Do You Sometimes Mix Up Well Known Phrazes?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 1:08 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Actually...I am not sure that the word "style" for that structure you're talking about (stairs over a fence) doesn't exist in American English as well. Not sure because that thing has never come in conversation in my life for some odd reason. So I don't know what an American would call the thing. Lol!

That may be cultural/historical as much as linguistic. Here in the UK we have a network of public footpaths (pedestrian only) and bridleways (for horse riding) which have been rights of way for centuries - notably, long before most of the common-land was divided into separate farms by "acts of enclosure". When the land was enclosed, the boundaries very often didn't respect the existing rights of way, so the paths have a habit of crossing through the parcels of land rather than going around them - hence the need to cross fences and walls in places where the land-owner wouldn't need to for access or moving livestock. Oh, and "stile" is the correct spelling for these.

To give you an idea what I mean, here's the local footpaths map for my district (may be a bit slow to load, and you'll need to zoom in quite a bit) - all of the spider's-web of purple lines are public rights of way for walkers!

We also have byways open to all traffic which are basically mud tracks one can legally drive on. Most local councils like where I live have gone out of the aay to close them and the ramblers have illegally closed most of our byways by fencing them off and placing stiles instead. (I spelt it correctly now :D ).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 2:42 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah our conversations on this thread keep running aground on the shoals of differing vocabularies on the opposite sides of the Atlantic.

There are tons of other examples differing words for things. We drive "trucks", but Brits drive "lorries", potato chips/crisps, and so on.

Even the grammar of the two nations is starting to diverge.

Sport casters in the UK will exclaim "the crowd ARE going wild!", and newscasters will say "the government ARE doing such and such". Sounds really weird to American ears because we would say "the crowd IS going crazy!", and "the government IS doing such and such". Even though the crowd and the government are both a big mass of a lot of people, they are thought of as one single entity in the US if you are talking about them using the singular version of the nouns "government" and "crowd". So we speak of them in the singular in that situation. But Brits use the plural.

Go figure.

Actually...I am not sure that the word "style" for that structure you're talking about (stairs over a fence) doesn't exist in American English as well. Not sure because that thing has never come in conversation in my life for some odd reason. So I don't know what an American would call the thing. Lol!

There's two puzzling terms here in the uk. "Go figure". Does that mean "Think about it"? And another term I hear on this site. "My bad". Does that mean the person is ill (As in classed as unwell)? To us in the UK it is a little confusing.

Good question.

I hear, and use "go figure", and am not even sure what exactly it literally means myself! Basically -"go think about it". But it really means "the thing talked about doesn't having any logic to it".

"My bad" just means "my fault". Or more accurately - a combination of "my fault" and "I apologize" collapsed down to two words. Kinda like "Mae Culpa". Rather handy actually.

Not used in a serious situation like if you cause a car accident. But used in social or work situations- like when you make a breech of etiquette, or like when the supervisor sees the whole staff doing something the wrong way, and then says "my bad! I forget to tell you all you cant do it that way this time. You hafta do it this new way." Its useful in online text as well.

You started to hear it in the late W. early Obama years here in the States. Probably started in the Black ghetto hip hop subculture. And then you started hearing the younger generation of every race saying it. Back in those days when I spoke to middle aged folks my age I would say "as the younger generation would say 'my bad'", and then laugh. But soon I started just saying "my bad" without disclaimer or self consciousness myself.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 3:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah our conversations on this thread keep running aground on the shoals of differing vocabularies on the opposite sides of the Atlantic.

There are tons of other examples differing words for things. We drive "trucks", but Brits drive "lorries", potato chips/crisps, and so on.

Even the grammar of the two nations is starting to diverge.

Sport casters in the UK will exclaim "the crowd ARE going wild!", and newscasters will say "the government ARE doing such and such". Sounds really weird to American ears because we would say "the crowd IS going crazy!", and "the government IS doing such and such". Even though the crowd and the government are both a big mass of a lot of people, they are thought of as one single entity in the US if you are talking about them using the singular version of the nouns "government" and "crowd". So we speak of them in the singular in that situation. But Brits use the plural.

Go figure.

There's two puzzling terms here in the uk. "Go figure". Does that mean "Think about it"? And another term I hear on this site. "My bad". Does that mean the person is ill (As in classed as unwell)? To us in the UK it is a little confusing.

Good question.

I hear, and use "go figure", and am not even sure what exactly it literally means myself! Basically -"go think about it". But it really means "the thing talked about doesn't having any logic to it".

"My bad" just means "my fault". Or more accurately - a combination of "my fault" and "I apologize" collapsed down to two words. Kinda like "Mae Culpa". Rather handy actually.

Not used in a serious situation like if you cause a car accident. But used in social or work situations- like when you make a breech of etiquette, or like when the supervisor sees the whole staff doing something the wrong way, and then says "my bad! I forget to tell you all you cant do it that way this time. You hafta do it this new way." Its useful in online text as well.

You started to hear it in the late W. early Obama years here in the States. Probably started in the Black ghetto hip hop subculture. And then you started hearing the younger generation of every race saying it. Back in those days when I spoke to middle aged folks my age I would say "as the younger generation would say 'my bad'", and then laugh. But soon I started just saying "my bad" without disclaimer or self consciousness myself.

This is cute my post appears to have been editted out ..
This is a second try .
Go figure means , " who would have expected that"
My bad , is polite way of saying , my mistake . With a accent on , go f.... yourself . Often used incorrectly as just a apology . Usually by non united states persons .
A with distinct ghetto reference.

