Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 2:45 am

How would you define what a bad opinion is and what would you consider a bad opinion?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 3:26 am

A "bad opinion"?

The only time I ever hear that phrase is in a sentence like:"some folks have a bad opinion of Joe Blow as a supervisor".

In that context "having a bad opinion" means "to think less of", or "dislike", or "not approve of".

The phrase "bad opinion" COULD be used to mean that the opinion itself is invalid because the person doing the opining does know what they are talking about. "Joe Blow knows more about primatology than does John Doe, so I value Joe Blow's opinions about the existance of bigfoot more than I do John Doe's. Joe Blow has better opinions on the subject". But I don't usually hear it used that way.

So...if you mean "good/bad opinion" in the usual way then there is nothing mysterious about it. If someone says "ever since that day I got sick from eating their tacos I have had a bad opinion of Taco Bell" it is rather clear that they mean that they have an aversion to eating at a Taco Bell.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 8:23 am

League_Girl wrote:
How would you define what a bad opinion is and what would you consider a bad opinion?
1) An opinion based on hearsay, innuendo, and/or rumor.

2) An opinion based on irrelevant facts.

3) An opinion based on spurious logic.

4) An opinion based on religious doctrine.

5) An opinion based on superstition.

6) An opinion based on delusional thinking.

7) An opinion based on false data and/or outright lies.

8) An opinion based on assumptions, presumptions, and/or bigotry.

9) An opinion based on other bad opinions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 8:46 am

A bad opinion is impossible to define other than ones own opinion of others and there own opinions.Fnords definitions of a bad opinion are all correct,but what then defines the criteria of the examples Fnord laid out.

Thats why there is so much conflict in the world because no one can agree on what is right and what is wrong.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 9:01 am

Opinions are similar to conclusions and diagnoses, so I based my previous list on "What makes a bad conclusion/diagnosis?" Basically, the answer then becomes "Anything not based on verifiable facts and valid empirical data."

But that's just my opinion...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 9:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Opinions are similar to conclusions and diagnoses, so I based my previous list on "What makes a bad conclusion/diagnosis?" Basically, the answer then becomes "Anything not based on verifiable facts and valid empirical data."

But that's just my opinion...

:wink:
If it's based on verifiable facts it's surely a good opinion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 10:25 am

A revised and updated list.

[opinion=mine]

What Makes for a 'Bad' Opinion?

Any opinion that is based solely on...

... assumptions and/or presumptions.

... bigotry and/or prejudice.

... coincidental events.

... delusional thinking.

... emotions, feelings, and/or intuition.

... false data and/or outright lies.

... hearsay, innuendo, and/or rumor.

... hypothetical and/or imaginary events.

... irrelevant facts.

... legends, myths, and/or works of fiction.

... religious doctrine.

... poetry and/or song lyrics.

... spurious logic.

... superstition.

... suspicion.

... unexplained events.

... other opinions.

Basically, a 'bad' opinion is one that is NOT based on verifiable facts and valid empirical data.

[/opinion]

:D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 3:28 pm

An example of a bad opinion would be thinking ADHD is a made up condition and that it didn't exist back in the days. Or a bad opinion is thinking you can turn your kids trans or that you can make your kid gay or thinking only god can heal diseases and you don't need a doctor and if you pray to god hard enough, he will fix all your problems, no need for therapy.

All bad opinions here.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2019, 3:31 pm

Opinions and like A$$_oles. Everybody has one, and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 3:37 pm

League_Girl wrote:
An example of a bad opinion would be thinking ADHD is a made up condition and that it didn't exist back in the days. Or a bad opinion is thinking you can turn your kids trans or that you can make your kid gay or thinking only god can heal diseases and you don't need a doctor and if you pray to god hard enough, he will fix all your problems, no need for therapy.

All bad opinions here.

It seems you're referring to uninformed, ignorant or just plain stupid opinions :lol: (not to nitpick, but when I say "I have a bad opinion" on something I mean I think badly of it - sorry non-native speaker allert)

Reminds me of the memorable moment when I first heard (on the net, of course) the expression "the correct opinion" 8O - although that is something completely different.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 4:42 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

All bad opinions here.

It seems you're referring to uninformed, ignorant or just plain stupid opinions :lol: (not to nitpick, but when I say "I have a bad opinion" on something I mean I think badly of it - sorry non-native speaker allert)

This.
I am a native speaker of American English. This is correct. The expression "to have a bad opinion" means to "think less of, or to dislike, something".

Folks will describe themselves as "having a bad opinion of such and such".

The phrase is rarely used to mean that the opinion itself is of questionable quality (ie uninformed, non expert, or bat s**t crazy).

If you, League Girl, use the phrase "bad opinion" the way that you use the phrase you will just confuse folks.

If you say "Joe has a bad opinion about such and such" it will sound like you mean "Joe dislikes such and such" when what you mean is "Joe doesn't know squat about such and such, so don't listen to him". Not the same thing.

So if what you mean is "the opinion itself is of questionable quality" (not an expert opinon, or whatever) then do not refer to it as a "bad opinion". Refer to it as what it is, as a "non expert opinion". Or by whatever adjective applies to the problem with the person giving the opinion ( irrational, or whatever).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

Someone on Twitter once said about me that I have a mess of lot of bad opinions and I was confused about it because I rarely ever post my opinions on my page. I had an online friend look at it and he said only thing people might think that is a bad opinion is what I post about Donald Trump because it might offend them. I am anti Trump and have posted and liked mockery stuff about him.

I asked my online friend what he thinks a bad opinion is and he said to him a bad opinion is when someone has an opinion that cannot be backed up from facts and people form an opinion based on emotion than on facts and logic.

Another person said on youtube in a video that a bad opinion is when someone doesn't back up their opinion and defend it. I disagree because not everyone wants to debate their views and argue and I get it, some people love to have a debate so they may try and pick an argument with you when they disagree with you so they can try and change your view. But it was ironic when this guy said if you think there is no such thing as a bad opinion, you're an idiot and he didn't back it up lol.

I think bad opinion is subjective and everyone has their own definition of what a bad opinion is. I also think bad opinion basically means for some people, "I don't agree with you so therefore your opinion is bad."

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:50 pm

There’s no such thing as a bad opinion. Conversely, there’s no such thing as a good opinion. To quote my jackass of a brother, “Opinions are like as*holes: everyone has one!”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
... I think bad opinion is subjective and everyone has their own definition of what a bad opinion is. I also think bad opinion basically means for some people, "I don't agree with you so therefore your opinion is bad."
This opinion, being subjective, is bad. Good opinions are objective ones. “Your opinion is not fact-based so therefore your opinion is bad” seems to be a better argument...

... in my opinion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
There’s no such thing as a bad opinion. Conversely, there’s no such thing as a good opinion. To quote my jackass of a brother, “Opinions are like as*holes: everyone has one!”

"...and they all stink." is how you're supposed finish the saying. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 7:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
"...and they all stink." is how you're supposed finish the saying.
I had always heard it ended with “... and they’re usually full of s***!”

Or maybe I’m thinking of opinions being like politicians... ?