Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 12:24 am

Do people here cut their cats nails?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 1:58 am

Well I do not have a cat now, but many people do trim their cats nails.

Its certainly better to trim a cats nails than have them removed, since declawing can really hurt them....but its fine to trim their claws so long as you just clip off the sharp tip and don't go down too far. Basically you can trim the pointy part if its problematic but their claws should never be fully removed because it can cause problems in their fluffy little paws.

Kinda like people nails, you trim them when they get too long but you'd never tear it out to shorten it because well that would be painful and detrimental.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 5:09 am

I've seen my grandpa pin his cat under a blanket to trim its claws. The cat was doing a lot of angry growling. He was using special clippers for cats.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 11:22 am

Cats do not like to have their nails trimmed and will sometimes scratch you if you attempt it. If you clip too deep they will fell pain. But sometimes especially if the cat is an indoor cat, it may be necessary. I have an outdoor cat so I don't.

If you clip the nails of an outdoor cat, it will find a tree and scratch the tree. That will sharpen its nails again.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Dec 2019, 4:08 am

It's good to have indoor cats nails trimmed regularly. Our apartment lease requires cats & dogs to have their nails trimmed annually. They have no way of knowing or enforcing that but it's still mentioned in the lease.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kinda like people nails, you trim them when they get too long but you'd never tear it out to shorten it because well that would be painful and detrimental.
I've had ingrown toenails removed on my big toes a few times in my life & a couple years ago when I had my last one removed, the doc offered to remove my whole toenail. I declined cuz I was worried about the feeling being different. I've only had ingrown toenails a 3 or 4x total in the span of 10 years & I've had em on both feet so the 3 or 4x is divided by two feet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2020, 8:36 am

We had my cat's nails cut at the vet. We don't do it on a regular basis, I do know cats need their claws, but they do get awfully sharp, especially when she walks on us. When she kneads, it's a sign of affection so I do like it when she kneads for that reason.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 3:29 pm

I trim my two cats' nails when I notice them getting a bit long. My cats are surprisingly good about letting me do it. They wiggle and squirm a bit but don't try to bite me fortunately.

My Tumblr