Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm

Correct Hogans Heroes, F Troop was not not even about the WWII era. I knew the minute I first saw CockneyRebel's avatar who it was. A person dressing up as Sargent Schultz would be would likely have a comedic facial expression and movements.

Today's Nazis do not even dress up like that at least not in public so if I saw I a lone guy in full Nazi uniform(not costume) walking down the street my first thought would be that he is a clueless WWII buff. I have known some men that have or had large collections of Nazi memorabilia and they were not Nazis. In the 70s there were a lot of guys that had confederate decals on their cars and had the "rebel" look bandanna, long hair. Since these people were from Long Island and some of them were Jewish most of them did not do it because they thought the wrong side won the civil war. It usually meant they were into Lynyrd Skynyrd or some other Southern Rock band.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm

Sgt. Schultz dressed in the regular uniform of the German Army (known as the Wehrmacht). I don’t believe their uniforms had blatantly Nazi symbols. Except for the Eagle with the swastika.

The Waffen SS wore different uniforms with swastika Nazi insignia.

Both were represented on Hogan’s Heroes. The Nazis were presented as buffoons on that show.

The Wehrmacht and the Waffen SS didn’t like each other.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 12:08 am

Quote:

And that's why I'm going to stay here using whichever avatar I choose. :twisted:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 1:12 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

And that's why I'm going to stay here using whichever avatar I choose. :twisted:

:heart: :wtg:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 1:30 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

Good on you! :wtg:
Let me tell you a story;
Several years ago the avatar I used was the emblem of the 3rd SS Panzer Division.
I was "debating" with someone (a liberal) and ended up running him up a tree. He got all butthurt and slithered off to the mods to complain about my avatar which by then I had been using for a long time. Apparently he suddenly (and conveniently) discovered he was Jewish. The mods bought whatever story he was selling and made me ditch that avatar. My most recent avatar was of the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Div. No one told me I couldn't use that one so no rules were broken. :wink: No one whined about that one because, unlike the notorious totenkopf emblem of the 3rd SS Panzer Div, they didnt recognize the raised fist symbol of the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Div.

The whole Nazi thing for me is just making a mockery of the left's insistence that conservatives are Nazi's. If I'm going to play that part why not go for maximum effect with the der Schutzstaffel? When I'm insulted like that I don't get all butthurt and run off crying, I turn it around and make the instigator do the crying and it DOES work. :twisted:

You could could argue that it's trolling but it is actually counter-trolling, and without being trolled in the first place there would be no opportunity for counter-trolling. Besides, I have always enjoyed the antics of trolls and consider them to be the much needed spice for any forum. I spar with them for recreation and if I tire of them I simply stop reading their posts. If you stop reading someone's posts, for all intents and purposes they disappear from your online world. Having said; that, forget about people complaining about being offended by anything you post. Most likely they are not offended but only want to suppress you. They are the trolls, not you.

Anyhoo, my new avatar is awesome!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 3:19 am

That’s Arte Johnson from “Laugh-In.” It was a 60s-70s topical comedy ensemble show.

He used to say “Verrrryyyyy eeeninteresting.”

I always thought he was a Russian soldier.

Sergeant Schultz was a German soldier....but he wasn’t a Nazi. Most soldiers didn’t join the Nazi Party. But they were forced to listen to the Nazi propaganda crap. He was presented as a nice, clown sort of character.

I do not like Nazis or the symbols of Nazis. People should read up on the history of the Nazis and what they did to Jews (and Polish and Russian Christians, Gypsies, the “mentally defective, and many others).

Watching documentary films showing what they did is not for the faint-hearted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 3:53 am

And I hope Trump doesn’t get re-elected. I don’t like Trump. America has always been great. It doesn’t have to be made “great again.”

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 7:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That’s Arte Johnson from “Laugh-In.” It was a 60s-70s topical comedy ensemble show.

He used to say “Verrrryyyyy eeeninteresting.”

I always thought he was a Russian soldier.

Sergeant Schultz was a German soldier....but he wasn’t a Nazi. Most soldiers didn’t join the Nazi Party. But they were forced to listen to the Nazi propaganda crap. He was presented as a nice, clown sort of character.

I do not like Nazis or the symbols of Nazis. People should read up on the history of the Nazis and what they did to Jews (and Polish and Russian Christians, Gypsies, the “mentally defective, and many others).

Watching documentary films showing what they did is not for the faint-hearted.

How on earth could even a gradeschool kid mistake Artie Johnson's character for a "Russian"????????????????

He was wearing a German WWII uniform, spoke in a German accent, and had nothing Russian or Commie about his dress or demeanor.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 7:13 am

I guess I was just a dumb kid....what can I say?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 7:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I guess I was just a dumb kid....what can I say?

Here is the problem. By saying that you just slit your own throat and demolished all of your above arguments.

Above you implied that everyone in the WP public is supposed to be SO well educated about WWII military history that they should be able to parse out a regular German soldier from a Waffen SS soldier, and be able to do so at a glance, and without using the microscope it would take to discern the tiny differences in the two basically identical uniforms used by the two subdivisions of the German army
. .

And yet you couldn't even tell a stereotypical 1940's German from a stereotypical 1960's Russian yourself at one time!

If you couldn't tell a Russian from a German how do you expect the public to tell one kind of German from another kind of German? :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 7:56 am

They weren’t identical uniforms. Watch the show.

Wehrmacht had green khaki with no swastika armbands. Waffen SS had black uniforms with swastika armbands.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 8:03 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

That's a good solution IMHO. Artie Johnson looks too goofy in that pic to be offensive to any sane person..

I was playing the Devil's advocate a little bit, but to make a point. The point being that you DO have freedom to pick any avatar you want but with that freedom comes responsibility. If you pick an avatar that sends an ambiguous message then you have to accept the risk that folks might misunderstand it. You cant ALWAYS blame everyone else for every thing.You have to take some ownership if you get flak for something ambiguous.

But sometimes, if you're creative, you can find a way around it.

And that's exactly what you did with that current avatar. It communicates that its a spoof in a rather obvious way that some of your previous avatars did not. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 9:15 am

Schultz was actually an astute businessman. He owned a factory in a town near to Stalag 13.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 10:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

That's a good solution IMHO. Artie Johnson looks too goofy in that pic to be offensive to any sane person..

I was playing the Devil's advocate a little bit, but to make a point. The point being that you DO have freedom to pick any avatar you want but with that freedom comes responsibility. If you pick an avatar that sends an ambiguous message then you have to accept the risk that folks might misunderstand it. You cant ALWAYS blame everyone else for every thing.You have to take some ownership if you get flak for something ambiguous.

But sometimes, if you're creative, you can find a way around it.

And that's exactly what you did with that current avatar. It communicates that its a spoof in a rather obvious way that some of your previous avatars did not. :)

There is always a chance that no matter what you say or do somebody will misinterpret it, be offended, call you out, or try to ban you. All attempts to defend your motives or provide context will only result in more offense being taken.

This has always been true but more so now as we have been conditioned in the last couple of decades to find offense. That is why the concept of Microagressions have gained agency.

In reaction to the being offended trend there is a countertrend to troll by intentionally offending. All of this leaves one with a fear of saying anything and to give up which is the intent.

At some point one needs to overcome the understandable urge to to say as little as possible to mask as most as possible and use your freedom of expression. That makes you vulnerable in an era where civility is viewed a quaint relic that enables the evildoers. That does mean you should deliberately offend to just for the sake of triggering the snowflakes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
A dragon looked down on a peculiar scene.
She saw a planet full of citizens; each was a different shade of green.
Her travels had left her weary and lost.
A new land, but at what cost?

Perhaps I should keep flying and steer clear.
I guess I'll lie here and rest for a while.
A nice long nap sat on the top of a gold pile.
That's what the dragon thought, whilst with herself, she fought.

I'm afraid that this dragon could not stay, for she must be on her way.
For dragons come and go as they please, but keeping one around is not done with ease.
Nice poem!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 7:41 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
A dragon looked down on a peculiar scene.
She saw a planet full of citizens; each was a different shade of green.
Her travels had left her weary and lost.
A new land, but at what cost?

Perhaps I should keep flying and steer clear.
I guess I'll lie here and rest for a while.
A nice long nap sat on the top of a gold pile.
That's what the dragon thought, whilst with herself, she fought.

I'm afraid that this dragon could not stay, for she must be on her way.
For dragons come and go as they please, but keeping one around is not done with ease.
Nice poem!

Agreed. :D