Just a murican doing what muricans knowz best. .

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 3:53 pm

you're dead wrong Jakki.

I live in the USA, and I have NEVER heard "my bad" used in a hostile way by any of the many young Americans who have heard use it in the last ten years. It is a straight up apology. Nobody in America uses it with any kind F-you subtext, nor anything like that.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 4:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
you're dead wrong Jakki.

I live in the USA, and I have NEVER heard "my bad" used in a hostile way by any of the many young Americans who have heard use it in the last ten years. It is a straight up apology. Nobody in America uses it with any kind F-you subtext, nor anything like that.

Believe me . It is not i , whom are mistaken .
Wow , whatta come back ... uhm .. where did you hang out? Which coast?
Having grown up there ...............

Am inclined to be polite and just respond " oopps , .. my bad " Loud sighes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 5:22 am

Jakki wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
you're dead wrong Jakki.

The reporting team of McNeal and Leherer did a huge multipart documentary for PBS on the "Story of English". The whole history of the English language. Then after a few years they did a little follow up addendum to the series about the latest in both research into the language's past, and the latest evolutions in English. They had a young lady school girl on camera, and asked her about the latest millennial slang of she and her peers. They asked her "what would you say if you made a mistake?", and she smiled and said "I would say 'my bad'".

So McNeal and Lehrer agree with me ...that "my bad" is a straight up apology. Nothing sarcastic nor ironic about it.

I live near the Nation's capital on he east coast. I have heard supervisors (the more young acting ones to be sure) say "my bad" when they forgot to give an instruction to the crew. They weren't being hostile nor sarcastic.

It could've started out one way and then morphed into the other. But its more likely that it started out sincere, and then devolved into being sarcastic (in some quarters), then the other way around. I doubt that it started out as a sarcastic expression, and then evolved into being sincere. Things rarely evolve that way.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 11:29 am

This is kind of embarrassing, but I noticed that when someone asks me if I need something and I don't, I answer "No, I'm good".

Am I deeply and psychologically trying to convince other people and myself that I'm a good person? :chin:

Boatman
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2019, 12:07 pm

Do I mix up phrases?

Are bears Catholics?

Does the pope s**t in the woods?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 1:29 pm

SEE: Malapropism - Malaprops
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm

"A minefield of information" - this is sheer genius :lmao:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 2:12 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
"A minefield of information" - this is sheer genius :lmao:

Haha. It was one of those situations where I would say it but somehow it disn't sound right, but I could not think what it should have been because what I said sounded so close to what I should have said. A Frank Spencer moment! HAHA!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 11:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
you're dead wrong Jakki.

The reporting team of McNeal and Leherer did a huge multipart documentary for PBS on the "Story of English". The whole history of the English language. Then after a few years they did a little follow up addendum to the series about the latest in both research into the language's past, and the latest evolutions in English. They had a young lady school girl on camera, and asked her about the latest millennial slang of she and her peers. They asked her "what would you say if you made a mistake?", and she smiled and said "I would say 'my bad'".

So McNeal and Lehrer agree with me ...that "my bad" is a straight up apology. Nothing sarcastic nor ironic about it.

I live near the Nation's capital on he east coast. I have heard supervisors (the more young acting ones to be sure) say "my bad" when they forgot to give an instruction to the crew. They weren't being hostile nor sarcastic.

It could've started out one way and then morphed into the other. But its more likely that it started out sincere, and then devolved into being sarcastic (in some quarters), then the other way around. I doubt that it started out as a sarcastic expression, and then evolved into being sincere. Things rarely evolve that way.

Having grown up in the same areas , that this subtext , phrase evolved from .
And being aware that from time to time things in society are intentionally redifined to take the darker side of things outta their roots .. and powers that be realize that this phrase could get outta hand as others have in the past.
Ie. Queer .. was a very bad thing to be called, ad infinitum..... Now has different context ..even used proudly, but some roots to initial concept exist ,even being used in mainstream media . Have been on immediate periphery of the very , groups that brought some of these phrase about .
Areas of populace , realized wanted nothing to do with and attempted escape.. Still suffering great costs to these rather distasteful associations . With no excuse except social stupidity . Inspite of these things am in a very different . Material situation. Which only served to incense these same people . And still trying to legally extricate myself from such individuals .And attempts to disparge, disadvantage and abuse . In various forms,favourite to use is gaslighhting , by these people . Sickens me. "BUT"
Have found , do not forget the past for they are bound to repeat.
Have not forgotten origins of things including phraseology .
SO , I WILL NOT repeat to you "my bad" . As it appears you have abilities to discern understanding in this matter .. thank you.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2020, 7:32 pm

I rarely mix-up well-known phrases by accident- yet, I periodically mix-up phrases on purpose for laughs via wordplay.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 5:54 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
This is kind of embarrassing, but I noticed that when someone asks me if I need something and I don't, I answer "No, I'm good".

Am I deeply and psychologically trying to convince other people and myself that I'm a good person? :chin:

You are a good person.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 6:19 am

Let's just say my native contexts does not equally translate well into various English contexts and vice versa.

:lol: And I'm no expert in between English contexts and language. I'd be the last person to excel at anything concerning to this.

But I do know some people who do take different contexts of modern English of various origins to the next level. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 9:25 am

You have good English. :)