Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
It is always active,
It is always creative,
My brain has always been slow & uncreative except for some of the time I was suffering from a psychotic depression. I'm pretty ret*d in some ways compared to my peers. I assume some of it is cuz of my ADD. I lose focus & zone out & daydream about nothing.

Don't put yourself down, Nick,
That's *my* job. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Pepe Adams. :jester:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:32 pm

Pepe wrote:

I am hyper-sensitive to caffeine.
When I don't have my coffee (or covfefe) in the morning, I'm rather "blah".
When I have a snootful, I get very creative,
But don't get on my bad side if you want to live. :twisted:

Have you looked into whether or not caffeine inordinately affects you also?

Sometimes I am not believed when I say this, but caffeine tends to make me drowsy. Then people say "Oh, you just need to increase the amount!", I've tried that, it makes me drowsy even faster. "Try it hot!" Yep, same result. "Cold!" The same.

"How about trying it in the morning/afternoon?" same problem. I have experimented with various factors, and I so very rarely feel a buzz from it. Whenever I do it barely lasts any time at all.

On a few occasions I have had caffeine when I was hyper, and I was suddenly hit with tiredness. I have actually had coffee before in order to calm down.

Trouble is, I do enjoy iced coffee sometimes. But it slows down my reflexes, it makes me drowsy and my brain becomes sluggish/zoned out. However, I have found that I can fight against the effects somewhat. If I eat straight afterwards then that slows down the exhaustion. Sometimes it just makes me relaxed rather than exhausted.

Whenever I have high amounts of sugar and caffeine, well that's a bizarre experience. Either they cancel each other out, or I go rapidly back and forth between wanting to jump around and wanting to sleep for a couple hours. :lol:

So I guess you could say that I am oversensitive to caffeine, but unfortunately I am so in a way which doesn't help my creativity. I avoid coffee when I want to be creative.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:56 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I am hyper-sensitive to caffeine.
When I don't have my coffee (or covfefe) in the morning, I'm rather "blah".
When I have a snootful, I get very creative,
But don't get on my bad side if you want to live. :twisted:

Have you looked into whether or not caffeine inordinately affects you also?

Sometimes I am not believed when I say this, but caffeine tends to make me drowsy. Then people say "Oh, you just need to increase the amount!", I've tried that, it makes me drowsy even faster. "Try it hot!" Yep, same result. "Cold!" The same.

"How about trying it in the morning/afternoon?" same problem. I have experimented with various factors, and I so very rarely feel a buzz from it. Whenever I do it barely lasts any time at all.

On a few occasions I have had caffeine when I was hyper, and I was suddenly hit with tiredness. I have actually had coffee before in order to calm down.

Trouble is, I do enjoy iced coffee sometimes. But it slows down my reflexes, it makes me drowsy and my brain becomes sluggish/zoned out. However, I have found that I can fight against the effects somewhat. If I eat straight afterwards then that slows down the exhaustion. Sometimes it just makes me relaxed rather than exhausted.

Whenever I have high amounts of sugar and caffeine, well that's a bizarre experience. Either they cancel each other out, or I go rapidly back and forth between wanting to jump around and wanting to sleep for a couple hours. :lol:

So I guess you could say that I am oversensitive to caffeine, but unfortunately I am so in a way which doesn't help my creativity. I avoid coffee when I want to be creative.

Inexplicably strange.
You are a human,
Are you not? 8O

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 10:07 pm

I’ve heard from a psychologist that, since caffeine is a stimulant, it can function like Ritalin for people who have ADHD.

Caffeine doesn’t make me tired, but it does help me focus in the same way that stimulant medication does.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 10:25 pm

this ADHD'er is a big fan of strattera. for the first and only time in my life, i was able to be both relaxed AND alert at the same time! 8)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2020, 10:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
this ADHD'er is a big fan of strattera. for the first and only time in my life, i was able to be both relaxed AND alert at the same time! 8)
When I tried Strattera it made it harder for me to focus but I was on a lot of other psych meds at the time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 10:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
When I tried Strattera it made it harder for me to focus but I was on a lot of other psych meds at the time.

your mileage may vary. i am guessing there were some incompatible meds there.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 7:42 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve heard from a psychologist that, since caffeine is a stimulant, it can function like Ritalin for people who have ADHD.

Caffeine doesn’t make me tired, but it does help me focus in the same way that stimulant medication does.

I have heard that too,
But in my case, it certainly doesn't calm my ADD,
It makes it worse.
And since I take caffeine to help me with physical chores,
That probably is a good thing because I can simply stop drinking coffee and eating chocolate to calm down.

