Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:20 am

Now I know our blood pressure naturally goes up and down and our pulse rate will too. But last night I wasn't feeling too good, so I decided to go downstairs and get the monitor out. I rarely use it... But anyway. I tried it and rather strangely, it showed a lower pulse rate then I have ever noticed before, but a higher blood pressure then I have noticed before. I always assumed ones pressure and pulse go up at the same time or come down at the same time.
Pulse was 59 and pressure was 176/106. Ok, I did walk down the stairs and being a little fragile, (Less frigile then I was a few weeks ago) it maybe up a bit with the anxiety... but a low pulse rate? What's going on? Wierd eh!

I need to get myself out cycling again. If I wasn't so prone to partial shutdowns it would be easier. I have not been cycling while I have been prone to shutdowns so it has been ages... As I fear I may be stuck somewhere and not be able to get back. I will have to risk it. :)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:30 am

Quote:
When your blood pressure and pulse are out of balance, it strains your heart. You might also experience a range of symptoms, including:

confusion
difficulty exercising
dizziness
fainting or almost fainting
fatigue
shortness of breath
weakness

In very extreme cases, low heart rate and high blood pressure can lead to cardiac arrest.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high- ... se#meaning

Check it out with your GP, if it continues?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:43 am

Thanks.

I am a bit reluctant to go to the doctor about it. They do call me in every six months... My Dads side of the family were found to have a condition called HCM and all surviving relatives except one on my Dads brothers side of the family have had operations to fit automatic defribulators. I can't have this done because I would be soo stressed out incase the thing goes off... And I get so many shutdowns just when I visit hospitals. I have never ever stayed overnight in a hospital and don't ever plan to as I know I would get so many issues if I did. It once took me 6 hours in hospital as I had a blood test. I kept having full shutdowns due to the hospital smells, and the needle etc.. Just the bleach smell and the blazing heat in wards makes me need to get out. I was always having to apologise to my Dad, grandmother and others I had to visit. All I could do was go to the ward and aave and get out before I ended up on the floor unable to get up.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:13 pm

Tried it just now. Pulse 74. Blood pressure 142/96.
Still high but better then before. And the pulse rate is more like I expected. :)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 4:56 pm

The diastolic number (the one underneath the slash) is significantly high both times, assuming those results are accurate. It should be checked by a GP or PCP.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

I get checked every 6 months. I need to go cycling again to bring it back down. When I cycled a lot I had low blood pressure. I was told to eat junk food by my old drs surgery. I didn't know what junk food was.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

Heart rate & blood pressure don't always go hand in hand. For example beta blockers like Inderal/Propranolol lower BP & heart rate. I'm on it for a tremor disorder. However the med Loniten which actually is the ingredient in Rogaine is a med used to lower blood pressure but it raises heart rate. People experienced hair growth on it & someone got the idea to put it in a topical solution for hair loss. I took Loniten for abit for male-pattern baldness but I didn't like the faster heart rate. It did lower my BP some thou. I tried it a while before I got on Inderal.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition