing something on it to avoid feeling awkward. I also participate in pokemon go sometimes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 4:24 am

I can't live without my phone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2019, 5:36 am

I have a smartphone but it's pretty old. The reason I don't have a much newer smartphone is cuz I really like having a physical keypad & they quit making phones with them years ago. I do check my phone a lot sometimes but it's mostly when I'm watching TV downstairs partly out of boredom Or it's when I'm expecting texts like when my girlfriend is away for the weekend & texting me periodically. Besides texting I mostly just go through & delete email. I get aLOT of political emails & I'll delete everything that isn't a petition or survey. I cant sign many petitions or take many surveys on my phone cuz the browser won't work with at least half the sites due to my phone being outdated. I just leave the petitions & surveys in my email till I get on my desktop. I do check email a bit when I'm out sometimes but it's mostly when I'm board like while riding a bus.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 5:48 am

I had a smartphone one of my granddaughters lent me . I could work out how to make calls , but not the myriad of other things it could do.
The other granddaughter borrowed it because her one broke. She put her sim card in and lost the one that had been in it.

I occasionally ask myself whether I should get one. I wouldn't use one much, but it might be handy in certain situations. I guess it's different if you have a good number of contacts and, would make good use of one.

If I got one it would have to be one suitable for a person with clumsy fingers.
I've heard Doro smartphones are quite good.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 7:29 am

I'm considered to be in generation Z. Which is often thought to be the generation after millennials. I've also heard people call millennials generation Y, but I understand why that name didn't stick. :lol:

As for the poll question, I voted yes. I do a lot of things on my phone, but I still prefer my laptop. When I'm in a group conversation face to face, I usually don't check my phone much. When I do, it's usually to see what time it is. Sometimes I'll turn off notifications or my WiFi connection. I like to give current conversations my full attention if possible. However, if I'm waiting for someone I might play a game on my phone to pass the time. A group of older people once scolded me for doing so whilst I was waiting for a bus. They had a rant at me about my generation not living in the moment enough.

I often use my phone and/or my laptop to organise plans regarding when I'm going to meet with someone. Or to keep in touch with relatives. I don't mind using my phone to make calls, but when I do it tends to be either to my parents or a business. Occasionally I'll phone a friend if I can't find them.

When I was younger, back in the noughties, I used to have rather long conversations on the phone with friends (apologies to my parents). However, I'm more likely to use direct messages or video conversations these days.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 11:41 am

I call it a cell phone but I guess it's really a smart phone. But so many people use them to do things that aren't smart at all.

When I was younger teenagers were supposed to talk to their friends on the *telephone* all the time, but if their parents wanted to talk to them the teens would rather clean their disgustingly filthy bedroom. I guess I was never really a teenager.