The effect of caffeine seems to circumvent "the stop and think before talking/doing" circuit in me.
Curious.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 11:12 am

Pepe wrote:
Inexplicably strange.
You are a human,
Are you not? 8O

The jury is still out on that one. :lol:

I got asked that same question by someone else once in a similar conversation.

Pepe wrote:
The effect of caffeine seems to circumvent "the stop and think before talking/doing" circuit in me.
Curious.

Whereas for me it seems to work as an off switch. I remember back in school we did a science experiment on the effects of caffeine, where we had to test our partner's reaction times before and after. So I decided to be the one writing down the times, because I was aware that if I were the one being tested it would throw off the results. I also had my lab partner read out the times to me because otherwise there was a chance I might read the numbers incorrectly (I have visual processing issues, sometimes numbers switch around).

Anyway, getting back to the caffeine, I have some thoughts. It doesn't seem to be related to the sugar, since I've tried it without sugar. Even when I have completely plain coffee- no milk and sugar- I still get tired. Dark, strong coffee just works faster at making me drowsy. Perhaps it is related to my metabolism. My body could be breaking it down too quickly, skipping the buzz of energy part and going straight to the crash stage. I doubt that I have much built up tolerance for it, I don't have coffee that often. The only times I have manged to feel a slight buzz was when I consumed it late in the evening/night. Which only lasted for under a minute.

I remember having it once, and I had the urge to jolt my arm outwards suddenly. So I did. I thought "Oh, this must be the buzz people talk about". Then I yawned and my thoughts started to feel a little fuzzy. Once I walked back to this holiday resort I was staying at, I soon fell asleep on a sofa. I wonder if it's just in my head sometimes.

The tiredness leads to a lack of focus. I become forgetful, my thoughts feel fuzzy, and I reach a state of relaxation where I'm rather zoned out. The strangest thing is how slow my reflexes and reactions become. I apologise to anyone who's ever tried to have a conversation with me after I've had coffee. :lol:

Sometimes I can be incredibly focused. Especially if I'm somewhere that helps clear up my chronic sinus issues. There are days where I just wake up and I feel like a completely different person. I once had that happen when I was writing an essay I'd been stuck on for a while. Something seemed to click. I made more progress on that essay in one day then I had in three weeks, my thought process was inexplicably clearer. I felt like brain fog that I had previously been unaware of had miraculously cleared. Trouble is, I tend to create rather unpredictably.

"Why can't you work like you did when *insert time here*?"

"You don't understand, I was having a really good day!"

"What?"

"What?"

:lol:

Usually I feel like I'm performing at 70%, have days where it's more like 34% or lower, and then random spikes where I'm at 100% and I wonder why I can't always think that clearly. :|

Dear brain, what is going on in there? :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 11:50 am

I feel like I'm at 34% most of the time....

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like I'm at 34% most of the time....

I used to be like that.
Much better these days.
My thinking is so much better now due to the self-confidence factor.
Confidence is a major ingredient in intellectual ability, for me in any case.
Not giving a shite about what people think helps big time also. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 11:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

Usually I feel like I'm performing at 70%, have days where it's more like 34% or lower, and then random spikes where I'm at 100% and I wonder why I can't always think that clearly. :|

Dear brain, what is going on in there? :mrgreen:

I was thinking about getting Ritalin to help boost my thinking capacity (focus).
The GP said I had to go to a psychiatrist to get a prescription.
That sort of took the wind out of my sails.

I might get around to it,
But I'm pretty happy about my brilliance these days. :mrgreen:
Still, building upon the magnificence I have can only be more goodly, right? 8) :wink:

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 10:32 pm

I'm not bored at home but am bored when away from home.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 10:38 pm

Pepe wrote:
I was thinking about getting Ritalin to help boost my thinking capacity (focus). The GP said I had to go to a psychiatrist to get a prescription. That sort of took the wind out of my sails.

ever think about trying one of the Racitam Nootropic drugs?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 1:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I was thinking about getting Ritalin to help boost my thinking capacity (focus). The GP said I had to go to a psychiatrist to get a prescription. That sort of took the wind out of my sails.

Never heard of it.
I'll Google it. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 1:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Quote:
Nootropics, or ‘Smart Drugs,’ Are Gaining Popularity. But Should You Take Them?

Even if you eat foods that contain these nutrients, Hogan says their beneficial effects are in many ways cumulative—meaning the brain perks don’t emerge unless you’ve been eating them for long periods of time. Swallowing more of these brain-enhancing compounds at or after middle-age “may be beyond the critical period” when they’re able to confer cognitive enhancements, he says.

None of this rules out the potential for some OTC nootropics to improve memory, focus or other aspects of cognition. There just isn’t much compelling evidence to support these claims. https://time.com/5509993/nootropics-smart-drugs-brain/